User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish Gift website redesign, reviews wanted

Hey guys.

Hey there guys and girls, I've been tasked with re-jigging our website and I'm not much of a designer.

I've come up with a few logo ideas and a couple of mock ups for the home page.

If anyone who's interested wouldn't mind having a look and letting me know what they think about logo and design. All criticisms welcomed No offence will be taken.

http://traditionalirishgifts.com/design/design.html

Whats the best logo? Is the design any good? So far I've been told everything from it's crap and you shouldn't use patterns/drop shadows/outer glows to it's nice. Honest opinions and useful suggestions humbly requested

thanks in advance

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit difficult to comment on the design because there's no content. What I can say, however, is that I think you have overdone it a bit.

The logos are too heavy. If I had to choose, then I'd pick #4 with the wooden background or as shown in layout #1.

I'd definitely get rid of the green background in all versions. They're too much. I'd also get rid of the green bar between the wooden top and the header and place a nav in the wooden area (if it must stay wooden).

The headers are nice though I'd shrink them in height.

Boxes in main content. Do you need these? It might be better to just get rid of those boxes and place your content on the white background instead and leave one box for a feature that needs to stand out.

All in all, I'd say, simplify the design and logo. Simpler doesn't mean less pleasing from an aesthetic point of view.

The colors are nice and fitting.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your designs are not subtle at all, but that's not necessary a bad thing. If you're selling fairly inexpensive items to a lighthearted shopper, then you could be the novelty they're looking for. That being said, don't go much further. If the content is as glaring as its housing then the whole website will look unfocused. Thinking along those lines, get rid of the big button-like boxes, or at least make them a lot less button-like.

Of the backgrounds the first is the best; the second looks like a lawn and the third like a kid's party. However, the content box needs to be offset somehow - the shadow from the second two mockups would probably work well. And the castle image doesn't go with the background very well - a white margin might make it look cleaner. Finally, have you considered fading the pattern so it's nearly the same color as the background? The green would still give you that vibrant feel.

As for the logo, it really is too busy. Why don't you try taking the fourth and toning down the outline's color? This can give it a nice crisp sort of glow if done right.

Overall, the design is enthusiastic. I can't say how it will turn out because it's very bare-bones right now, but just remember to only be enthusiastic about the most important parts of a website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments so far. All being taken on board.

Anyone else got any opinions? I was hoping for more that a couple before re-hashing the design again

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logo-wise I would go with either the Ireland map logo or the Shamrock. The wooden background is a nice touch and gives you more choices for the main site background as you wouldnt just be confined to matching green.
    For the main site background I would prefer a subtle, light background as you dont want it to detract from the rest of the site.
    Top 'O The Mornin' To You
    Last edited by irishman; Jan 16, 2012 at 16:17. Reason: typo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there

looking to what you posted reminded me of a website design i`ve done back in 2000 you can find it here <snip>Link deleted</snip> - crazy times - feel free to use any ideas from there

about the logo i think the one with the Shamrock will do (will make people think they are lucky) and also is a strong symbol of Ireland.

about the website layout i strongly believe that it lacks in consistency, there are way to many colors and they don`t really blend harmoniously, when you design this keep in mind that if people are looking for something they will have to spend time in there. Their experience should be a pleasant one and not exhausting for their eyes. Also you should focus to get your users attention on the really important things that will create revenue and avoid any forms of distraction.

chow
    Daniel
    Last edited by molona; Jan 20, 2012 at 04:58. Reason: No self-promotion, please

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, your website won me with an "old Irish" feel.

However, please do take note to highlight those contents that you want to promote.

Consistency is there but I am slightly confused over too many links.

SitePoint Member efashionclothing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

You can choose first from left side and third from right side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think fourth logo on left gives the best sense of "gifts"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally liked the almost gaudy flair with the green and gold layout. Very eye catching. Definitely made me curious in way to want to start cliking the links. But alas.........there were none to lead me to the pot of gold. What there is is okay but then what.? The pictures down to the bottom were okay too but I think some pictures of the merchandise would need to be shown. Especially if they are some really neat items. That would pique interest and that is the name of the game. Great looking stuff that is crafted well always sells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its too boxy looking. The layout needs tweaked a little bit