User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot bizboostdesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Illustrator worth getting?

Im on the lookout for a new graphics program, mainly for creating logos although i would also create the odd webpage/banner ect... Since it would be mainly used for logos i was looking at illustrator 10 because that is vector based. Also because of price, ps7 is too much. I have psp7 but its not advanced enough to make good logos. So would you recommend illustrator for my needs?
    Zing Dev! Webdesign and Graphics Firm, coming soon!
    Idoogle.com's Message Boards!!!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Consider Fireworks as then you have an end to end solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few comments...

Illustrator ($399) is nearly the same price as Photoshop $600) so if you can't afford Photoshop then you likely won't be able to afford Illustrator either.

You might want to take a look on eBay...you can find some pretty good deals on software there. Just make sure that you get a "sealed in the box" so there's no chance or pirated software.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireworks doesn't have half of the tools illustrator does for vector work. Fireworks is more of a web tool. All logos show be made in some kind of vector format. You can always download a tryout version to see if it might be too much for you:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml

And if Photoshop is not advanced enough for what your are trying to do, then Fireworks won't come close!
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said that psp7 (paintshop pro 7) wasnt advanced enough. I think that i will stick with illustrator Also it is $200 more for ps. I suppose that illustrator is only like 3 competitions worth in the trading post i just never have time to make a decent design I think i will wait until i launch my site and get some cash from that

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Originally posted by iwinweekly.com
    Fireworks doesn't have half of the tools illustrator does for vector work......
    And what features would specifically be missing for this type of work?

What about also considering CorelDRAW & Freehand?
    Last edited by DazB; Oct 31, 2002 at 13:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked...Freehand is the same price as Illustrator.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DazB
    Hi,
    And what features would specifically be missing for this type of work?

What about also considering CorelDRAW & Freehand?
    I could make a list that would make your browser crash. Besides that he said Photoshop is not advanced enough for what he is trying to do. Photoshop comes with Image Ready and both of them together do way more then Fireworks can.

As for FreeHand, it the same tool for the same price but not as widely used as Illustrator.
    Last edited by iwinweekly.com; Oct 31, 2002 at 17:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paintshop pro 7 has some great tools for logo making (ie vector). But if you are making logos for print I guess it won't be that suitable

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't wish to labour on a point, but I very much doubt you could make me a list that would make my browser crash - bizboostdesign stated logo design and the odd webpage/banner etc.. - for which Fireworks is an end to end solution. bizboostdesign did clarify that it was PSP that wasn't advanced enough - not Photoshop.

Illustrator is a very capable program that excels in many areas, but (to me, with limited usage with Illustrator) feels underpowered compared to CorelDRAW.
    PSP is OK with basic vector shapes but is lacking when it comes to finite editing. I have tried a couple of times with Freehand, but it remains an unused part of Studio MX.

I am not trying to come across as some kind of Adobe hater or Macromedia champion - it seems that the standard reply to any question such as this is to go down the Adobe route. I don't claim to have any great skills and would love to see, by way of such as an example drawing, where Fireworks would be lacking for the use stated in the first post - telling me is no good, show me (please).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I highly recommend Illustrator. I have used it for a number of years and find it very easy to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off.... I misread PSP, I thought it was being said that Photoshop was not advanced enough.

I'm very experienced in both Illustrator 10.0 and Fireworks 4.0 (not MX). Unless things have drastically changed let me run through a couple of key features for "logo design" that Illustrator has over Fireworks.

1. To start, the drawing tools go way beyond the tools used in Fireworks. Complex shapes are very difficult in Fireworks compared to AI.
    2. Text on a path - Pattern brushes - Opacity masks - Transparency features - masks - Blending multiple files and shapes.
    3. Magic wand tool to select a range of objects with similar attributes simular to Photoshop (love it).
    4. PDF support. This will come into play for proofing, printing, etc.
    5. For printing what do you plan on giving them a PNG file? They will laugh at you....
    6. Manipulating text is WAY better in AI.

I could keep going, but whats its going to boil down to is what the person is going to use it for. AI covers all the angles (Web/Print/Publishing/Etc) even down the road when someone wants you to do something other then a logo. I mean most logos are simple and can be created with many applications. Download the demos and take a look it might be to much now but what about down the road?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If bizboostdesign had stated print output I wouldn't have bothered suggesting Fireworks - as you say, you would be laughed at (you can export to AI BTW) - I would, however have suggested CorelDRAW or Freehand.

