User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Navigation problem

Hi -

I'm starting to have a navigation challenge I need input on with my site. It's happening in a few areas but here's a basic example.

I run a website for actors and one of the section is casting and audition notices. I get several notices to post each day, and instead of just posting them across one or two different pages (which I've been doing), I figured I'd try a different approach. On the main casting page, I started to create links to new listings added each day (i.e. October 29, October 28...).

What's the best way to have my visitors be able to browse the different days? I started to create a form select box on the bottom of each page that'll bring them to what ever date they want to go to, but then I have to update each page to include the current day (not practical for me!).

Is the best approach to include at the bottom of each page something like:

< previous page | casing index | next page > ??

Thanks for any input.

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem to me that you might want to look at a PHP and MySQL (or other server side scripting language you prefer) driven solution. You could devise a simple system that would allow you to add a new page every day via an online form, and all your navagtion systems would be updated.

I would recommend Kevin Yanks book if your new to this idea, it covers this topic completly from Installation to developing an advanced system.

Also if you want a quick intoduction to the idea of Databasing your site, Matt has written an article on SitePoint.com entitled exactly that! Its here: http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/51

Theres also another article that spells out the choices you will have to make if your going for the database option, its here: http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/295

If you don't like the idea of a server side scripting solution then you could use the < previous | next > idea but I don't think this would be ideal as it would make people who want to switch between dates several days apart have to go back to the homepage to do so quickly.

If you don't like the idea of updating every page every day with new code for the Pull down box I would suggest two solutions:

1) Use SSI's (do a search on SitePoint.com to reveal plently of article about these, I would recommend Matts article, How to Save Hours with SSI's. Located here: http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/27 )

SSI's would be a very simple solution that seems perfect for your application, they are also supported on a wide range of hosts. This solution would mean you only need to update a single file and is completly transparent to your users.

2) the other soluton I can think of would be to use a Javascript. Rather than code it into the page simply include a remote file, i.e.
    Code:
    <script language="Javascript" src="javascripts/my_menu.js"></script>
    You could create a script that put the search box into the page (using the write function) and would send users to the new page when they selected an option.

This would mean you only need to update single file every day and would not need any extra services from your host as the other solutions would do.

Hope this was of help...
    Good luck with your problem

Rick
    Last edited by zoo; Oct 29, 2002 at 11:16.
    Rick

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Zoo,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am familiar with php/mysql but don't wanna go that route at this point (considering the fact that I can't code the stuff myself anyway).

Obvious as it sounds now, I didn't even think of the ol' SSI approach! That's probably the way I'm gonna go, for now.

Thanks again.

Josh

PS - What's up with *this* guy?!