SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What should I charge for Web site design?

I know I've seen similar questions posted ; they seem to pop every so often like Netscape with tables or FrontPage (don't get me started )

Perhaps this will help:
    http://www.builder.com/Business/Fina....bl_FinancialQ

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited August 18, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting a new program where I am going to offer e-commerce related sites starting at $2000.00 per year including maintenance. I arrived at this figure by applying a price to what I wanted to offer Domain Registration, SSL certificates, Online Transaction Processing, help the customer get a merchant account or setup through PayPal, database driven storefront, layout, getting them hosting where I could maintain their site, etc... This came to approximately $1600 dollars the first year and about $800 dollars thereafter.

Then I threw it all out. And came up with this...

I figured each store would take me approx. 20-30 hours to set up and I could do two maybe 3 a week. I wanted to make at least $2000 a week and with 2 stores a week that is my net after my costs. So therefore the price. If the customer wants more work then they pay $50 an hour, but I estimate how many extra hours it will take and then give them that number, if it takes me more they win, less I win. If they are happy with their site, everyone wins. They also have to accept maintenance costs from me, which is included in the original $2000 per year figure but redesigns or new features outside my e-commerce package would be an additional fee.

But compared to other e-commerce solutions which charge a monthly fee and a percentage of your gross income, this is cheap.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a guy who does $2000 a day and he gets it too (sweet)
    I charge $200 for 5 pages, which is extremely cheap, but I dont have anything else to do, and Ill raise my prices later...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really set prices until I find the customers needs and i work out the best for them even if it means refering them to someone else.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future