Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where to find quality article writers

hi,
    would just ask where to find good article and content writers for my sites.
    regards,

ivan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of sites you have and mostly what kind of good article writer you want.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about finding writers on freelancing websites? any experiences?
    thanx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ib777 View Post
    what about finding writers on freelancing websites? any experiences?
    thanx
    With freelance sites, its sort of a hit-or-miss thing. You can score a really good writer but then again, you might end up with abysmal content fro your site. Here is my take for freelance sites:

1. Most of the good writers out there wise up and leave freelance sites, owing to the poor rates there. Freelancer.com, Odesk and Elance are not the best places to work as a writer. The going rate, there falls between $1.25 to $5 per 500 word piece. This is not acceptable to many here. I personal started out on freelancer.com and quickly moved on after having to work on 10 articles daily to make $10.
    2. Writers from freelance sites have one goal in mind, to crunch out as many articles as they can. So that you can make a decent living as a writer there, you have to work your socks off. The result of this is poorly structured content.
    3. You are never sure of the content you are buying until its delivered. It might prove to be a huge waste of your time or you might get lucky and get decent content for your sites.

That said, to track down a decent writer, check out blogs, hubpages, factoidz e.t.c. If you see content that you like, pitch to the writer of the content. Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find good and cheap writers on Fiverr.com, who are willing to do almost anything for $5. You can easily see the quality of services before you buy, because under each service description you would find a number of reviews written by customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a strong believer in the saying "If you pay peanuts, you'll get a monkey", and it's true.
    If you want a good writer you have to be willing to pay a good rate. $5 dollars for a 500-word article is ridiculous!
    What does that say to the writer? It says, smash this out as quickly as humanely possible so you can move on to the next one; because those writers still have to earn enough to live off.
    So, if you want good writers I suggest researching what kind of writer you need. Is it creative, informative or is it a call to action (like a sales pitch)?
    Once you've sorted that out, google is your best friend! Google, google, google. Read their portfolios, read their websites, read their blogs.
    Forums (like this one) are also a great idea. But, again, if you want a good writer you have to be willing to pay a good rate.

<snip>
    Good luck finding writers! There are great ones out there, you just have to search.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Feb 10, 2012 at 22:16. Reason: took out solicitation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking up "ghost writing" services or article directory sites sometimes offer these types of services as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that there are no shortcuts to finding a decent writer, particularly for a ridiculously cheap price. Most of the offers in forums and freelance sites are outright lies. When someone offering to write articles at 1 or 1.5 cents per word says "native English speaker" or "completely original content," you are likely to get someone who spins content that was probably not good to begin with and is completely unintelligible by the time you get it.

Ten Writer has some good tips. Reread his post above.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I also agree with Ten Writer, but something a whole lot of buyers overlook is that the better freelance sites allow their contributors to upload a portfolio of finished work or to link to one. Additionally, buyers should ask to see finished portfolio work before they agree to hire the freelancer. The fault of the freelance sites is that they don't make this a requirement. Instead, they often expect the freelancer to do comps, which, in writing is ridiculous. Once it's in the buyer's hands it's good as gone, whether or not he accepts the bid.

