Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget xhtml strict in dreamweaver mx too, thats why i use notepad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Andrew-J2000
    Syntax highlighting doesn't improve productivity in any way.
    I have to disagree. Being able to catch syntactic errors before the testing phase of development means you don't have to spend part of your testing time ironing out errors such as missed quotes/braces, or spelling mistakes wrt built in functions (and user defined ones if you add them to the syntax files).

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not having syntax highlighting has never slowed me down yet. I just include a library, which cuts down most of the work, and from there it's simple. Which makes debugging on the whole easier.

Also if you document your work enough you should be able to see where blocks of code are to avoid them sort of errors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that helps me is when you open a brace, parenthesis, or quote, you close it at the same time. Then go back and fill in the innards.

And I forget the propper name for it, but keeping your braces lined up helps too.

PHP Code:
    if ($x=0)
    {

blah....

blah....
         {

blah....

blah....
         }

Jason
    ><>
    My home: http://anvilgear.com
    Backpacker/Mountian Biker/Computer Geek Extraordinaire
    "Do what you love and love what you do, anything else is just some form of slavery" - Royal Robbins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mainly focusing on learning PHP development and I'll tell you why I like DWMX.
    • Syntax highlighting (already mentioned above, I find it helpful myself)
    • Multiple file management (through crosstabs similar to most spreadsheet programs)
    • File Manager (nice sidebar provides direct access to all site files)
    • Site management (define a site, and only the files within that site will show up in the File Manager)
    Dreamweaver is not a WYSIWYG program. It's a WYSIWYG & coding program. It's not hard to not use the Design tab in Dreamweaver. When I'm writing a PHP script the Design tab does me no good. It doesn't show me what my page looks like. It hides my PHP code. I don't even go there. I don't want to. I spend all my time in the Code window. I've had a couple problems with DWMX actually (posted here on sitepointforums if anyone could help me with it... thanks) and so have installed my old Homesite 5, as I already mentioned. HS5 has most of the functionality I mentioned above that DWMX has, but it's not up to par and I'm hoping to get DWMX working right so I can use that again.

I got used to the good things DWMX has, and now that I'm having to go without them I find it frustrating. I'm often working on four, five, six files at once, and having one interface, one program to do it all really helped me out. I downloaded quite a few of the programs mentioned in this thread (and in this one) and found all of them to be lacking.

Call me a n00b all you want, but don't say I'm smoking crack. Thanks.
    $slider = 'n00b';

killall -9 lusers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, all of the things that DWMX does that you mentioned you like can be done with other programs that work better. Zend Studio for one has a much better code editing interface, and it allows you to manage your files on a per-project basis (similar to a site in DWMX). Some of the things that I like better about Zend Studio:

When you set up files in a project, it parses through the code in all of the files and can alert you to missing files that are included or required from files in the project.

It also parses your user-defined functions and classes and provides code-completion based on these as well as the built-in PHP functions (along with argument lists).

It provides variable completion similar to the above. Not only does it provide this completion for variables in the current script, but also any variables from other scripts in the project. It limits the variables in the completion list to those that are in-scope. Some people don't see the advantage in this (I can remember the variables I'm using thank-you-very-much)--what it really saves you is keystrokes. When you program all day long, being able to hit three keys to complete a variable name that is eight characters long adds up to saved time (and less bugs due to typos).

It has debugging capabilities that are sometimes useful (although I prefer to just use voostind's phpunit myself).

It correctly syntax-highlights PHP code in files that don't end in .php. This is useful if you embed PHP code in .html files that are used as templates. (It also syntax-highlights HTML in .php and .html files that doesn't appear within PHP code delimiters.)

If you can't afford Zend Studio, TextPad (on MS Windows) is the next best alternative. It is freely available (it costs to register it, but it never times out if you don't; it just displays a please register me box on startup) and has most of the features you are looking for. It allows multiple files to be opened in a tabbed window. It has an excellent syntax-highlighting engine (user customizable through syntax definition files, many of which can be downloaded from their site). It doesn't provide project or site-based file browsing, but the interface is much better than DWMX in my opinion.

All that said, the code you write is ultimately more important than what you use to write it. I urge people to try more than one editor so that you know what is available, but use what you are most comfortable with.

I do apologize for my 'smoking crack' comment; it wasn't really appropriate. I suppose it came out as a misdirected frustration that I have with some of the bugs that are present in DWMX and the fact that I don't think it was a moraly or ethicaly correct decision for Macromedia to release the software with those bugs present and then tell me I had to wait until the next version (which I would have to purchase) was available in order to have a fix. (The biggest one is the fact that if your FTP connection dies while the program is running, instead of handling the error gracefully and reconnecting, the program errors out and closes if you are in the middle of certain operations.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear by Textpad. Syntax highlighting, brace matching, auto code-indention, tab-to-space conversion, workspaces, etc etc

I tried Editplus, a number of "php only editors" and Textpad was the one that fit me the best.

