SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to All ,

How do I place HTML in an Email so the recipients receive an HTML with clickable banners and links.

Is it similar to how one would format a Web Page. Do you put different tags into it or additional tags?

Does anyone know of an online source which would be helpful??

Thanks,

WP

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Ive never created an HTML email, but im about 99.9% positive that you just build the page as you would any other web page.

basically doing this.

<html>

<body>

Email Text/links/pictures here

</body>

</html>

again, ive never done so dont quote me on it but i believe thats the way its done.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use MS Outlook/Outlook Express, when you are composing your message choose Format > Rich Text (HTML) and then the options under 'Insert' let you create hyperlinks, import images, text files, even <hr> horizontal lines...you can import an entire web page that you have created elsewhere.

Even Yahoo now has the choice of Text or HTML messages to be sent.

Otherwise regular HTML tags will create what you want, but of course if your recipient is only able to receive Text OR has selected to only receive Text they won't be able to view your interactive message...

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would take it that you meant sending your users html e-mails via the web.

Hee's a sample,

open (MAIL, "|$mailprog -t") | | die "Can't open $mailprog!\n";
    print MAIL "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
    print MAIL "From: $yourmail\n";
    print MAIL "To: $member\n";
    print MAIL "Subject: Greets!\n\n";
    print MAIL "<font face=verdana size=2>Hello! Here's the contents of the E-mail. Place your code like a normal HTML formatted page!<br><br>Regards,<br>lynlimz</font>";
    close (MAIL);

Notice that I only added an extra "Content-type:text/html" code?
    With that you can send html e-mails. =)

Using perl of coz

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you an an HTML enabled email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora), and use Internet Explorer 5+.

Load your webpage in Internet Explorer from some location on the Web. On the File menu choose "Send". A submenu will open, on this menu choose "Page by Email". This will open a new email with your entire HTML formatted page in it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by lynlimz:

"I would take it that you meant sending your users html e-mails via the web."

Yes you are correct. I would like to give my Newsletter folks the option of receiving their Email in text or HTML.

Recently I have received Email in text and HTML in one message. I guess if you have surfers on your list that do not have HTML enabled Email they would be able to read the Newsletter and there only needs to be one mailing (not one mailing for Text receipients and one for HTML neccessitating keeping two lists.)

E-ZineZ has a free "E-Zine Builder Tool" http://www.e-zinez.com/
    but it only helps with Text Newsletters. I visited their site a few months back and they indicated they were going to create a
    HTML E-Zine Builder tool but that has not come to be, at least, as of yet.

I am using ListBot as my list program. If anyone has a recommendation for another and/or better "free" list program, I would appreciate it. I have not opened the site yet and can easily make a change at this point.

I appreciate the code but I have to tell you I do not understand it or know how to place it into Email so it would create HTML Email.

Thanks anyway for the input.

WP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by wluke:

"[B]If you an an HTML enabled email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora), and use Internet Explorer 5+.

Load your webpage in Internet Explorer from some location on the Web. On the File menu choose "Send". A submenu will open, on this menu choose "Page by Email". This will open a new email with your entire HTML formatted page in it."

Hello and thank you all for your responses.

Wluke,

I have both Netscape 4.73 and IE 5.5 on my computer. I do not understand what is going on in my machine but when I attempted what you suggested I keep getting the Netscape Email window and not Outlook Express. I do not know why this is happening because I do not use Netscape Email. I only use OLEXP.

BTW, I forgot to ask if it is possible to send HTML mail via ListBot. I find their
    customer service not to be helpful on these types of issues. As I indicated in a posting above, I am using ListBot as my list program. If anyone has a recommendation for another and/or better "free" list program, I would appreciate it. I have not opened the site yet and can easily make a change at this point.

Thanks again,

WP

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are sending the ezine that you have created to your subscribers via ListBot's...NameOfYourNewsletter-queue@listbot.com...email address which sends your message, so that you can send HTML or Text messages without a problem.

I personally liked ListBot when I sent monthly updates for another site that I did...I liked that I could compose my newsletter as I wanted and then just send it to ListBot and they would send out to those that had signed up. Plus the archives worked well for others to see previous newsletters sent!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    I have both Netscape 4.73 and IE 5.5 on my computer. I do not understand what is going on in my machine but when I attempted what you suggested I keep getting the Netscape Email window and not Outlook Express. I do not know why this is happening because I do not use Netscape Email. I only use OLEXP.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you installed Netscape Navigator, it made itself the default. Go into your options in Outlook Express and look for something similar to "Check to see if Outlook Express is the default email provider". Check this box then restart Outlook Express. It will say something like "Outlook Express is not your default email program would you like to make it so now?". Click on yes and problem should be solved, until the next time you install Netscape Navigator.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I remebered this from WilsonWeb -
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Sending HTML and Plain Text E-Mail Simultaneously
    by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, E-Commerce Consultant
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/html-email-multi.htm

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WP1:
    [B

Yes you are correct. I would like to give my Newsletter folks the option of receiving their Email in text or HTML.

Recently I have received Email in text and HTML in one message. I guess if you have surfers on your list that do not have HTML enabled Email they would be able to read the Newsletter and there only needs to be one mailing (not one mailing for Text receipients and one for HTML neccessitating keeping two lists.)

E-ZineZ has a free "E-Zine Builder Tool" http://www.e-zinez.com/
    but it only helps with Text Newsletters. I visited their site a few months back and they indicated they were going to create a
    HTML E-Zine Builder tool but that has not come to be, at least, as of yet.

I am using ListBot as my list program. If anyone has a recommendation for another and/or better "free" list program, I would appreciate it. I have not opened the site yet and can easily make a change at this point.

I appreciate the code but I have to tell you I do not understand it or know how to place it into Email so it would create HTML Email.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey..
    There are many scripts, but basically, I would just do one myself with the features I need. Okie...try going to cgi.resourceindex.com or hotscripts.com and get a mailing list script with the features you need. Then, to add html capabilities, juz add the
    print MAIL "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
    line like what i gave in the example.

To allow users to select html or text would require some perl knowledge.

I'm doing a script myself and it seems to going along quite well.
    Hope it goes the saem for you. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by westmich:
    I thought I remebered this from WilsonWeb -
    Sending HTML and Plain Text E-Mail Simultaneously
    by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, E-Commerce Consultant
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/html-email-multi.htm
    Hi,

Thanks for the link. I will recommend it to the site moderator. He/She probably checked it out already. These boards are monitored very well.

WP