SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: AdRotators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

Would appreciate the board participants' suggestions and assessments of free adrotators.

I have attempted to place an adrotator from
    Nishita! http://Nishita.com and
    CgiForMe http://www.CgiForMe.com

I like both of these programs because All the adds which rotate are mine. I do not have to allow banners I do not want in order to receive the service.

The problem is I am using Homestead (trying to stick with it ) http://www.Homestead.com
    and the Nishita code (the better of the two programs) is conflicting with some other code. A Webmaster can place the entire Affiliate code so referral money is not lost. The CgiForMe code will only allow the web address of the banner site and the image address. A Webmaster cannot place the entire Affiliate code so referral money would be lost.

Any recommendations for other programs would be appreciated.

WP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I'm doing a site for ad-rotator (www.ad-rotator.com - but it's down now!)
    And it gonna target webmasters in need of affilate program delivery.

But it's not operational yet!
    Hope I could show you by mid-Sept!
    Any suggestion of the service? So you don't like sponsored ads? How about promotional ads? (to get more members)

Thanks

------------------
    http://new.123finder.com/ - Helps you find cool domains for FREE & Registers it for only $14.95/yr
    http://www.guideclick.com/ - Qualified webmaster resources (affiliate programs, web design, tips)

------
    Son

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a simple solution, I believe there is some javascript about somewhere that does that. Try searching www.javascripts.com etc.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You first need to know the limits of Homestead, what they can support and what they can't. You can add quite a variety of scripts from such sites as MyComputer, BeSeen and others which 'host & support' features -- and many other scripts that you 'cut & paste' yourself from such sites at Website Abstraction or Java Boutique...but not CGI!

How the JavaScript works on your Homestead page depends upon how it is coded and how it interacts with Homestead's default page formatting - not all codes work well.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>One--Homestead doesn't support CGI (yet), so 'CGI for Me' is out. You will need to use JavaScript coding that you find from a resource site to rotate banners, whether from a site such as Nishita, which creates the the code automatically for you to import or finding a JavaScript code that you modify your self.

<LI>Two--Make sure that when you import your Snippet into your Homestead page, whether the javascript created from Nishita or imported from another source, that it does not overlap any of your other features such as text/images that you already have on your page. That will mess up your page and will not be viewed correctly.

<LI>Three--I know that this will defeat the purpose of a rotating banner at top, BUT sometimes the JavaScript won't work at the top but will at the bottom of a Homestead page. With Homestead and their default table formatting, your script may overlap even after making sure you have no overlaps on your page and you won't be able to change this.

<LI>Remember that Homestead is a drag'n'drop and some imported features just have difficulty...it may just take some tweeking to work or you may have to find another script to use entirely...
    </UL>

Note: Some of the JavaScript that I have imported into Homestead did not work correctly, such as the JavaScript version of the hit counter SiteMeter. When I added the script at the bottom of my Homestead page, it was viewed completely distorted in Netscape. Homestead, SiteMeter's Webmaster Dave AND even a few members of this forum tried to help with the JavaScript coding, but I only could incorporate the Regular HTML Version of SitePoint in Homestead -- which worked fine, but it didn't have the feature to track where my visitors came from.

P.S. I signed up for Nishita tonight, added a couple banners and imported the script into a sample Homestead page that I have and it did work for me at the top of the page -- so it might be overlapping on your page that is causing a problem.

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for your input.

WebKat glad you liked Nishita. I think it is the best if not one of the best free Ad Rotators out there right now.

I have tried repeatedly to adjust to Homestead, but I have to tell you, it can get real frustrating. My pages always look great in IE BUT in netscape they are disasters. In the past the staff responded to Email quickly and helped when there were script problems. Over the last 6 months however, the customer service has become REAL SLOW .The "so-called" customer service staff tell you via Email they do not have time to help with "bad script". If you email them about a layout problem, especially one with Netscape their immediate response is your code is bad. They refuse to admit there may be some quiks with their editor.

I am becoming supicious that Homestead is making it difficult to place code from some programs. I chose HitBox as a counter for my site and placed the banner at the top of the page. Also, HitBox was offering a good affiliate program and I wanted to encourage clicks on the banner. Because I placed the HitBox banner at the top I have had more code problems in Netscape than should be believed.

Disappearing text, thrown code etc, etc. I wrote HitBox about it and they said they have gotten complaints from other Homesteaders and suggested I change Web Site Hosts. Now, if I use the site tracking offered by Homestead - MyComputer - I have no problem, BUT, I don't make any money either.

