Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 2

Hey guys,

Good news! Part 2 of Harry's eZ publish tutorial's now online! Check it out!

georgina

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great article!

I know lots of other people have already said this, but this really was a nice article. I look forward to Part 2.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Part 2

Originally posted by georgina
    Hey guys,

Good news! Part 2 of Harry's eZ publish tutorial's now online! Check it out!

georgina
    Speak of the devil.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same problem as bosborne PLUS some

Hi,

I, too, can not access the database with what is given in the site.ini.php, but I can ssh to mysql.

Q 1:
    I have two databases, one is "publish" of course (and I have the correct username and password in the site.ini.php) ... are two db's a problem?

In the site.ini.php file it says
    [site]
    SiteURL=localhost/public/ezpublish_2_2_6
    AdminSiteURL=localhost/public/ezpublish_2_2_6
    UserSiteURL=localhost/public/ezpublish_2_2_6
    Now, I'm working on my personal site @ phpwebhosting.com. They use Linux and all of the necessary versions for PHP, Apache, etc.

Q 2:
    Is my siteUrl...
    SiteUrl=domainNameWithOutThewww.com/ezpub or
    SiteUrl=www.domainName.com/ezpub
    or is it "that internal style" like:
    SiteUrl=/home/blahblah/www/ezpub

Q 3:
    I have to declare alterations to the php.ini file within an .htaccess local to my site (or directory) - that's the way they ask us to do it on their shared servers.

Now is it OK to put the php.ini directives in the same .htaccess file in the ezpublish root (the one that was originally "htaccess-nVH")? Or shall I move up a directory and leave the ezpublish .htaccess alone?

Do I run the ./modfix.sh everytime I make an .ini or .htaccess change? When I do I read that the cache files already exist. Is it overwriting or do I have to manually remove all of those cache files?

Q 5:

In the sitedir.ini is my directory a full www web address or is it the internal "/home/blahblah/www/ezpub"

FOLLOW UP:

I successfully downloaded and installed the ezpublish files via ssh (in case anyone was wondering). I have successfully created and populated the "publish" database, as well. I'm just confused on the extra simple stuff.
    ____
    Mike
    Last edited by Duende; Nov 8, 2002 at 12:40.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edited: All sorted now.
    Last edited by RipBurn; Nov 9, 2002 at 02:13.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for delayed further response. Just back back from holiday and will get to some in depth answers tomorrow. Till then...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will sit here 'till you return
    i ... miss you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - a long answer to everything so far. Waynes earlier post above threw me a curveball while on holiday, and the answer probably works but is not quite correct. Anyway -I've attached my own site.ini.php which is how it ends up by the last part of the series - should help as reference (it definately works). So those answers...

++ anthony_irl
    Great article Harry. Just getting a couple of errors. When I try to access the normal user section eg. http://127.0.0.1/ezpublish/index.php I get an error related to calling of a xmltree() method. I tracked this down to xmllib but don't know what version etc and how to install it. Took a look at the instructions after downloading xmllib and it seems to need to be compiled etc. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Question is what's your environment? Sounds like you just need the XML Expat parser upgraded. phpdev5 comes with a version that works. If you want to upgrade your own environment, best place is the most obvious: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php

++ gog93rpf
    I have been browsing around the ez site and cannot find the price for a professional license (to repackage the software and sell as my own). Anyone out there figured this out ? (apologies if I am being thick!)
    Try - http://shop.ez.no/article/articlestatic/308/1/30/ - you'll need to email them for pricing

++ bosborne
    I'm trying to get ezpublish running on my RedHat Linux 8. When I browse over to localhost/ezpublish/index_admin.php I receive several "Warning access denied for user publish@localhost" messages.
    Tricky. Assuming you've got the right password, dbName in site.ini, recommend having a look over your MySQL security settings, in the light of these articles;
    http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Administration
    http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Grant_Tables

One thing to remember, if you do change anything in site.ini, such as a MySQL password you need to clear out the cache again ([ezpublish_root]/classes/cache/*).

++ masm50
    Which brings me to asking whether you will cover how to add modules to eZpublish later on?
    That's exactly what will be happening in the third part of the series. Not long to go (next week)...

++ Duende
    Q 1:
    I have two databases, one is "publish" of course (and I have the correct username and password in the site.ini.php) ... are two db's a problem?
    Two dBs shouldn't be a problem in themselves but may lead you to be confused about configuration. See my comments to bosborne above. Otherwise, write a quick PHP script which connects to the 'publish' database and does a simple query or something, so you can double check the settings in site.ini.php

Q 2:
    The value of SiteUrl should be the address your browser uses to get to eZ publish's index.php.

So for example, if your site was http://www.mydomain.com and on the web server, the file path to this URL was;

/home/mydomain/www/

If you install eZ publish under;

/home/mydomain/www/ezpublish/

Then to get there with your browser it would be;

http://www.mydomain.com/ezpublish

And SiteUrl would be;

SiteUrl=www.mydomain.com/ezpublish

Q 3:
    Now is it OK to put the php.ini directives in the same .htaccess file in the ezpublish root (the one that was originally "htaccess-nVH")?
    Should be no problem at all, for example to add register_globals on you might have;

Code:
    # This files is needed if you use the non-virtual-hosts setup
    # Please read the documentation!

order deny,allow

# Deny everything sensible
    <FilesMatch "\.(php|ini|tpl|txt|info|cache|gz|sh|sql)$">
    	deny from all
    </FilesMatch>

# .php would be denied normally, but we want to allow index*.php and cron.php
    <FilesMatch "(index.*|cron)\.php$">
    	allow from all
    </FilesMatch>

# Set php.ini local values;
    php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
    Q4:
    Do I run the ./modfix.sh everytime I make an .ini or .htaccess change? When I do I read that the cache files already exist. Is it overwriting or do I have to manually remove all of those cache files?
    modfix.sh you only need to run once - it creates a set of empty directories which eZ publish uses to store cached output files in. The most important cache is in 'classes/cache', which is where site.ini.php gets cached to. You need to clear this directory if you change site.ini.php. You should find a file clearcache.sh which clears the lot if you need it. .htaccess changes do not need the cache clearing. Otherwise, the second article looks at caching in a bit more detail on this page: http://webmasterbase.com/article.php?pid=147&aid=917 - have a read then say the word if it doesn't add up.

Q 5:
    In the sitedir.ini is my directory a full www web address or is it the internal "/home/blahblah/www/ezpub"
    It's the local filesystem path - "/home/blahblah/www/ezpub" - you can even use just "./" I believe - not confirmed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am trying to install ezpublish, using windows me/apache 1.3.20/MySQL

I get the following error message, while loading publish_mysql

MySQL-Error
    1121 - Column 'Name' is used with UNIQUE or INDEX but is not defined as NOT NULL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess the first thing to ask is which version of MySQL are you using? It should work with the 3.23 group or 4.x (4 is used in phpdev5). 3.22 will not work (see: http://developer.ez.no/forum/message/1928/ for example).

Also, got an answer on the xmltree problem - you need the dom-xml extension installed;

http://developer.ez.no/forum/message/36/

Any problems with that, say the word...

Worth having a read of the eZ publish forums, btw - most of these problems have been encountered before.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle! ezpublish install deadlock

Hello all,

I happily fed 16 hours to ezpublish saturday, attempting to install it on a redhat 8 dedicated server, and have only a maddeningly persistant error message to show for it.

I went the virtual host route, since I've got full control over the server.

On the main site, the error mesage is:

Database error: have no support for Database error: have no support for Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /var/www/html/geeksonparade/ezpublish_2_2_6/ezsession/classes/ezsession.php on line 89

On the admin site, the error message is:

Error:Server does not exist in site
    Erroratabase does not exist in site
    Error:User does not exist in site
    Error:Password does not exist in site
    ErroratabaseImplementation does not exist in site
    Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /var/www/html/geeksonparade/ezpublish_2_2_6/ezsession/classes/ezsession.php on line 89

I'm running MySQL 3.23, php 4.2.3, and Apache 2+. I recompiled php according to ezpub's packaged installation instructions. I've tried reinstalling all the affected software and databases. I've tested the database with the mysql client and my own little php script.

I've checked and double-checked site.ini to make sure its correct. I got the virtual host settings from ezpublish's online configuration tool.

And here's the kicker -- I get the same error messages even when I delete site.ini.

I've searched the ezpublish forums and can't find anything that seems related.

Any ideas? I'm tapped out. I'm doubly perplexed because I installed a perfect working copy of ezpublish locally on my Mac OS 10.1 box in about 10 minutes, using Harry's excellent instructions as a guide.

I loved the test drive I took with ezpublish on my mac, and I'm going a bit mad with not being able to reproduce it on my server.

thanks
    Johnathon
    ICQ # 171794195

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brave man, going the virtual hosts root (good luck there).

But it sounds like a database problem here - ezPublish cant connect to the database.

First thing to try is this test script on your web server;

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $host 
    'localhost'// hostname for mysql server
    $user 'root'// Mysql username with access to publish database
    $password '****'// Password for above user
    $database 'publish'// Name of ezPublish database

mysql_connect($host$user$password) or die(mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db($database) or die(mysql_error());

$result_set=mysql_query "SELECT * FROM ezarticle_article" );
    while (
    $row mysql_fetch_array ($result_set)) {
        echo ( 
    "<hr><pre>" );

print_r ($row);
        echo ( 
    "</pre>" );
    }
    ?>
    Assuming you've loaded the sample data, you should see a list of the contents of the table ezarticle_article. Make sure the username / password settings etc. are the same as site.ini

Also, if you delete site.ini or change it, you need to clear the cached version as well in [ezpublish_root]/classes/cache

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still no joy

Hey Harry, thanks for the reply.

Every php script I've run to test the database works fine. They get in and out of the database with no problem. Ezpublish is the only one giving me database errors.

I've cleared the ezpublish caches a number of times.

I just tried a complete ezpublish reinstall -- this time without the virtual hosts -- just a simple one-directory install using your instructions and the ones that came with ezpublish. Still no joy. I'm baffled. I repeated the same process on my mac os 10.1 box and everything worked great.

It's like ezpublish isn't even reading the site.ini file. I get the exact same error message whether site.ini is present or not. PHP is fine. MySQL is fine. The ezpublish database is fine. But ezpublish can't find it?

If I wasn't so mad I think I'd be sobbing. Any more ideas? I'm gonna go nuts if I can't take advantage of parts two and three of your series.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victory!

Nevermind that last post - ezpublish is up and running on my server.

NOTE TO FELLOW WEBMASTERS: When Harry wrote "it's recommended you use Apache 1.3.x rather than 2.x" in Part 1, HE WAS NOT KIDDING. 16 hours and all the curses in my vocabulary weren't enough to get ezpub running under apache 2.x on my Redhat 8 server.

15 minutes after I installed apache 1.3, everything works fine. Thanks again Harry for your fine series of articles. I'm off to take advantage of Part 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Good to hear someone getting there with installing eZ publish. Once you've got it installed, the rest gets alot easier...

Guess we haven't heard from everyone who's been having trouble though, judging by the rating this article series has so far

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a few more questions

That huge reply from HarryF was terrific. Now I moved forward an inch to discover another issue.

Why do I get the following error? I have declared the correct user and password in site.ini.php AND I know I didn't put "publish" as a user.

[snip]

Warning: Access denied for user: 'publish@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/blahblah/ezpublish/classes/ezmysqldb.php on line 53

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'publish@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/blahblah/ezpublish/classes/ezmysqldb.php on line 58

[/snip]

Um, what's the "php_" prefix for the following directive in the .htaccess file? I tried php_flag, php_admin, and php_value ... I get 500 errors on all of them. I just deleted it because I think the default error reporting is comprehensive enough.

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

Well, that's it for now.

Thanks All!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Duende,

If you've got the MySQL connection settings right in site.ini.php, all you need to do is delete the old cached version in /home/blahblah/ezpublish/classes/cache - just delete everything you find in there.

As to the .htaccess, what it's doing is deny access to all files in the eZ publish directory except those beginning with 'index' and ending in '.php' - ie. index.php and index_admin.php

Could be you need a slightly different version of the .htaccess file, to work on your configuration. Try;

Code:
    # This files is needed if you use the non-virtual-hosts setup
    # Please read the documentation!

order deny,allow

# Deny everything sensible
    <FilesMatch "\.(php|ini|tpl|txt|info|cache|gz|sh|sql)$">
    deny from all
    </FilesMatch>

# .php would be denied normally, but we want to allow index*.php and cron.php
    <FilesMatch "(index.*|cron)\.php$">
    allow from all
    </FilesMatch>

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
    </IfModule>
    If that files, just place a .htaccess file in the directory above eZ publish (i.e. /home/blahblah/ ) containing either;

Code:
    or if that fails;

Code:
    <IfModule mod_php4.c>
    </IfModule>
    Let me know how it goes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Man Alive!

I decided to read my class/cache file and I saw how it has all of the original configurations that were in the site.ini before I updated it to my site.ini.php specific values.

I hacked-in the correct info... now I have access to my new eZpublish site. Perhaps, I haven't deleted all of the cached files correctly, but I know I ran the clearcache.sh. I also verified that the class/cache/ files was deleted as well. I guess I'll have to say good bye to my eZpublish site until I figure out how to access it correctly. Although, brief it was a nice visit.

I wonder where the classes/cache/file is getting the default site.ini values? Oh well.

====================

By the way, my original .htaccess file worked just fine as does the "full" alternate sample HarryF proposed. I was just curious how to add the complete list of directives mentioned in the article. "php_flag" is prefixed to boleans but I couldn't figure out which "php_" prefix is used for the...

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
    Last edited by Duende; Nov 12, 2002 at 07:58.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

404 error after admin login

My authorization problem has been fixed now.... Thanks Harry! Clearing the cache solved this one.

Now I get the same problem as described in the first entry to this forum. After logging in, I receive a 404 error trying to load "localhost/ezpublish/index_admin.php/user/login/login"

My Site.ini.php shows:

SiteURL=localhost/ezpublish
    AdminSiteURL=localhost/ezpublish
    UserSiteURL=localhost/ezpublish

I am using Apache 2.0.40 on RedHat 8.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this???
    ....brian

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um i got it working

You know, it is easy! I deleted then reinstalled and now it works. The whole process took about tem minutes.

An original offense (of mine) must have been moving the decompressed files to one directory higher with my dreamweaver ftp. This time I just left everything in the ezpublish_2_2_6 directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, it is easy! I deleted then reinstalled and now it works. The whole process took about tem minutes.
    Alright! Well done for sticking with it. It's nice to know at least one or two people will be able to continue with Part 2 of the series.

An original offense (of mine) must have been moving the decompressed files to one directory higher with my dreamweaver ftp. This time I just left everything in the ezpublish_2_2_6 directory.
    That's an important one to note - ftp'ing eZ publish files individually causes big problems because the permissions on the files can change (I believe). You can only really move them around is a compressed file or perhaps (I can't confirm) copying them within the filesystem (cp [source] [destination in Linux).

Now I get the same problem as described in the first entry to this forum. After logging in, I receive a 404 error trying to load "localhost/ezpublish/index_admin.php/user/login/login"
    I am using Apache 2.0.40 on RedHat 8.
    OK - another re-check of things -

register_globals = On?
    short_open_tag = On?

If those are looking good, try renaming that .htaccess file you copied at the start - it could well be that it's a problem with Apache 2.x

Otherwise, only other thing I can think of is install Apache 1.3.x

It's one tough installation I have to agree and credit to anyone who perseveres - eZ publish is well worth the effort. There's more good news as well - eZ publish 3.x should be alot easier to install.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HarryF

That's an important one to note - ftp'ing eZ publish files individually causes big problems because the permissions on the files can change (I believe). You can only really move them around is a compressed file or perhaps (I can't confirm) copying them within the filesystem (cp [source] [destination in Linux).
    If that's the case, how does one set up ez publish on a remote webserver?

I will be doing an install on a local box this week and if all goes well I will do a remote install as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the case, how does one set up ez publish on a remote webserver?
    I put some suggestions for installing on Linux in the first article: http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?pid=92&aid=917

You will need command line (SSH) access to the server - most good hosts should provide you with this.

You've options are either run the command;

Code:
    wget http://developer.ez.no/filemanager/download/413/ezpublish_2_2_6.tar.gz
    This will fetch the zip straight to your current working directory.

Alternatively, download that file (http://developer.ez.no/filemanager/d...h_2_2_6.tar.gz) to your PC then ftp it as a single file (ie. don't unzip it) to your server.

Once you've got it there, run the command;

Code:
    tar -zxvf ezpublish_2_2_6.tar.gz
    This will extract the lot to a new directory "ezpublish_2_2_6" below the directory where you typed the command.

Need any help with the Linux command line, say the word...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to be able to seamlessly move a site once it is up and working...

If moving an ez publish website to another webserver would create permissions problems. How difficult would it be fixing the permissions (are there a google of them?, are they hidden and deep rooted?, etc...).

I beleive that FlashFXP, will apply permissions to remote and local machines so that they match...I will have to try it to be sure...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using eZ on shared servers

I've read in some forums (here and elsewhere) that eZ publish is too resource demanding and too slow to be run on most shared server accounts. I've just installed it on a dedicated server and it runs ok, but what would happen if I had (and I will have) to run it from a shared server? Will the slowdown be unbearable? Will the ISP kick me out of the server?