SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about divs

I want to understand how to use the "div" element on my website. Is there a good tutorial here or somewhere that is easy to understand? For whatever reason I have trouble grasping it. My website takes a while to load, and many have said I need to have columns or something speed it up.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Having columns won't make any difference. It's more likely to be big image files etc slowing down the page load, or a slow internet connection.

A div is just a container you can wrap around other elements for the purpose of organizing those elements on the page. You can apply styles to it, like a width, floating it etc. to create columns and so on. We'd need to know what layout you want to give more specific advice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay let me share my site, but please don't beat up on me. A few of your have been a real help to me with it, and a few have torn me to pieces. I know my site is full of problems.... I post mostly anymore in "Latest News" link, and some have told me it loads too
    slow. I want to know how to add columns anyway so any help would be appreciated. www.stoutstandards.com

Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    OK, I won't beat you up.

So, what page(s) / content would you like to break into columns? If lots of pages, perhaps pick one so we can do a trial run. Consider how wide you'd like the various columns, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post most frequently in the "Latest News" link, and want to know how I can get it load quicker. For that matter all my pages are similar so any suggestions will work for them too. Thank you...

Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The page does load quite slowly for me, but there's a lot on there. I would suggest that you perhaps just post on that page a snippet of, say, the past ten news items, each one with a link to its own page—like on standard blogs etc. That way the page won't get too long and hard to read.

The images aren't too large, but I guess once you have a lot of them it slows down the page anyway. It might be a big job to add columns to that page, and I don't think it's really needed. But the question would be, what content goes in what column? That is, how are you going to break up each news item? Anyhow, columns are not the issue in terms of page load. It's just the length of the page to blame, so I'd say break it up.