SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    ParkinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    "Perfect Photos"? - Rule of Thirds

    I just saw this and agree that The Rule of Thirds provides a balanced and appealing layout for a photo.
    But there are times you want to intentionally provide tension and conflict and would violate this "rule".

    Do you agree? Does anyone have good examples of this?
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)


    Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

  2. #2
    SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone once said, "a great photo breaks all the rules". Some good examples of this here.

    Same with design. Rules are made to be broken. Sometimes we need to step outside the box and experiment with unconventional techniques, to create something truly groundbreaking and innovational.
    TheRaptor - Joe

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sparks, NV, USA
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're more like guidelines.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone has their style, if you find yours and it goes against the status quo, oh well, keep with it, and dare to be unique!

  5. #5
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    ParkinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taipres View Post
    dare to be unique!
    Well stated, @taipres ; !
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)


    Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

  6. #6
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo composition is an art and what makes a good composition is largely subjective. But the Rule of Thirds is just one of several "guide lines", as someone else posted, to help draw the viewer's eyes to the subject you want to highlight. For example, you could take just a stock standard centred, straight on view photo of a statue in a park somewhere. If that is what you want, that's fine. But if you want to try to create a more interesting image of the statue you might try taking photos of the statue from different angles, eg. from near ground level looking up at the statue from say about a 45deg angle or whatever. Photography is an art, not a science with hard and fast rigid rules.

  7. #7
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,265
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you know the rules then you know when you have to follow them... and when you can to break them!

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on how you look at it, I guess.
    I do a lot of art that turns our fairly well and I don't use the Rule of Thirds.
    It's preference.
    As long as nothing is centered or chopped off weird where you can't see what the object/subject is,
    I think it would be fine.
    Keep the eye moving and use odd numbers of point of interests.
    Photos are photos and they were taken a certain way.
    If the point and emotion behind the image is evocked properly, I think it's fine
    no matter what the rules are.
    Art is expression.

  9. #9
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    ParkinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telo View Post
    Keep the eye moving and use odd numbers of point of interests.
    That is the most interesting point of it all; Human Nature.
    There seems to be an instinctive nature about the way the human brain interprets things we percieve. Symmetry and balance are favored by our natural inclination to recognize 'patterns' in all things*.
    There has been some very interesting [recent] research that demonstrates the fact that we even CREATE patterns where there are none.

    And for that reason, ODD always seems more interesting than even.




    *A truly fascinating book, which I highly recommend, is The Drunkard's Walk. It explores and explains this in a very easily digestible manner.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)


    Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

  10. #10
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    That is the most interesting point of it all; Human Nature.
    There seems to be an instinctive nature about the way the human brain interprets things we percieve. Symmetry and balance are favored by our natural inclination to recognize 'patterns' in all things*.
    There has been some very interesting [recent] research that demonstrates the fact that we even CREATE patterns where there are none.

    And for that reason, ODD always seems more interesting than even.




    *A truly fascinating book, which I highly recommend, is The Drunkard's Walk. It explores and explains this in a very easily digestible manner.
    Off Topic:

    The other night I watched a new series pilot called "Touch" and it exactly made ParkinT's point on how nature itself shows symmetry and balance in the curve of a wave, the spiral of a seashell, the sections of a pineapple and went on to say that it's all connected, which is something I have believed for most of my life. Snow flakes are also symmetrical... each one, though different in design from the next, has six sides.

    I also agree that we create patterns where there are none. For instance, we "see" recognizable objects in clouds. I once had a bathroom tile that, when you looked at it long enough, you could see faces in the pattern. Sort of creeped me out -- all those eyes staring at me! In another instance we "see" recognizable objects in clouds.

    It begs the question... are there patterns in everything and we normally just turn a blind eye to them?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  11. #11
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    ParkinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    It begs the question... are there patterns in everything and we normally just turn a blind eye to them?
    You have just touched on the philosophical aspect of Chaos Theory!! Nothing in the Universe is truly random. The digits in PI repeat at some point; we simply have not discerned the value far enough to see it.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)


    Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

  12. #12
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,341
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    The digits in PI repeat at some point; we simply have not discerned the value far enough to see it.
    i call bs on this claim

    unless you can provide a reference, of course

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction having integers in both the numerator and denominator (unlike 22/7). Consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never repeats.
    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  13. #13
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    i call bs on this claim

    unless you can provide a reference, of course



    ah... we should have been on the lookout for the binaric man! He's a mathematical genius!

