User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text size debate

What text size should I use? ems? points? pixels? I just don't know!

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personaly I prefer to use Pixels in CSS when working on sites, this is becuase I often find the page gets all messed up and looks wrong if someone has set their font sizes to Large in the browser and I have set it in points (size=3 rather than size=11px etc).

However there is a reason for people setting thier fonts on large, some may have bad eyesight, or have a high resolution and set browser fonts as large so they can read the text more easily.

Many people do get quite annoyed at this as it reduces thier ability to optimize the page for thier reading etc.

Its a matter of personal preference and also what the effect someone setting the font size as large or massive on your page layout and design scheme

Hope this helps your debate!

Rick
    Rick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would suggest using a measurement unit that can be altered by the user. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend a pixel-perfect design in conjunction with my previous suggestion, as it will just look nasty. However, most site visitors go for your content, NOT design (unless you are creating a design or art site), so try to stay away from pixel-perfect designs. It will save you a big headache.

--Vinnie

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dilemma comes from making a page with .85 ems and then setting Text size to "smallest" on the browser. It looked like a line, rather than text because it was so small!

Wondered if I did something wrong!

jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PX is only PX in IE! Most other browsers resize pixel designs, correctly--and there's a rather large contingent of people asking Microsoft to change their behavior. I'd use EMs (or % or EX), but check to make sure that it's not unreadable and blurry at smaller settings (I think .8em is about as small as you can make Georgia or Verdana safely). :-)

~~Ian

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a generally accepted size of ems that is considered ideal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I know of (like everything else in web design, there're pro's and con's to every approach).

You might want to do a search on "font size" here and see what comes up--this has been talked about before, but I'm too lazy to search it out for you. :-p

;-)

~~Ian

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally points are used for printed media; em, en, and ex aren't always supported correctly by some browsers, then again there are also percentages %, rather than specific typographical units. It's Horses for Courses.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this article http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/ ,it makes the case that you only have two options to get decent text accross all platforms and browers, use either pixels or nothing.