User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Vistiors Equal High Bandwidth

Hi All

I know that the more visitors to a community has the inevitable fact of more bandwidth being used.

What i am interested in is how much people see this.

EG How many members do you have?
    How many Visitors do your have?
    How much Bandwidth do you use?

The reason i ask is that there have been two problems i have found in australia when looking for a host traffic is very expensive around USD$35(AUD$70)/1Gb compared to as low as USD$15/1Gb for some others i have looked at in the US.

the other problem being the cheaper the the traffic the less requests on bacdkend configuration you can make.

Joel

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Popularity of a site obviously affects bandwidth usage. But thanks to CSS, you don't have to be so highly graphical in your designs. If bandwidth is too costly, cut down on the graphics, optimize your HTML, and add caching headers, and you should notice some worthwhile improvements.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use a well-coded board in PHP and MySQL, like phpBB, InvisionBoard, or vBulletin if you can afford it, it shouldn't be a problem.

But don't worry- your host will definitely make clear which boards you should use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of factors that go into this. If you are worried about bandwidth, avoid graphic-intensive sites, using JavaScript, offering downloads, etc. Also, such as in the case of vBulletin, make sure GZIP is enabled as this can drastically reduce bandwidth consumption.

In my case, I used over 15 GB last month and this was the first time I've gone over my hosting account's limit. I got a small fee tacked onto my monthly invoice and fortunately, it wasn't too harsh. I've decided to terminate my free headlines service because it was hogging too much bandwidth with too few benefits.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, bandwidth comes from visitors to your site, but more importantly it comes from the graphics, size of the file, and any extras (flash, etc.) that is on the page where the visitor went.

So, yes, there is a correlation between visitors and bandwidth

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Also, such as in the case of vBulletin, make sure GZIP is enabled as this can drastically reduce bandwidth consumption.
    I don't know about bandwidth, but since I did this my pages load waaaay faster.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a00010001
    Hi All

I know that the more visitors to a community has the inevitable fact of more bandwidth being used.

What i am interested in is how much people see this.

EG How many members do you have?
    How many Visitors do your have?
    How much Bandwidth do you use?
    Almost 13,000 registered users, I serve between 2.2 - 2.9 million page views per month using around 107 GIG of bandwidth per month.