    But Rudy... never is a long, long time! (or line if you're talking about PI)
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  14. #14
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    The digits in PI repeat at some point; we simply have not discerned the value far enough to see it.
    Maybe they do and maybe they don't. But since the value of pi has an infinite number of decimal places then we will never know one way or the other with total certainty.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldin View Post
    Photo composition is an art and what makes a good composition is largely subjective. But the Rule of Thirds is just one of several "guide lines", as someone else posted, to help draw the viewer's eyes to the subject you want to highlight. For example, you could take just a stock standard centred, straight on view photo of a statue in a park somewhere. If that is what you want, that's fine. But if you want to try to create a more interesting image of the statue you might try taking photos of the statue from different angles, eg. from near ground level looking up at the statue from say about a 45deg angle or whatever. Photography is an art, not a science with hard and fast rigid rules.
    I agree with Meldin, photography is an art and each has his/her point of view whether as photographer or viewer. Additionally, the ever growing use of smartphones and designated apps contributes to the way we interpret photography today,

    Stacey
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jan 31, 2012 at 13:39. Reason: Fake signature deleted

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member Andrewee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ParkinT am totally agreed with you. This picture really shows that the rule of third provide a balanced and appealing lay out. Good to see this pic.
    Last edited by molona; Feb 6, 2012 at 08:22. Reason: wait 90 days to have a real signature

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Violating the rule of thirds gives a different perspective and should be considered as an option

  18. #18
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taipres View Post
    dare to be unique!
    A nice quote I heard lately:
    "Everyone is unique, except me."

  19. #19
    From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    guido2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    9,508
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    A nice quote I heard lately:
    "Everyone is unique, except me."

  20. #20
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,341
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    not sure where this should have been posted, but "rule of thirds" seems like a good choice, seeing as how there are three people in the picture, haha

    http://rudy.ca/toronto/tina-remon-rudy.jpg

    that's @ScallioXTX and his lovely lady Tina with me yesterday in toronto

    bottom-of-the-line $69 Canon point-and-shoot digital camera, auto focus/exposure, auto flash, 10-second delay timer so i could run around and get in the picture...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  21. #21
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,540
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    not sure where this should have been posted, but "rule of thirds" seems like a good choice, seeing as how there are three people in the picture, haha

    http://rudy.ca/toronto/tina-remon-rudy.jpg

    that's @ScallioXTX and his lovely lady Tina with me yesterday in toronto

    bottom-of-the-line $69 Canon point-and-shoot digital camera, auto focus/exposure, auto flash, 10-second delay timer so i could run around and get in the picture...
    Nice Picture Rudy I hope you are keeping that Remon in check I've heard he can be a handful after a few drinks

  22. #22
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    not sure where this should have been posted, but "rule of thirds" seems like a good choice, seeing as how there are three people in the picture, haha

    http://rudy.ca/toronto/tina-remon-rudy.jpg

    that's @ScallioXTX and his lovely lady Tina with me yesterday in toronto

    bottom-of-the-line $69 Canon point-and-shoot digital camera, auto focus/exposure, auto flash, 10-second delay timer so i could run around and get in the picture...
    Nice photo Rudy. You're a good runner.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  23. #23
    SitePoint Member Nerohawkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In taking photographs you always need to step it up a notch in order to capture the true emotions of the photo. Break a rule if you need to after all the best photos are those which where taken by bending the rules thus creating an artistic and more emotional feel to it.

  24. #24
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,341
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerohawkins View Post
    In taking photographs you always need to step it up a notch in order to capture the true emotions of the photo.
    my camera doesn't have a "notch" adjustment

    did you mean aperture?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  25. #25
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pensylvania, USA
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post cleared a lot about rule of third. Now I'll try to use these techniques with my Cannon EOS450 & update you guys.
    Thanks!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •