SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to be able to seamlessly move a site once it is up and working...

If moving an ez publish website to another webserver would create permissions problems. How difficult would it be fixing the permissions (are there a google of them?, are they hidden and deep rooted?, etc...).
    I'd recommend installing a fresh copy on your web server, get that working properly, the copy over the design changes you made on your local copy, rather than the entire application. You should find that all your changes are within their own directories and can be easily moved.

The problem with ftping the whole of eZ publish is there are alot of files which may need a permissions update. I've never been through that.

I've read in some forums (here and elsewhere) that eZ publish is too resource demanding and too slow to be run on most shared server accounts. I've just installed it on a dedicated server and it runs ok, but what would happen if I had (and I will have) to run it from a shared server? Will the slowdown be unbearable? Will the ISP kick me out of the server?
    I've run it on a shared server and the speed was acceptable. eZ publish 2.x isn't particularily fast it's true, although is being significantly improved in version 3.x.

Suggest try it and see - for testing it's not going to upset your ISP. It really depends on how many people share the server.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Can EZ Publish run under Apache2?

Has anyone run eZPublish using Apache2?

I can see whatever page I assign as default, but I get a 404 as soon as I try to use a link to load another page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still get 404 error

HarryF:

I checked

register_globals = On
    short_open_tag = On

and both are correct. I also tried with .htaccess renamed, but I still get the 404 error.

Would I have an easier time if I installed v3?

P.S. My other web based php apps seem to work fine.

Thank you for your help in getting this going!!!
    ....brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer to paulwyorke and bosborne is both - best go for Apache 1.3x - I personally haven't installed eZ publish 2.x under Apache 2.x and although it may be possible, it's probably even more work. Methinks it's Apache 2.x causing Bosbornes problems.

eZ publish 3.x should be alot easier to install but my guess is it's going to be at least another couple of months before it reaches a stable version. If you're not in a hurry, could be a good idea to get started with it now though and learn how to customise it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eZ publish - trouble to get ImageMagick work

Hello,

I am confused about what I must do to get my installed ezpublish work with imagemagick.
    Originally posted by HarryF
    Watch out for these values in particular;
    Code:
    SiteURL=localhost/public/ezpublish_2_2_6
    ImageConversionProgram=C:\ImageMagick\convert.exe
    This is the message I get in Admin ezPublish:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Failed to run the following functions
    You've failed to install the ImageMagick package properly, please get it from http://www.imagemagick.org/www/archives.html
    -------------------------------------------------

I checked with my host and he says that:
    << We have all of the files installed to run movable type on that server (see link). As far as how to install it you ill have to check with a movable type forum, we have no cript install support available. >>

Following the link I get:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    SYSTEM INFORMATION:
    Current working directory: /home/wwwroot2/public_html
    Operating system: linux
    Perl version: 5.6.1
    (Probably) Running under cgiwrap or suexec
    CHECKING FOR OPTIONAL MODULES:

The following modules are optional; if your server does not
    have these modules installed, you only need to install hem if you require the functionality that the module provides.

Image::Magick...
    Your server has Image::Magick installed.

Your server has all of the required modules installed; you do not need to perform any additional module installations. Continue with the installation instructions.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Image::Magick seems to be ok, but ezPublish does not work. What must I do now?? I would appreciate any ideas.
    George P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - what you need is the following line to be configured correctly;

Code:
    ImageConversionProgram=C:\ImageMagick\convert.exe
    This will typically be just this on Linux;

Code:
    ImageConversionProgram=convert
    This depends on convert being in your path. You can test to see if this is correct by logging in with SSH and simply typing;

Code:
    convert -help
    on the command line - you should get a help page telling you how to use it.

If not you need the full path to the convert binary (you'll need to ask your host that question). A common place to put it is '/usr/local/bin/' in which case you'd configure site.ini like;

Code:
    ImageConversionProgram=/usr/local/bin/convert
    One other thing you might be able to do, if all else fails and your host won't install it is download the Linux binary from ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/ImageMagick/binaries/ and see if you can find convert (I haven't tried this). You could then upload this to your own directory on the server in point to it in site.ini e.g.

Code:
    ImageConversionProgram=/home/myUserName/bin/convert
    Hope that helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ImageMagick binar file path OK

Thanks, merci bien!! This works now:
    Code:
    ImageConversionProgram=/usr/local/bin/convert
    Regards,
    George P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright! Good to see so another success with eZ publish.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ezpublish set up, but as I dig through the manuals @ the ezpublish home site, I'm getting a bit discouraged. It seems like the knowledge I need to design and maintain an ez publish site is an all-or-nothing affair. Every task is rooted within another task which relies on another task and forces me to set yet another setting or control.

