I am working with "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" and am joining what seems to be a long list of folks that have had trouble setting up a development server. Have downloaded Apache v 1.3x, MySQL, and PHP4. Tried initially to use Apache 2, but could not get it to work on my Windows ME puter. Uninstalled it and loaded the version 1.3 and got it to work fine.

Loaded MySQL just fine, or at least I think so, Have a traffic light icon on my toolbar and am able to un-hide it.

Am having a devil of a time getting the php portion to work. I have found many many many how-to versions on the web, but have not been successful with any of them. My problem is in understanding what files need to be where so that Apache knows where all the bits and pices of the php module is. Everytime I change the LoadModule to what I think is correct, I get an error.

I am very confused at this point as I have been trying to get this setup for the past 2 days. I would really appreciate it if someone out their in the land of knowledge and experience could point me in the right direction. I can uninstall and begin again, as I am sure at this point between all the how-to tutorials I have a wacked out mess.

I tried initially to set it up Kevin Yank's way in the book, when that failed I began my quest - but am still spinning my wheels. I want very much to get this set up and start learning PHP.

Thanks for reading. I love Sitepoint!