SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Absolute newbie.. need help..

Ok, I don't have much experience with database programs, I have used Access in the past and it seemed pretty intuitive for me, (I'm good with MS products).

I have Dreamweaver MX and have been designing small (non-interactive) sites for some clubs in my school.

I want to know what I should use to create pages such as the ones in www.intranets.com or www.communityzero.com that have message boards, picture galleries etc.

I think they use databases to store all members information and the messages/discussions/pictures posted. I don't believe it is a very hard thing to do (at least not hard enough to verify 100s of $$s of charge).

I would be glad if you could point me in the right direction for this.

Extra special mega-super thanks in advance for all help..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi serval7.

Communitys online, such as this one, use forums software. This is available free, but more advanced systems like vBulletin do have a price tag attached.

If you are looking to develop an online forum have a look at these sites:

One of the free forums are well suited to small - medium applications and have a large variety of features. Many people find they prefer the interface of Invision board.

Which of these is best is a massive debate, and there are many threads on the forums debating the best software, so its better to have a search for such threads rather than debate it out here all over again.

If you need help developing your community then try the Community Construction Zone which is on these forums and located here: http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...?s=&forumid=71 you should get all the help you need in this forum.

Each of the boards has its own following, support and hacks and modifications. For example phpBB has a hudge community located on its site and also has several large sites, such as the excellent phpbbhacks.com with loads of modifications and add-ons.

If your looking to learn php and mysql, try getting a copy of Kevin Yanks rather fine book. The webpage is located here: http://sitepoint.com/books/?bookid=PHP-MSQL .

This really is an excellent book (was how I started out in php and mysql) and covers, in detail, how to produce a database driven site.

Good luck with your project

Rick
    Last edited by zoo; Oct 30, 2002 at 09:11.
    Rick

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    serval7,

For a general starting overview of database-driven websites, also have a look at this thread

BTW most people don't like it when you cross-post
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry about cross posting.

i just wasn't sure where to put it.. this is the place i put it first but then i saw that there was a newbie section and i thought that would be a better place to post..