I attempted to place two iSyndicate codes, one for a Newsfeed and another for a News photo. The codes throw each other around the page in Netscape. But, if I use the
    iSyndicate elements offered by Homestead, there is no problem in Netscape. But, I have a problem because it messes up my layout.

I just gotta wonder about some of this stuff.

Anyway, Thanks Again.

WP

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I preface this with I have no ties to Homestead, but was there from the beginning when I first saw an article in PCworld and thought I would try and build a web page. It was a great way for me to learn how a web works -- all the while learning about HTML, using tutorials, reading tips and hint, and visiting so many webmaster sites to help me learn the How To's (which is how I found SitePoint!) I have seen so many changes and improvements over the last couple of years at Homestead, but they have grown so fast and their Tech Support does have to keep up with the growth. But that is often easier said than done...I remember when I could email in the morning and receive an answer by noon! I knew many of the support team by name and they knew the WebKat...

I had a successful photographic organization's site built with Homestead for about 2yrs and the one thing many forget is that Homestead is a Drag'n'Drop editor and you have limited control over what you can and cannot do when you build a web page. Homestead offers the ability to create a free web site where you can build and incorporate features in a day without knowing any HTML...it is not your 'average' web editor and it is not promoting itself to be.

When you import your HTML or graphics you literally can right-click and move your element all over your page. You may position it so that it 'looks good' but with the embedded page/table formatting of Homestead, you may not be able to make it 'work good' - which is one limititation of the Homestead editor. As you learn more about web design you will want to add features on your own. But the page/table default and the Drag'n'Drop editor often makes this difficult. Homestead has incorporated it's own page/table formatting, so of course those elements that they build or add will work better then when users import their own scripts. They will want you to use their affiliate elements just as you want to be able to add 'your own' affiliate programs.

I recently visited the new discussion forum that Homestead added and many of the users that posted expected more than the Drag'n'Drop editor can do, without learning and understanding how the scripts work. And without realizing that you cannot create a web page the same way as if you used Dreamweaver or wrote the code yourself.

I can understand why Homestead is not able to 'fix' outside scripts for it's members. That would be asking too much considering the volume of email. But they do need to know that certain programs or scripts that you are trying to import don't appear to work. When Netscape upgraded their browser last year I had all sorts of problems and I let them know - and it turned out that Homestead had not modified their editor to the new browser version.

When you do contact Homestead with your concerns, keep your email concise and your explanation of your problem detailed. Ask specific questions. You may not receive the answer that you may want but many of the new features and elements that you see on their web site today came from previous user's email requests...

TIPs You can get 'around' layout diffulties in Homestead (but not always) by keeping your pages simple, don't have too many scripts on the same page, be sure that none of your elements overlap each other including text, graphics and imported HTML, and be sure that there are no unnecessary spacing in your imported scripts (even a space at the end could distort your page) - even create your web page by using another editor and FTP into Homestead...As for browser compatibility of your website with Netscape - that will be a continuing challenge for you whether you use Homestead or another editor!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited August 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one's mentioned OrbitCycle.com's ad rotator. They are a very solid service. I use them, give them a try. However, if I had a choice now from the start, I'd probably use MyCompter.com's adrunner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard some pretty good things about MyComputer's AdRunner...

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - I know someone who uses it on their business website and they have been happy with it. I think they have never used another one so it is always hard to judge when you have nothing to compare it against.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.adrotator.com/ and http://www.orbitcycle.com/ are both good.

A lot of the services at http://www.mycomputer.com/ are good too.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I have just been on that mycomputer.com and it has some good stuff.
    I will have to bookmark it!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some php adrotators are awesome.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found another : http://www.addeliver.com
    Anyone use this one?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is adrunner from mycomputer.com a free or paid service?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Free program SFE Banner Rotation for awhile now, and have no complaints. Yeah, it's a weird name and uses flat files but for single site it works pretty good.

Has two install files. Change one line of code, set permissions, and you're away!
    Images can pulled from anywhere and you can add different Weights to the Banners or run it in sequential mode.
    Shows the number of impressions, clicks, and click-thru ratio.
    Although it requires SSI, it works on *nix / NT systems and PHP pages.

Although it hasn't been updated since Aug 99, it does work with Perl 5 and doesn't require any special modules. I have nothing to do with them other than the fact that I'm a happy camper with the program results and would recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdRunner is very professional, and I don't think that it's a free one!

- Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy