SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I need to set u a mailing list. The typical kind. Two mails per month, with subsricbers entering their email form a web page or sending an email to an subscribe email address.

It is a comercial newsletter, so I donīt want any ads or anythings that points a reader from our site (e.g. ourdomain-subsrctibe@egroups.com would link our list with egroup.com). I have an offer for 20$/month, but I would like to get a cheeper deal.

Any suggestion. I donīt want to spend my time on script configuration, I jsut want to get the servie and pay the fair price. I am just not sure what a fair price is?

jonpall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have access to your own server (hosted somewhere but with cgi capabilities) I suggest you to get something like Robmail
    available at http://www.robplanet.com/
    we are using it and for small list (below 1000) it works pretty fine with almost not setting up.
    for larger list Major Domo is quite the reference.
    Otherwise you will be likely to pay and price that is always cheaper than if you implement yourself.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Egroups.com and Topica.com allow you to start a group for nothing. Just an ad at the bottom. At Egroups you can purchase an ad-free newsletter for $4.95 a month. At Topica, once you start earning credits on your newletter you can earn money and place your own ads in rotation.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of all the free providors, go with Topica. They are my pick in a landslide.

------------------
    Marc James
    Sports Central - All Sports, All The Time!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EuroFreebies has a great remotely hosted e-zine service. It's at http://eurofreebies.com/ No ads or anything, either.

I highly recommend you try out some CGI scripts. PowerList at http://solutionscripts.com/ is a great script that is very easy to modify (if you know how to code Perl. MailMachine, also free, is more powerful than PowerList. It can be found at http://cgi-resources.com/

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before launching a mailing list on your own server make sure that your Hosting provider will allow it. Most don't for their lower priced accounts and others require that you use the lists managers they have installed because of resource issues.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thaks, this has been very valuable!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a tip or two to make Topica work for you! (Hey, that rhymes)

To make this work, you'll need two POP3 email boxes to dedicate to your list.

Sign up for Topica and create your list, and set the from email on your mail to your list's name.

Setup two POP3 email address called "subscribe@yourdomain.com" and "unsubscribe@yourdomain.com" and have them forward to your Topica subscribe and unsubscribe email addresses. Now your emails will have no ads (Topica lets you opt-out of the 'Sponsor Message' at the end - it'll still say Topica blah on one line at the end), your subscribe address will have YOUR domain, and the email will be sent from your list's name.

Example:

My ezine, WebDevPortal, is sent weekly to webmasters who have opted-in via Topica forms on my site (you can't tell they're topica, but they submit to my list there) or sent an email to subscribe@webdevportal.com - it brands the name and domain name! If they want to unsubscribe, they email to unsubscribe@webdevportal.com.

And, I've set those two email addresses to forward to the Topica subscribe/unsubscribe addresses AND my own email address - so I can see when someone's using them to subscribe or unsubscribe from my ezine.

Neat, huh? I have decided to let Topica include the ad at the bottom of my emails though, for the money and credits towards promoting my own 'zine.

------------------
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@webdevportal.com)
    http://www.webdevportal.com -
    The customizable portal for webmasters!