SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 89

Thread: Content writing

  1. #26
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Joseph View Post
    Content-writing cuts both ways, it can be a science or can be native talent; or it can be both, which is better in my opinion. Also, rewritting articles isn't really ok, legally speaking, you can't prove the fact that someone inspired from your article but ethically isn't ok.
    True...I am in agreement with your opinion. And legally speaking, if the article is copied word to word then certainly it could be proven and that is exactly what I am under the impression of in relation to the topic...if you're just getting inspired and using your own words...well in that case, we all do that...because we learn from somewhere...

  2. #27
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,014
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAT View Post
    ...well in that case, we all do that...
    no, not all of us steal other people's content
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  3. #28
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    no, not all of us steal other people's content
    I meant we all learn from somewhere.

  4. #29
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,014
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAT View Post
    I meant we all learn from somewhere.
    no argument there, but if you take somebody else's article and "learn" from it, and then repost it yourself...

    ... that's way too dodgy, and i'm against it
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  5. #30
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    no argument there, but if you take somebody else's article and "learn" from it, and then repost it yourself...

    ... that's way too dodgy, and i'm against it
    Exactly. My way of going around it would be to read and learn from various sources and then put things in my own words with my own opinions added. If I ever have to quote someone directly then I would most definetely give the original author credit. Simply because that is the treatment I would like as well. And of course one doesnt always just learn from reading but through one's own experience as well. So when I write, it is a mixture of everything. I guess we could be on the same page there.

  6. #31
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAT View Post
    That is true...however if I were to do that and trust me I wouldnt mind doing it..I would actually give credit to the original author as well...slip his/her name in somehow..
    And if you did it without the written permission of the author or copyright owner, you would still be in violation of copyright.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  7. #32
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    And if you did it without the written permission of the author or copyright owner, you would still be in violation of copyright.
    Interestingly enough, I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me Shyflower. Much appreicated. I'll make sure I keep that in mind if I ever have to do it.

    Cheers

    Bill

  8. #33
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is very difficult to write articles of good quality. Still, your articles must have themes concerned about your company ro products or other things concerned. I am trying to write one article everyday.

  9. #34
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    That's like murdering someone and burying the body. You know you are guilty, you just hope nobody catches on.
    I love the Content section of this forum and learn a great deal from posters like Samanime and Shyflower. But I just had to post how much I love that analogy. Plagiarism is always very, very, very bad...but I would hate to see what would happen if you were caught stealing content from Samanime!!!
    Tommy Weber
    Web Services at The Small Business Authority (formerly CrystalTech)
    Quality Hosting Since 1997 with Affordable Shared, Dedicated, and Cloud Plans
    Backed by Highly Knowledgeable and Friendly 24/7/365 Support!

  10. #35
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most people are using special tools to make pseudo original articles, because in this way they can make a lot of articles without being called copy and save a lot of time and attract plenty of traffic. What do you think of this way ? Is it really workable and effective ? Is this a black hat practice ?

  11. #36
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonking View Post
    most people are using special tools to make pseudo original articles, because in this way they can make a lot of articles without being called copy and save a lot of time and attract plenty of traffic. What do you think of this way ? Is it really workable and effective ? Is this a black hat practice ?
    "Most people" are not doing this. But for those who are, it is still a very dubious practice. Using "special tools" does not make it OK.

    Mike

  12. #37
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonking
    most people are using special tools to make pseudo original articles, because in this way they can make a lot of articles without being called copy and save a lot of time and attract plenty of traffic. What do you think of this way ? Is it really workable and effective ? Is this a black hat practice ?
    To quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime
    That's like murdering someone and burying the body. You know you are guilty, you just hope nobody catches on.
    As Mikl said, "most people" aren't doing this, only lazy and shady people.

  13. #38
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonking View Post
    most people are using special tools to make pseudo original articles, because in this way they can make a lot of articles without being called copy and save a lot of time and attract plenty of traffic. What do you think of this way ? Is it really workable and effective ? Is this a black hat practice ?
    Most people? Where do you get your information to make that assumption? What percentage can you quote and from what source?

    If you are making a "pseudo original" article, your originality is a fake by definition. You'll find the "plenty of traffic" you attract will easily become disenchanted with the rubbish a "pseudo original article" spills out and go find a source that shows real expertise in their topic. Bottom line, if you want a high traffic level with a high bounce rate and a bad rep on the web, use "pseudo original articles". Just be careful that the genuine original authors don't find them or you could be in legal trouble as well without a leg to stand on or a penny in your pocket.

    Black hat? I guess I would say that anything that tries to game the search engines and/or fool my visitors is black hat. That's pretty much what a "pseudo originality" does.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  14. #39
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to everything that's been said here about copyright infringement and "black hat" methods, I would add this:

    What do you hope to achieve with this sort of dubious practice? Why are you creating a website in the first place, if you rely on plagiarising other people's legitimate content? If you are not able to create your own original material, then you really need to find another way of achieving your goals.

    Mike

  15. #40
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Joseph View Post
    Content-writing cuts both ways, it can be a science or can be native talent; or it can be both, which is better in my opinion. Also, rewriting articles isn't really ok, legally speaking, you can't prove the fact that someone inspired from your article but ethically isn't ok.
    Your choice of the word "inspire" made me think of the real meaning of inspiration. If you are "inspired" to spin an article from someone else's idea by simply changing a few words, your inspiration is leading you in the wrong direction. This kind of article spinning often corrupts the original author's idea and can even misrepresent it entirely. If the original piece was well-written, chances are yours just won't be.

    Real inspiration comes from finding something that interests you enough to become well-grounded in the subject matter and form your own opinion. For instance, your post has inspired me to write these paragraphs.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  16. #41
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    content writting is an ideal way, but what if you have little information about what you are gonna write, there must be a subject, you have to write things related with it. Just take my experience for example, it is very headache to find something to write related with our company or products, not only my knowledge is limited, but also the company is very outdated in informatin. What's worse, most informatin were not wrote in English, you have to translate it by yourself. i almost had enough about the translation. Any better way to deal with this situation ?

  17. #42
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can come up with someone decent in the time it'll take you to edit someone's work.

    And best of all, it'd be original

  18. #43
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonking View Post
    content writting is an ideal way, but what if you have little information about what you are gonna write, there must be a subject, you have to write things related with it. Just take my experience for example, it is very headache to find something to write related with our company or products, not only my knowledge is limited, but also the company is very outdated in informatin. What's worse, most informatin were not wrote in English, you have to translate it by yourself. i almost had enough about the translation. Any better way to deal with this situation ?
    You're right, writing good content isn't easy and especially if you are writing for a client, it probably shouldn't be. That's why good writers take the time to get to know their clients and their clients' businesses. And before you begin writing, be sure you have the mechanics down... spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  19. #44
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To further elaborate on what Shyflower, if you are so far removed from the content that you don't know where to start, perhaps you should look for someone else that is. Even if they aren't a content writer, you could use them as an information source and fact checker.

    Our marketing department where I work often writes about things that they aren't very familiar with (like programming and web development). So, they come talk to us (the developers and web departments) and get information from us. They then write whatever it is they are writing, and send it back to us so we can provide a fact check and give them any suggestions. The results are great, and they didn't have to spin anyone else's content. =p

  20. #45
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not stealing if you have permission from the author. There are PLR articles available online that you can rewrite but writing your own content is still the best thing to do or hire someone to do it for you.

  21. #46
    SitePoint Member BuriedAlive1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deniseAnne View Post
    I have been into article writing also just recently as online job. I admit I am not an expert but spinning helps me to avoid plagiarism. Also I have found tips to make a better content for article writing. Read here for you:
    http://www.techyv.com/article/tips-m...rticles-better
    Spinning is still plagiarism. True, it's really hard to come up with something entirely original. You can write something identical to someone else's article without even having read his or her article because people can share the same ideas and observations. But if you take somebody else's work and just spin it, you're just stealing. Write something that you are an expert on, have a passion for or write from your own perspective based on experience. If you are writing on something technical, do research but avoid looking at your resource material while writing because you'll end up copying or paraphrasing what's there. Instead, take notes of pertinent points and write about what this means to you, the implications it has for the rest of the people, etc.

  22. #47
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Google Panda that's not different because if you change that using Synonyms. then whats the effect of your contain? so for better create your contain different and unique.

  23. #48
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impactpp12 View Post
    According to Google Panda that's not different because if you change that using Synonyms. then whats the effect of your contain? so for better create your contain different and unique.
    This forum is not for discussion of Google and SEO tactics. It is for discussion of web content for people, not for bots. If you wish to discuss SEO, please do so in the appropriate forum.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  24. #49
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Article spinning will be a obstacle to rank your site. Also illegal too. Write article yourself or use somebody who can write article.

  25. #50
    SitePoint Enthusiast VideoWhisper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't have patience to read articles. You can easily write your content as short lists and phrases without need of a copyrighter.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •