SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed choosing DW version

I'm getting a bonus..a new copy of Dreamweaver for my home computer. I had been using DW 3 and at work I've been using 4. I can have 4, Ultra Dev or MX. I'm not a programmer. I use perl and php scripts but make only the tiniest modifications to them. My computer isn't new or a super powerful machine - it's an Athelon 500 with 256 MB of ram and a total of 20 gigs of HD space. I tried MX on my computer at work, which is only a little less powerful than my home one and it seemed very slow, so I went back to 4 there and didn't really explore it in full. This is probably a one time opportunity so I want to make the right choice and would appreciate your wisdom.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, MX is very sexy but your PC's maybe slightly at the low end to run it (have you tried the 30 day eval?)

Ultradev is just DW4 with knobs on so you might as well get that if MX is too slow. I've been using Ultradev 4 since it came out and haven't found a must-have reason to upgrade yet (Flash MX is a different story - drool...)

Just my $0.02
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I were you I'd go for a new computer rather than a new version of DW. It sounds like you may want to invest in a system, being as cheap as they are now. Gateway's selling systems with flat panels now for like $699, and even the lowest-end processors nowadays are about 1.7 or 1.8 gigahertz. It may be worth spending the extra $$ now and then moving to Dreamweaver MX. MX would be slow on your current system, but on a new one it would fly. Besides, if you use DW4 in WYSIWYG mode to lay out your HTML for you, you can believe that it won't help you to be writing code meant for 5 year old browsers. MX supports XHTML, that's what was the no-brainer for me to go out and get it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was kind of what I was guessing, but I wanted to be sure. I haven't tried the evaluation of MX at home. Up until yesterday my home computer had even less resources and wouldn't have dealt with it at all. I don't think Flash is going to an option..although maybe I should negotiate. It's actually kind of part of a severance package, because the company is moving and I'm not. That's why it's a limited time, once around kind of offer, and since I'll be unemployed, I don't know when I'll be making big purchases on my own. This one needs to be right. Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only an Intel Celeron 433 but I tried Dreamweaver MX anyway. I works great on my system. I just had to keep an eye on what processes were running in the background with Microsoft XP Professional.

montie2

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I played around with MX here at work again and now I feel like I can't live without the multi-document interface. Doesn't take long to get spoiled. I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. If it's a mistake, I can always just use my old version 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

You shouldn't have any problem running DWMX on your system. I run it on my old PII 233 laptop with 128 megs of ram and it runs a bit slower than the desktops, but it works fine. Using the laptop allows me to work on the web pages at odd times and I love not having to be at the desk to do the work. I love Dreamweaver MX (have used DW since version 2) and I find the interface to be very intuitive.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It does seem to run fine at home. There might be more difference between the two machines - home and work - than I thought. I haven't tried it running at the same time as Photoshop or other hogs yet, but I'm learning to love it way too much to give it up now.