SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review Homepage Design

Hi I'm Kevin. I'm 15 and I'm fairly new to web design. Yesterday I launched my first website at www.quantumf1.com and I was hoping some of you people could take a look at my homepage design and tell me what to change etc. Constructive criticism would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin and welcome to SPF

First look is that it is a great site and you should be proud of yourself.

There are small things that I would take into consideration. I like the colors you've chosen but I don't like the contrast created by the main content area, with that light yellow background color. Although the color is supposed to look good with the orange-ish background of the site, the truth is just that I'm not convinced at all.

It looks better if you drop the color

The quality of some of the graphics in your slide show is to low and look a bit pixelized. Probably their size was changed to make them bigger. Any chance to improve that?

There area bits and pieces that makes me thing that you do not have all the content yet. The home page has two columns at the bottom, those two twitter boxes... they look OK but the space on the right is completely empty and leaves the design unbalanced.

Something else that you would need to take into account is that you don't have a "home" button. I thought that "sponsors" would be the link to bring me to the first page but I was wrong. I thought it was the right option because there was no "home" link. Navigation is really important for the success of a site. You should add one so people will know how to return to the main page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the help, there's a lot that needs fixing up with the site but I didnt really know where to start!
    Im going to fill in that space to the right of the twitter boxes too but Im not quite sure how to add an rss feed to my site.
    Its good to get advice from an expert!

Thanks again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin i must congratulate you for designing a website at such a small age.
    I went through your website but was not satisfied with it fully.
    Your website is pretty heavy and takes time to load.Home tab buttons are not arranged properly.Team page and contact page were okay, no change are required on that page.Select language option was overlapping sponsor tab. ( i checked in Google chrome).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I think the presentation is to big, covers al window.
    In the rest, it's nice .
    Free: Web Programming Courses HTML, CSS, Flash
    Web Programming: AJAX Course and PHP-MySQL Course video Lessons
    Good JavaScript and jQuery course for beginners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice clean design! thats all I can say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site -good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. logo is usually in the left. You won't need the home button in that case, if you make the logo clickable.
    2. I'd put a nice shadow effect on the white area, seems too uni-dimensional like this
    3. I wouldn't use black as background. it's not elegant and adds too much contrast. you already use yellow, so you're getting enough 'spark'

You still have a lot of unused space, maybe it's a good idea to use it better, so that your content doesn't span too much on a vertical scale. Overall it's a nice design, good luck with the site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can remove the facebook and twitter images from the flash as the links to fb and twitter are already available on the top right corner. Otherwise its a pretty good site

Nandakumar
    <snip />
    Last edited by guido2004; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:36. Reason: wait 90 days for a signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better than quite a few sites I've seen here but there's still plenty to improve.

Firstly that background gradient image is huge & takes forever to load - I'm sure this could be saved as a smaller file, or you could do it with CSS3

I agree with dojo the logo would look better left aligned, and bigger - right now the links stand out more than the logo. Also that black outline should not be there.

You have mostly a clean site until you get to the grunge down the bottom, it seems out of place.

And I personally think those mobile barcode things are ugly - I would only keep it if it's absolutely necessary.

Pretty damn good for a first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that welcome image is quite big ... I see only this without welcome text!
    Facebook social button covers your logo I think it has uncorrect position
    There are free space in the right-bootom corner I think that you need add some social plugin there too
    Best regards,
    Fokebox
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is your very first website you did a great job so far! I don't want to think about my first sites...

As I am a developer first thing I checked was the source code and I noticed the absence of any heading tags (<h1>, <h2>, ...). Try to give your content semantic tags, that's good for usability and search engines. And the heading "The science of racing" - why is that a graphic? Doesn't look like a special font or logo you created - plain text will be better. Same thing in the footer - "Website designed by...". Do not use graphics when plain text is sufficient.

Then you use the HTML5 shim JavaScript but you don't have an appropriate doctype. You need to choose whether you want to use HTML5 or XHTML.

As for the QR code I agree with RyanKing1809 - it's ugly and it's of no real use - the user already is on your page...
    Never argue with an idiot
    they drag you down to their level
    and then beat you with experience

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice slideshow shown on top...but I will suggest you to enhance the colors of your website so that it will look more attractive and appealing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kevin! It's a great start, before entering the site I had low expectations but you did great, especially at your age! I am a huge car enthusiast, so that probably helps, but at a glance the site is easy to navigate, the pictures are cool, and I do like the color palette you've used. I'd love to see your progression as you get more info on that site. Great job so far mate!

SitePoint Enthusiast Albablue89's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent.... You've made a fairly good attempt, with room for improvement.

- The content yellow and background yellow isn't so bad. The black header however is a little more concerning, as it's too bold and contrasts too much for my liking. Perhaps dim that down a little.
    - The nav links, would be better with an active class.
    - If I was too point my finger at anything, it would be the graphics, I personally feel the graphics are poor and bring the site down.
    - The loading of the site isn't the best, and again that's to do with the graphics.

Overall, Good.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be brief. Top to bottom on the site. Ignore me if I sound rude, these are just my opinions. I'm not goign to include any nice comments because you've had agood share of that already

-The google translator dropdown is a bit of an odd place for me
    -I don't know why you have a website hits on there. Why would users care about that?
    -The title "Science of racing" seems very hard to read. For me at least.
    -I hate how the social media thing on the left follows me down the page.
    -I'm going to ignore your code for now because there are some things I disagree on.

Good job however, especially for a first site. As said above, the colors could use work.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kevin you have made such a nice website. According to me few things should be changed. the font size is big and the language option should be at the top right corner instead of centre.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an SEO perspective.. you are missing keyword tags, insert a canonical link tag, 14 images are missing alt tags... This will help improve SEO.

It is a nicely designed website, however:

you could do with some more body text,
    from a personal preference I would move the slider above the 'The science of racing' title,
    Google translator is strange place, i'd position to the right below contact, and i'd bring the header menu upwards to be in line with the logo text.
    Id also remove you website hits counter.

Hope this helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is nice however, the quality of images, specially for the world at the back is not really good.
    Personally, I found that the combination of colours should be changed