What happens if "the odd banner, etc.." requires animation? What if rollovers, slices and/or multiple buttons based on the same symbol are required?

I do suggest you take another (good) look at the latest version of Fireworks - the options with 'live' effects, edges, line styles and being able to change coner radii at any time are major advantages to me. Also of importance is that Fireworks will work with layers and objects - better when you are working with images that have 100s of elements. You can freely mix bitmaps and vectors on the same layer and in this respect I would put it half way between Photoshop & Illustrator.

Fireworks isn't perfect (if Macromedia would take such as the node handling features from CorelDRAW as well as the ability to handle large files like the Adobe apps it would be) and it still has some annoying quirks, but it has the flexibility that enables me to produce a wide range of images as well as offering pretty good integration with such as Dreamweaver.

At the end of the day you are going to suggest what you think is most suitable, swapping to Fireworks 4 was initially confusing affair for me, but I cannot say that I have used anything else that comes close for (primarily) web work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I brought up the Print aspects of the programs is because when someone says "Logo Design" this does not mean web logo design. When I think of logo design I think of art that will have to be used for business cards, signs, advertising, commercials, etc. Illustrator gives you the ability to save the file in a format that will be useful to anyone of the industries I mentioned above (without loss of quality). What good does exporting to AI do for a person that doesn't have Illustrator?

As for Layers Illustrator has the same layer structure as Photoshop (minus the text layers). So I would call Fireworks layers easier or better by any means.

I couldn't agree with you more for Fireworks for web work, I use it over Photoshop in most cases. Some times I even bring my Photoshop work into Fireworks. If your going to be doing more web work then print you might want to look towards something like Fireworks. If you plan on doing more Print then web, Illustrator is the way to go.

No if you really want to get Crazy and save some money go with the Adobe Web Collection this Includes Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, GoLive and LiveMotion for only $999. Just Illustrator and Photoshop alone cost over $900.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DazB
    I am not trying to come across as some kind of Adobe hater or Macromedia champion - it seems that the standard reply to any question such as this is to go down the Adobe route. I don't claim to have any great skills and would love to see, by way of such as an example drawing, where Fireworks would be lacking for the use stated in the first post - telling me is no good, show me (please).
    If I can barge in here: Thanks for your suggestions - I'm going to take a look at a newer version of CorelDraw (had limited exp. with an old one. With Illustrator on my work machien, I had completely forgotten about that Corel.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! lot ben said since i last checked seems that i started a fued How much is fireworks or coreldraw? Im not that keen on fireworks as i understand that its not much better than psp. Now im sure that that comment will make me start getting bricks through my window... CorelDRAW is a program that i dont know much about... could anyone enlighten me? PS: its for web use only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Fireworks. It's great for web stuff. The only thing about Photoshop that I miss is the smudge tool.
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until you decide, you might want to try downloading GIMP. It's free and while I am not a fan of the exporting available it's got some nice tools.
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No feud just opinions!

If this is for web stuff only then Fireworks, Photoshop (comes with imageready) are the programs you should be looking at. Illustrator and Corel Draw are geared more for print work then web work. I'm not to familiar with psp but If it doesn't do much more then Fireworks, what else do you need?

Maybe you can just tell us what your lacking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... the vector tools on psp are not very good. I may get photoshop 7 on ebay... i think its going for around $250

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Fireworks is in a different league to PSP IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would anyone recommend illustrator for web use not print ie: logos, and the occasional webpage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is Illustrator worth getting?

Originally posted by bizboostdesign
    Im on the lookout for a new graphics program, mainly for creating logos although i would also create the odd webpage/banner ect... Since it would be mainly used for logos i was looking at illustrator 10 because that is vector based. Also because of price, ps7 is too much. I have psp7 but its not advanced enough to make good logos. So would you recommend illustrator for my needs?
    paint shop pro 7 hmmmm no commment.....
    i love php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illustrator rocks. I like it do to a lot of Vector based work. Esp logos. I use Fireworks primarly only for either Text or Buttons for WEB only

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you only work in web design and not print, that's fine. But one of the best things you can do for your customer is to design a logo for them in Illustrator or any vector program and say to them,

"I have designed this for your site, but you can take this file and get business cards, mailers, t-shirts, and so much more done by a print designer."

The customer will eventually have to pay some one to recreate <b>your work</b> in a vector format.

Just an opinion.