SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal/Portfolio Web Site

Hi everyone!

www.egegorgulu.com

I've been working on my website for a while now and I think it's time for me to take a step back and get some feedback before investing more time into this. It's not 100%, as I haven't dealt with cross-browsers issues(meaning that it may suck in IE) and some small stuff yet, but I think it's worthy of a review.

Thanks a lot, -Ege

PS. I'm aware of the missing close button image on the lightbox, will fix asap.
    Last edited by tatar; Feb 9, 2012 at 16:31. Reason: forgot the link =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks brilliant, and I'm viewing through IE!
    Really good job, man.
    If I can offer any advice, I'd say review that mini about me section in italics where it says: "I am pretty good at working with developers since I’m able to wrap my head around complex behavioral and layout related problems."
    Copy like this needs to be a bit snappier, and a bit more confident. You have to inspire confidence in others.
    If I were you (and I'm not, but I am a writer) I'd think about making it slightly more active, confident and personal, something like; "I love working with developers, and they love working with me, because I'm able to wrap my head around complex behavioural and layout problems."
    Immediately developers will perk their ears up, because you LOVE working with them, you're not just "pretty good" at it.
    Just something to think about

<snip/>
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Feb 11, 2012 at 12:07. Reason: Removed unnecessary link

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Overall good, but with several issues

Overall feel: very good, light and fluffy, web 2.0ey

Home page:
    • The baloon is very bland
    • The copy under Aloha is very convoluted. Try to rephrase.

About page:
    • Nobody really wants to "download" a resume. They'd rather just view it online. Make an HTML version and that button will become "View my resume".
    • The photo is not necessary but if you really want to have one, the smirky expression on your face is not exactly what you want people to see.
    • The self-rated skill scale is a double-edged sword for a variety of reasons. Sure, it looks good and I saw it elsewhere too but in my opinion it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

Works page:
    • Consider using a slider with a "Next" button instead of having people to click on individual thumbnails.

Main navigation (minor issue):
    • The delay with which the red bookmark follows the mouse is irritating. Consider instant highlighting instead.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well made site, Few things I would suggest to improve.

The white font on the light blue background is a bit hard to read, not really but if you'll check your site with a contrast tool you'll see what I mean. It's a bit less comfortable for most people and border on completely unreadable for a color blind, or people without very good eye sight.

I agree with Flix about the picture, I would remove it all together, but if you want one, don't make it a closeup shot of your face with half of it cut off.

I would also expand on the skill list. I know there's a "Works" section, but if I wanted to quickly view your site and decide if I should work with you, I would like to see a more detailed list of what you know and what you can do beyond a list of 8 professional skills and 6 technical skills.

I hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the feedback.

@Flix Can you elaborate a bit more on the homepage. Not sure what you meant by bland.

@Flix & @corwinm do i really look that bad :P

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No man, you look fine, but this close up shot where your forehead and chin cut off is just not well made. If you must put up a photo, I suggest you make a more professionally looking one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really put a smile on my face the moment I opened it. Clean, bright, modern and elegant. I really don't have anything bad to say about it. Great job there.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Looks like a website that presents things , books, etc. for children. This is what i thought when i open it.
    Free: Web Programming Courses HTML, CSS, Flash
    Web Programming: AJAX Course and PHP-MySQL Course video Lessons
    Good JavaScript and jQuery course for beginners

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this site. It's bright and fun as soon you open it and I think the colour scheme really works.

The about section is fun too with the little video. I also like that you have the links to your articles in TechCrunch and TheNextWeb, I think it adds a lot to your credibility.

Keep up the good work, can't think of anything negative to say about it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd Hire You - Overall Compelling

This is a great site. There's a bold cleanness to the content that's appealing and that carries through on the portfolio examples you show.

I deliberately avoided reading anyone else's comments before submitting mine. Did anyone else wonder if the portfolio content was too low down on the screen? I use a pretty large monitor - 23", just purchased recently. While I love the big old expanse of screen you offer, seems to me you could have that more or less but shrink it down a few notches to make sure everyone is seeing your portfolio icons.

This reaction applies to the home page as well. I'd prefer to see you using less real estate on the ballon and the tagline (I'm a designer who ...) and getting some of the other content/calls to action higher on the page. Others may disagree, but to me, this is really important. Your site is your shingle. It's an example of the aesthetic a customer expects you to bring to their project. Very few sites can get by with so much main content down low on the page. Your site arguably pulls it off, but you're not showcasing an awareness of the aesthetics your customers are likely to NEED, with more content higher up the screen.

I don't want to go overboard on this point - you're obviously a very good designer and I can see you use the screen real estate well on your sample sites. But this is my gut reaction, so there it is.

Some things I like/love - the personal info on the about page, the extremely clear, bold links to items, the blue background with texture, the highly original but clean look and feel. You're showing that you can create something people will stand up and notice - that's great.

So, overall, doing a great job marketing yourself here.

I think you could add a bit more on the "About" page. Your concise prose style works, so no need to get all verbose, but I bet you have some kernels of wisdom or big-picture ideas about design and working with clients, so why not put a few down here?

Nice site - good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Its a nice website with a lot of feel good factors like he creative separation of header, main body & footer, suavely sneaked pic of yours and interesting facts spread on the pages.
    One suggestion would be to place slightly more content in the main body of all pages.
    You can probably put more links and information in the footer as it has lot of space left
    In the portfolio (works), if you can somehow add more description to various projects done y you, that wil be very useful for your clients.

While the text 'Hi! I'm a designer with a soft spot for computers' is interesting, may be you can play with some more words (just a suggestion) to give viewers a more clearer and better idea of what you do

Regards
    Pradeep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best website I've seen up for review. There's nothing I would change - except the the little bookmark that floats behind the nav on hover has bad anti-aliasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site mate, its clean, easy to navigate, I love the moving theme (its not soo extreme nor is it boring). The content is well organized and its too the point. There's really nothing negative I can critique about it. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, your site is quite nice because of it's attention to finer details. I love the textured background and the non-standard serif font. I, unfortunately, read previous comments so perhaps am a little biased, but I am actually a big fan of the white on blue color scheme. If it's hard to read the white font, perhaps make the background texture a touch darker.
    I have read in several places around this forum comments made about putting stuff 'above the fold'. But I think having the confidence to put stuff below the fold is admirable. It shows you're secure in your design being able to make the user want to scroll. And, to get a little philosophical, hiding important stuff is a trait of elegance that actually draws the user in.
    Only criticism is that perhaps the text at the bottom of the page needs to be a touch darker to make it a little more readable. The grey on white is for sure classy, and I get that, but it also needs to be readable (speaking as someone with less than perfect vision). There are a couple of other sections on the site where contrast needs to be made a little sharper as well.
    These are all nit-picky things from the point of view of a not-so-young person. Generally, this is a fabulous, eye-catching design.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the icons and clouds. Wonderful design work!

It has a lot o life and does not like a standard or enclosed web page / portfolio. If you want to add a tad bit more life, you could use -webkitsvg properties to gave the clouds move horizontally across the screen. That would only work in chrome and safari, but it may look nice.

Another suggestion would be to draw more attention to the 'current work' box.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent design!!!! I cannot fault it, I think you have done an excellent job!!!

I'd agree entirely with team1504.. I think you need to draw more attention to your current work box..

Other than that great work!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reviews
    What I liked
    1) The design as everyone says is very clean , bright and very professional.

What you could add
    1) Try a better Testimonial Section..where your clients can write something good about your work.
    2) You could think about the Facebook Like Box Plugins.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very good. This is a good way to attract projects..
    Include some more project details and technologies used.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most of the review I liked it, but it would of been nice to of seen a different image on each page.
    eg. The balloon is ok on the home page, but how about a flying saucer or planet or 'something else' on the other site pages to keep me interested and to show that I have moved to a different page.

I personally would of like some more information about you and what you do on the site. This type of clean minimal design is nice and looks great, but as a user looking to hire you I would like some more details about your services, etc.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sure many people have hit on the key points, however the floating balloon distracts my eye at first sight. I know it stops but nonetheless.

Could the hover on the top nav be a bit faster? Takes a second and that's abit too long.

THe links on the 3 columns halfway down the page are orange, and kidn of hard to read. I'd make it bolder or a darker shade of orange.

That's what he said part, the text is a bit too light.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good website bro! Easy navigation - that's what I like. But, the color is too flashy. You should change the color of "designer". I like the baloon thing.. Very cool. Pay attention to About Us page..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work! But I think that colors are too bright! I would reduce it! But the other things like layouts and images are fine!
    Keep it up and I wish you good luck!
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site, but you have to change a little bit the color scheme.
    Easy to navigate, the pages are loading fast.
    Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website, looks beautiful with bluish colour layout. I think it is a good idea to mention your work on your personal website. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks brilliant, and I'm viewing through IE!
    Really good job, man.
    thank