Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting medium company site with a few self-hosted videos

Hello,

I'm looking for hosting as follows:

– web hosting for 15 page website
    – this includes about 5 self-hosted product videos of about 15 to 30 MB each
    – hosting vids on YouTube isn't an option as it's blocked in China
    – 24/7 phone support would be ideal
    – reliable email hosting for both from office and on the move

That's it really. I don't have any stats for the site, but the previous version of the site with a few videos was built in Flash and on shared hosting.

I've asked around a few hosting providers and some telling me that this site can't be on shared hosting, but I will have to purchase VPS. Is this really true? We definitely don't want anything to do with setting up and maintaining the software on a server.

Questions:
    – What is the best approach to hosting here? Do I 'really' need VPS or do they just want to up-sell?
    – Can you recommend a good, reliable host with great technical and customer service (possibly UK based)?

Many thanks, happy to answer any questions.

EDIT
    P.S. When I phoned Fasthosts, the Sales guy said he couldn't think of a reason why I couldn't use their shared hosting. Others said that the have CPU limits on their shared hosting. But why should sending a video file down the pipe have much impact on CPU?

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sending video down the pipe won't have any affect on cpu more than any other static file. If you serve a lot of views, the bandwidth used may exceed the limits on low end hosting packages (either explicit or the hidden limits on so called 'unlimited' hosting).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable host with good customer service, considering the above?