SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not impressed with typesetting on mobi ebooks.

I just updated my jQuery: Novice to Ninja epack to it's recently released second edition. I was struggling to justify the price being asked considering I already owned the previous edition. I don't see why Sitepoint can't offer free (or at least reasonably priced) updates to their ebooks when just about everyone else seems to... Nevertheless, considering I hadn't actually read all the way through the book I thought I may as well be up to date. Besides, that's not my issue...

I was also hoping something would have been done about the LAZY (or non-existent?) typesetting on the Kindle (mobi) version. This problem existed in both Sitepoint books I already owned (jQuery, and Simply JavaScript). Unfortunately, that's not the case... the typesetting is as bad as ever. It's just plain unpleasant to read and I absolutely expect better for what I paid. This is not professional work... sorry, this is just apalling. I've attached some images so you can see what I'm getting at. I don't think they need much explanation. There is no spacing between... ANYTHING. It's just a garbled mess.

I'm honestly offended that you think this is good enough for us. Please fix this and actually go to some effort, or else I don't think I'll be bothering with Sitepoint books again.

mobi_typesetting.jpgmobi_typesetting2.jpg

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    Re pricing, please have a look at this thread.
    As for your issues with the formatting, I'll request a response from the publishing team. I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    yeah, i was kinda shocked to read a similar comment about the kindle version of "simply sql" on amazon...
    Good: explains the select statement in a sensible order

Bad: about 3/4 of the book is in bold. Every once in a while it turns off the bold just to show you that yes, they really did use a bold face. WTF, didn't anybody proofread the book?

A good book if you can get past the shouting.
    (bold in quote added by me for, you know, strong emphasis)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kelseynz ... email me at editor@sitepoint.com, and we can discuss this issue (Tom, tech editor).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick responses . I'll email you now.

Wow, I think I should count myself lucky that the book is not in bold :O.