Going a bit off topic now, but you guys got me started! Another thing freelance sites like to do is put the freelance writer in an "employees" shoes or make submitted work a work-for-hire default. IMO, that's totally contrary to what freelance should be. If you're a freelancer, you are running a business and you should be able to set your rates, prices, and policies which are not necessarily those of the freelance site. Ultimately, freelance sites expect writers (and others) to be order takers instead of creative and skilled providers. A big part of good freelance is the ability to consult with a client to help him or her understand what makes good web content and what doesn't.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To find good article writers, buy articles from individuals you know off line. Or else... just do trial and error online. Don't exceed your own risk tolerance, but hire someone once, and if they give you good results, then go back to them again.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael10 View Post
    To find good article writers, buy articles from individuals you know off line. Or else... just do trial and error online. Don't exceed your own risk tolerance, but hire someone once, and if they give you good results, then go back to them again.
    The way to not exceed your risk tolerance is to ask to see a portfolio of finished, sold work, including some live and online. You ask for references (past clients) and their links to be sure your candidate has written the work they direct you to, and finally, you make sure the writer accurately quotes your project. There are far too many buyers who state their conditions as if they were ordering a pizza and are completely clueless as to their writer's processes from quoting the project to delivering the final work.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GO to the closest university and talk to the writing majors. Offer to pay them. I have a college student and have over ten web sites I am working on. There is not enough time in the day for me to write unique content for all of them, so I pay other students to write for me. It works out great. They get a little extra cash, and I get unique content for me site. You will be surprised what students will do for 10 dollars to write a great article.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcoxa View Post
    They get a little extra cash, and I get unique content for me site. You will be surprised what students will do for 10 dollars to write a great article.
    I would be ashamed to take advantage of someone else's time and talent for so little.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use articles from ezinearticles and articlesbase

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optionsbinaire View Post
    I always use articles from ezinearticles and articlesbase
    First of all, let's make it clear. We won't be discussing SEO in this forum so forget the fact that Google doesn't like duplicate content.

That said, duplicate content is the bane of the web. How do you expect to engage your visitor with something that has been posted at multiple sites? Duplicate content is a sure-fire way to increase your bounce rate and decrease your conversions.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to ask some employer or someone expert that they can recomend to.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskingama View Post
    Better to ask some employer or someone expert that they can recomend to.
    Good idea and here's another. When you read something impressive, why not contact the website and tell them you were impressed with the writing and asked who wrote it? It's a great way to network with someone else involved in your topic and may also help you find the services you need to add good content to your site.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try and find blogs in your industry and see if theres anyone there who does a good job. can send an email and ask if they will write content for you

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are few good free lancing websites, where you can find samples and decide for yourself which one you want to go for plus it would cheaper for you as well

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Good idea and here's another. When you read something impressive, why not contact the website and tell them you were impressed with the writing and asked who wrote it? It's a great way to network with someone else involved in your topic and may also help you find the services you need to add good content to your site.
    I have been tempted to do on several occasion but I am afraid of being too forward. The website may not want to share either

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 112288 View Post
    I have been tempted to do on several occasion but I am afraid of being too forward. The website may not want to share either
    True, they may not want to disclose that information. But it can't hurt to ask. The worst thing they can say is "we can't tell you that."
    TheRaptor - Joe

SitePoint Enthusiast honeyprime's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend going to firms with a proven track record of dependability and proficiency in offering staffing & management services.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $5 for an article may be ridiculous for a writer who lives in a country where the purchasing power of the dollar is low. E.g. in the Western hemisphere.

But if the writer lives in a so-called third world country then $5 is quite a lot of money.

And there are good writers in foreign lands.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by small marketer View Post
    $5 for an article may be ridiculous for a writer who lives in a country where the purchasing power of the dollar is low. E.g. in the Western hemisphere.

But if the writer lives in a so-called third world country then $5 is quite a lot of money.

And there are good writers in foreign lands.
    Of course there are good writers in foreign lands. What never ceases to amaze me is the idea that their talents can be so blatantly exploited. If the market will bear more than $5.00 per article, then these excellent writers should certainly be charging what the market will bear.

Just think, if $5.00 per article is enough to get you through the day, the week the month, then how would your standard of living be improved if you received $50.00 or even more per article? But alas, that is not to be because their is a lineup of "savvy" entrepreneurs that are eager to pay you just enough to keep you alive because you aren't fortunate enough to live in a "developed" country. It seems to me that those who would cheapen the talents of global writers are suffering from arrested development.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Enthusiast carlhenson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try iWriter. They have a nice interface where you can manage all your favorite writers. You may need to order several articles before you can find a writer that you will use whenever you need.