The checklist directory was a good find HarrF, but it doesn't seem to ease my pain. At least it points in the direction that I'll be lost in next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ezpublish set up, but as I dig through the manuals @ the ezpublish home site, I'm getting a bit discouraged. It seems like the knowledge I need to design and maintain an ez publish site is an all-or-nothing affair. Every task is rooted within another task which relies on another task and forces me to set yet another setting or control.
    Know how that can feel to start with. The eZ publish online documentention makes useful referenece material once you know where you are, but isn't the best place to get started. I don't know if you've been through the second part of the article yet but I've tried to come up with a loose strategy there to help.

The important thing to do is to plan first and put together some simple HTML / CSS with your site design in it. That's what I did with the sampler. The reason for doing this is eZ publish has so many features that it's easy to get lost in it end up not producing anything.

Once you know what you want your end result to look like, it's then a matter of following the steps I've outlined in the second article (it may help to go through them once, editing the files at the same time). The "phpPoint" example I put together took about half a day to finish. It's a fairly simple site but considering that for moment - it's perhaps one days work to install and build a simple site with eZ publish, once you know what you're doing, complete with back end administration and all the features eZ publish comes with.

The other good thing is, once you've got it up and running, it's easy to make minor changes.

Anyway - hope that serves as some sort of motivation. Guess the bottom line is decide on a simple project to use eZ publish for then go for it.

Otherwise, it's going to get even eZier with the next version...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homework: Can't Delete Categories

I finally bit the bullet and went back to Apache 1.x.

Yahooo! I can finally signin... time to do the homework from Part 1.

When I try to delete a category from the Image List, ezpublish throws me into the "Image Upload" page.

Also, when I try to create a new category as per the instructions, I receive "You must supply a name; You must supply a description" even hough both were given.

Any ideas how I get around this one?

The publish ID has full access to the publish database. Also I can create and delete a user group, and I can create a userid but can't delete the userid.

Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's wierd. Never seen that one before. Can you add new article categories? Wondering if this is just a problem with the Image Catalog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right i am trying to install this on one of my sites but i don't have phpmyadmin have to access on ssh.

Now i don't have a publish database and as i can't set one up right now i thought about adding it to my existing database called 'gnomelands', is this a problem, the documentation said that i could change it so i assume this should be ok.

Now i get to the database and try to add the publish_mysql.sql using the line in the documentation (changing the correct parts) Then this happens:

[grumbledook@ns grumbledook]$ mysql -ugrumbledook -p gnomelands < kineticcomplex/html/ezpublish_2_2_6/sql/publish_mysql.sql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1044 at line 570: Access denied for user: 'grumbledook@localhost' to database 'gnomelands'

Right thats the line i typed and the resulting access denied, not so much a problem must be something wrong with my user account or something but i got puzzled. I logged onto msql and then went to show tables under database and a few of the ez tables have been added from "eZAd_Ad" through to "eZArticle_Word", now how would this have happened, why woudl some get added and others not. The site is up at www.kineticcomplex.com and as you can see there is a mess atm, ive changed the site.ini with the gnomelands database details. However i am now completly stumped to how or what to do or is going on, thanks for any help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Had the same problem

I had the same errors with my installatioon. Used PHPMyAdmin to manually setup the database. I gave the sequel instructions one by one starting at the top and found that the "CREATE INDEX" instructions were causing the errors. So, I decided to remove all of the "CREATE INDEX" instructions and it worked.

I don't really know what other problems that might cause, cuz I am a total amateur, but my EZPublish site is up and running. I think it might just slow database queries, but the performance thus far has been good and I don't have more than a handful of people going there anyway, so it was no big deal........HOPE THAT HELPS!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info but i don't have phpmyadmin on my server and it should be possable to install it without it, the commands are in the documentation after, just getting some errors with them.

Thanks anyway, I will keep it in mind if no one else can weedle the problem out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a suggestion, if you can't get it to work, try removing all of the CREATE INDEX instructions in the publish_mysql SQL script file and see if that works. I banged my head for days with the same problem you're having and that was the only way I got it to work.

I agree that it should work and that MySQL shouldn't have a problem with that script file, but you're stuck until you have a working database.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Homework: Can't Delete Categories

bosborne writes:

When I try to delete a category from the Image List, ezpublish throws me into the "Image Upload" page.

Also, when I try to create a new category as per the instructions, I receive "You must supply a name; You must supply a description" even hough both were given.
    Bosborne (and all):

One problem I've encountered with the non-Virtual Host installation method of EZPublish (outlined in part 1 of Harry's Most Excellent Series) is that some of the paths set within the code are invalid. For example, I'm trying to setup a functioning version of the EZTrade module -- but the checkout payment sequence is broken because of this problem, as well as a few minor admin features.

This bug report offers a good clue as to the problem (although it didn't help me ) :
    http://ez.no/bug/bugview/1581/

The non-VH method of installation, although much easier, is not really the tested method of running EZP. As the EZP installation document states:

(The non-VH installation is a) new feature in 2.2, so itís not as well tested as normal dual hosts install...
    Supposedly, the support for non-VH installations will dramatically improve w/the much-anticipated ver. 3.0 release. Somewhat understandably, it appears that v2.2.x non-VH bug reports may not be addressed any longer by the development team as they work towards the 3.0 release.

Bob

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't Create Categories

That's wierd. Never seen that one before. Can you add new article categories? Wondering if this is just a problem with the Image Catalog.
    When I try to create an article category, no error messages are displayed but the "Article Archive" page is displayed. I went to the New Article page an my new category was not in the list.

Any other ideas?

....brian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't Create Categories

Originally posted by bosborne

When I try to create an article category, no error messages are displayed but the "Article Archive" page is displayed. ... Any other ideas?
    ....brian
    Brian,

Does your category name or description have any ususual characters (esp. an apostophe)?

...just a thought.

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [grumbledook@ns grumbledook]$ mysql -ugrumbledook -p gnomelands < kineticcomplex/html/ezpublish_2_2_6/ sql/publish_mysql.sql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1044 at line 570: Access denied for user: 'grumbledook@localhost' to database 'gnomelands'
    Line 570 of the sql file you tried to load is;

Code:
    CREATE INDEX Article_Name ON eZArticle_Article (Name);
    It's the first line in the file that creates an index. That suggests to me that you're account doesn't have full rights to the database. The ability to create indexes can be switched off.

Suggest you have a good read of this article;

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/M...les/page1.html

And perhaps this one as well;

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/M...ion/page1.html

Once you've got those covered, it's time to harass your web host

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah cool for telling me the problem i shall have words with the admin ;]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ez Site Design

I find I can alter the frame.php file within our phppoint (grace a l'article). In fact I have placed the side menus and main content variables inside CSS-P divs and they are behaving and positioning well.

Yet I have site design questions. Perhaps my difficulty is in comprehending all of the "user" interaction possibilities within eZ. Compounding the problem is my inability to read myGold.com (and the other site) for its information architecture. As far as the default eZ site goes, I am not interested in making such a linear, textual site.

So here are my questions:

Should we try to install eZ in our www root or does it always rest one level down?

If the installation is one level down then we must make a splash screen, correct? Is there aother way? Search engine bots don't like redirects on the index page.

Is the index_admin.php the only way for admins & users to log in? Can we make password protected "sections", on the public side, that will load group/user specific content based on their login?

Are all non article/news web pages put in the static section?

Can we change the style of, say, one particular page within a section? What if that page is in the static section? Or is the secret to create one section for every design we wish to employ?

Do we use includes to place the headers and footers; or is it OK for the general frame.php to hold all the content? I haven't found any examples of headers and footers in use within the eZ examples, so far.

============

I guess I'll begin with those...

mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

user login

I must be missing something. For example, I am following the calendar.txt checklist AND I CAN'T LOGIN as a user. There are no specific instruction as to where we login. I see only one login at index_admin.php. I'll check to see that the ezcalendar module is included in the site.ini (because I have yet to whitness a clendar or user login area.

mike

P.S. Yeah it's Friday night @ ~3a.m. and I'm goofing with this thing. I knew I should have NOT passed up those bombay sapphire martinis [Up & bruised all to hell so it looks like a ice storm in a glass].

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh... I reloaded the original, default style and now I see the calendar in the intranet section ... boy am i lost

but at least I can follow the checklists

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry,

following your advice I installed a new mysql-version - no problem creating the 'publish'-database and loading all the data. thanks a lot!

Now I can load the Front page but all the links here seem to have the wrong path, e.g. 'Latest':
    http://localhost/index.php/article/archive/0/

All the images on the Front page are missing as well because of the wrong pathes, e.g.:
    http://localhost/sitedesign/standard...ntmadeeasy.gif

In my configuration all php files are in the directory C:/phpweb
    In order to install eZ publish I created a directory ezpublish_2_2_7 and changed the pathes in the site.ini.php to

[site]
    SiteURL=localhost/ezpublish_2_2_7
    AdminSiteURL=localhost/ezpublish_2_2_7
    UserSiteURL=localhost/ezpublish_2_2_7

Returning to the 'Latest'-link at the Front page it should point to
    http://localhost/ezpublish_2_2_7/ind...cle/archive/0/

I had a carefull look in the forums, but nobody seems to have this problem. what I am doing wrong?