User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bizboostdesign
    would anyone recommend illustrator for web use not print ie: logos, and the occasional webpage...
    Surely! I don't like drawing in Flash, so I import the complex vectors from Illustrator. If you want to do a line drawing, Illustrator or a comparable vector-based program is essential.

If you are on a tight budget and/or would rather "fake it":
    You can draw vector-like images in Photoshop by drawing paths (pen tool) and filling them in with solid colors or gradients.

As mentioned it's better to think long term and create all logos as vectors even when it's for the web only.

SitePoint Zealot bizboostdesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok... I will probably get illustrator second hand for about $250
    Zing Dev! Webdesign and Graphics Firm, coming soon!
    Idoogle.com's Message Boards!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illustrator is great... however I will have to champion photoshop. I'm a far cry from an intense graphic designer but I am friends with a couple and I use Photoshop for my own purposes too. If you can't do it in PS, then you can't do it when it comes to graphic work.

Illustrators one advantage over PS is vector graphics. That in itself is a great feature. I would recommend a combo of both.... 'cept then you won't be able to afford your mortgage (lol).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illustrator is something seriously wickedgood - especially when it comes to logo design!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    illustrator is a nice illustration/vector app. it does have some shortcomings (memory management with complex/large files, hard to produce 2 color print jobs/films) but overall the feature set is fine. as I understand there is a better illustration app from a company in england but I can't remember the name of the product. if you need several adobe applications, or need software for web production, image editing, illustration, etc, adobe has software bundles which are a MUCH better deal than bying each piece of software separately--especially if you buy at an academic price. For example, ~$400 gets you photoshop, indesign, illustrator and acrobat in the academic-price design bundle. That is a nice deal and any upgrade you buy is commercial--this changes the licensing terms to commercial. The interface across adobe applications is remarkably consistent so that is also a plus (takes less time to learn each).

I use illustrator (currently version 10) for:

- basic/advanced illustration
    - 1 or 2 page layouts (posters, brochures, letterheads, etc)
    - web design and text/image output (has many of the filters that photoshop has)
    - very simple single-page pdf production

Note too that photoshop is a photo-editing application appropriate for working with channels and illustrator is an illustration program. While you can work with photos and vectors/paths in both photoshop and illustrator, they are completely different tools in your toolbox. You can't really color correct in illustrator, and you can't (afaik) turn type into paths with photoshop.