Now if only the author would make a Linux version.

Oh, and syntax highlighting is a major timesaver. Especially if you work on a project of any size. It comes in *real* handy when you have real complicated strings with embeded quotes/subquotes.
    -=Alarion=-
    Protollix - Linux hosting from $3.95/m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proud Zend Studio Plus User
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

killall -9 lusers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Alarion
    Now if only the author would make a Linux version.
    Amen to that. Have you tried it in WINE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I have, actually. It has been awhile though. I want to say I had a couple problems, but I don't really recall.
    -=Alarion=-
    Protollix - Linux hosting from $3.95/m

killall -9 lusers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, WINE has been vastly improved within the last year. I haven't tried it (WINE) again myself, but I think I remember hearing that somewhere in the Internet buzz.

killall -9 lusers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, for those of you who aren't familiar with Linux, WINE is a software project that allows you to run MS Windows programs under Linux.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta admit I'm with the TextPad crowd. I have tried several different utilities (including DWMX, AceHTML, UltraEdit, NoteTab, FP2000) and I must admit that textPad is the one I keep coming back to.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EditPlus for me, fast and adds pretty colours to my code.

Even if syntax colouring doesn't worry you, the auto indent alone is enough to give an edge over notepad.
    Work smarter, not harder. -Scrooge McDuck

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried text pad - but i was unable to save .php files correctly, it would always save them as file.php.txt !!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply create a PHP file class in the Preferences in TextPad. All works fine for me.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hrm - i knew someone would say that, and i followed all the instructions on website

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things:

1) I use a few programs... on Windows, UltraEdit32 is the most useful editor ever, and on Linux I like Quanta from the GUI, or jed from the command line.

2) Anyone who uses Notepad and says it's all they need is an idiot running on too much bravado. Come down off your high horse, and try a text editor that does some syntax highlighting, bracket checking, auto-indenting, etc.

Seriously, the reason people don't use good coding habits is because it's usually too much work to do in notepad. Tabs are ugly, indenting is a pain in the ***... and while you're bug tracing I'm drinking espresso.

...and hope you never interview with me and tell me you use notepad...
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, i think Zend Studio really an amazing tool!!!!
    I've downloaded Zend Studio yeterday.And downloaded most of the editors that were mentioned in this topic.
    Compared to other editors, Zend Studio is the best.
    Just download it and you'll see how powerful it is.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by randem
    Seriously, the reason people don't use good coding habits is because it's usually too much work to do in notepad. Tabs are ugly, indenting is a pain in the ***... and while you're bug tracing I'm drinking espresso
    That applies to everyone who uses Notepad does it?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know! Everything Buffy, he says, then uses a piccy of Hermione!
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one mentioned HTML-Kit

The last time we hashed this old issue around, HTML-Kit was one of the clear favorites.

I use it on many of the machines I work on. Syntax highlighting, integrated FTP (not as slick as dreamweaver).

On my main machine, I use DWMX - code in homesite, but I can also do the easy wysiwyg stuff without having to switch back and forth between machines (to maintain simple html pages). I'm all about quick production...and I can't justify editing news-type files in a straight text editor. Yes, I can do what I do in notepad, but lots of the simple updates happen in DW because it's easy and fast.

In the past, many shops like Lycos forced people to work in notepad. I guess I could walk to the office, but why would I when I have a car? Time wise, anything that speeds the progress up and allows me to spot possible errors is worthwhile. Why would I want to edit code in something that doesn't highlight syntax or give me such basic features as line numbers?

To each his own...but give me syntax highlighting and line numbers...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No one mentioned HTML-Kit

Originally posted by mcahill
    In the past, many shops like Lycos forced people to work in notepad. I guess I could walk to the office, but why would I when I have a car? Time wise, anything that speeds the progress up and allows me to spot possible errors is worthwhile. Why would I want to edit code in something that doesn't highlight syntax or give me such basic features as line numbers?

To each his own...but give me syntax highlighting and line numbers...
    true

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    php IMHO lacks several IDE. Actually it's a whole area (tools for developers, system administrators, ...) where opensource has yet a lot to be done, when you look at software available to help work with .net, commercial j2ee application servers, etc.

Anyway, I personnally use jEdit which is free and full of nice features that you can extend with plugins. It was initially aimed at Java developers but does a great job with any language. It is available for most platforms.

See http://www.jedit.org/

PS : using notepad for developing is pure masochism