User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    Not bash them for not learning HTML and CSS if they will not be responsible for the implementation.
    But that's the catch -- if they don't know the limitations of the medium, what business do they have drawing pretty pictures to be turned into it... It's like the PHP developers who don't know any HTML when that's what they're SUPPOSED to be outputting. It makes them completely unqualified to do the job.

It's like handing a engineer a pretty picture of a car with no wheels and telling the engineer "It's pretty, make that happen"... or having some artist draw a over the top artsy pretty picture of a skyscraper, then wondering why 11 years after what it was supposed to replace came down, the FOUNDATION isn't even complete -- right New York? (while the Burj Khalifa took what, 4 years to erect?)

The lack of knowledge in regards to the target medium is why most every site crapped out by a Photoshop jockey is USELESS on the accessibility front -- and as disabled as my crippy backside is, I'm nowhere NEAR needing the accessibility aids of the truly disabled so far as the Internet is concerned. It's like they think they're working with airbrushes for photorealism when the tools are a #32 red sable and watercolors on whitewashed brick; the difference between a Sorayama and a Monet.

We've let the art f... art f.... art folks take over, (Trying not to piss off Wanda Sykes here) and they're DESTROYING the Internet as a useful tool by preying on the ignorance of clients who don't know any better.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus
    Nobody said Javascript sucks. It can be overused as with images and anything else.
    What I meant by that is the varying implementations of similar things between browsers and limited tool set to select nodes. Most frameworks help to bridge that gap.

Photoshop does not teach someone how to build a website.
    agreed – I was referring to the action of designing sites not building them.

This individual wants to learn the very basics of web development whom already knows how to mess around with psd. Why are some sitepoint members telling him to create a mockup before he knows how to do any coding?
    I have worked with several designers which did not know front-end code to save their life but had a good grasp of the limitations and useability patterns. For that reason I don't think it is necessary for a designer to learn the front-end technologies when only responsible for establishing the overall the look and feel.

In most cases I would rather not have them know any mark-up considering they than feel a need to do things themselves and provide an impression to people who do not know any better that something is near complete when it has to completely rebuilt anyway and integrated into a back-end system. All I ever need from designers is a static mock-up yet some who knew enough mark-up to be dangerous with DW have handed me a DW zip. When that happens I rarely open the zip and merely request screen shots.

This person should learn how to build a website in raw code first.
    Fully agreed when interest is in building sites. Though that is not to discredit the purpose of the static mock-up (wireframe). I tend to see it as two separate jobs – design and programming.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60
    But that's the catch -- if they don't know the limitations of the medium, what business do they have drawing pretty pictures to be turned into it...
    Like I stated above I would disagree that lacks of technical skills translates to lack of understanding limitations. I mean if that where true printers would be the only ones allowed to work in print. Though print like web is separated into equal but separate processes: design and production. For the reason both jobs are two very different skill sets. Your pretty much putting forth the same argument as printers who receive designs that are absolute production nightmares merely in a web context.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60
    We've let the art f... art f.... art folks take over, (Trying not to piss off Wanda Sykes here) and they're DESTROYING the Internet as a useful tool by preying on the ignorance of clients who don't know any better.
    I do agree with this. When there is not a front-end developer involved to some capacity they feel the need to do things themselves and that always ends poorly. I have seen it a few times with my current position where the marketing staff doesn't want to bother the engineering department with smaller projects and all around with "web design" freelancers.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.