SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently mail out a quarterly newsletter to my customer list, but I am going to start doing an e-newsletter (actually first issue will probably go out tonight or tomorrow). I am essentially trying to do 3 things with the new version and therein lie my questions.

1. Increase the amount of content. The printed version is only 1 page for cost and time reasons, and I don't plan to make it any bigger. But the e version could be any size. Is there a general rule as to don't go over a certain size or something? I get a few newsletters that just have headlines and a first sentence and a link to the rest of the article (personally that kind of newsletter annoys me--at least the ones that don't give enough info so I can decide if I want to read the article or not--sorry, Matt --actually the SitePoint newsletter does have good content right in the newsletter and good descriptions of the online articles so it's not too annoying). Is that the trend in enewsletters? I certainly don't plan to just dump a bunch of garbage in it, but have good complete articles.

2. be able to publish the newsletter more frequently. The printed version goes out quarterly. I plan to send the e one monthly. That way at least once a month my customers and customers-to-be will hear about my business. Is monthly good, or weekly better, is it too dependant on the newsletter subject?

3. attract new customers by offering a great free newsletter. I guess I don't really have any questions about this aspect.

One other question that just occured to me, do emails affect bandwith?

TIA
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Chris-
    There really isn't any sales pitch in the newsletter except for anouncing if we are carrying new items. I should make a conscious effort to keep words out that may send flags up on email filters so it doesn't get sent to the junk box. I guess putting a couple of links in the newsletter may also increase traffic to my site. The first issue was 12k and I don't expect it to increase in size more than 50% (at least initially). It seemed bigger when I was writing it, but once I viewed it as email, it wasn't too big--smaller than Site Point's.
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that as long as the newsletter contains valuable information it can be as long as you want. Sort of like Lockergnome. It's quite big but has a LOT of really useful information and links.

Just publish quality content and then you'll be sittin pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emails sent out affect the bandwidth of where they're being sent from. If you're running a CGI script on your own site, then yes, your bandwidth should be affected.

In terms of newsletter size: I believe Matt and company make a point to keep The SitePoint Tribune under 20k...however I think you could get away with a bit more without much problem.

It's always good to have a few article titles with links...since it's not usually a good idea to have more than 1 (possibly 2) decently long articles in each newsletter.

If your newsletter will basically be updates about your business and product listings and sales pitches, then I'd have to recommend a monthly newsletter rather than weekly...just a personal thing, most people don't like receiving catalogs in the mail more than every now and then, I'd imagine the feeling would be similar on the web.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."