Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Michel V

Are men subject to natural predators?
    A single man can be subject to predators. I am sure you have heard stories about people getting mauled and killed by wolves, lions, tigers and other predators.

Here in Yosemite National Park, they have a minivan in the parking lot next to the ranger station. It was literally torn apart by a bear. Not just the soft inside but you can see how the bear ripped through the roof, smashed the windows and tore its way into the vehicle to get at the food inside.

Just last year, there was a story about a man who got eaten by an Anaconda while on a Jungle Cruise in the Amazon.

Where I live, the bears and mountain lions come down into the neighborhoods. Alerts are given at times, so that small children aren't let outside by themselves because they are prey.

Sure we can defend ourselves with weapons and we have pretty much destroyed the world's environment enough that large predators are not as much as a risk now, but we are still prey. Man is not at the top of the food chain, we just think we are.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke

Man is not at the top of the food chain, we just think we are.
    I would have to disagree with you here. A single man is not subject to predators if he plans properly and we are most certainly atop the food chain.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A single man is ... most certainly atop the food chain
    all I can tell ya is married men aren't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evolution is not "progress." Species change, but not with some ultimate "goal" in mind. That's a distortion of evolutionary theory as is this idea of social Darwinism. It's old news. Humans are so arrogant. Let nature take its course? Dominant life form on this planet is bacteria! Followed by insects. Get over it. Feeling important? Try a little astronomy.

And damn it, Mozart wasn't the deaf guy, it was Beethoven! Later in life. Sheesh.
    Gratuitous sig URLs:
    Fitch&Fitch
    StarlightSite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fitch
    ...Feeling important? Try a little astronomy. ...
    I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
    Neil Armstrong

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Bill Posters

I think you just crossed a line from having a thread of reason in your statements to talking utter bs in order not to concede the point.
    I think you are misreading Hellbent.
    He actually did concede the point in light of his subjective consideration of the morally unacceptable dictates of his position.

Originally posted by Hellbent

You might just have me on that point. No matter what I believe about evolution and the social decay of evolution, I have some rules in my home. No one goes hungry at my dinner table. However I find it unlikely that an invalid would be invited to my home for dinner. And on the off chance it happened, he had better have taken the necessary steps to have a nurse or something with him.
    So Bill. You see. We find in an adjacent post that your accessment of Hellbent is way off. Curiously, Hellent defended himself by referencing one of his posts in a different thread!

In any event, Hellbent has admitted that social Darwinism in morally unnacceptable. He won't let anyone go hungry at his own table. At the same time, he seems to make a distinction between his own table, and the rest of his community, where no LOGICAL distinction exists. My expectation is that the weight of subjective self-evident truth will continue to widen the cracks in Hellbent's cold amoral world view.

Especially in light of his autobiographical post we can see how Hellbent's upbringing has produce a worldview according to which strength and self-reliance is everything and kindness, charity, and morality are irrelevant. So there is no reason to doubt the sincerity of position, only hope that his continued exposure to the views expressed in this communty and elsewhere will continue to draw more and more concessions and widen those cracks.

Do you really believe that you have the strength of character needed to be able to sit and do nothing while your own child dies when you have it within your powers to save their life?

You call this strengh of character?

Strength of character is acting morally even when you are confused about the situation and cannot make sense of it in light of your world view, which seems to be the direction Hellbent is going with this.

You've also lost what little credibility you had managed to muster here as a rational thinker.
    I think you've gained credibility. You have shown that you are willing to consider morality as a relevant issue and that rational threads of thought must always be informed by human subjectivity and morality.

Now, lets proceed with the thread...

Originally posted by Hellbent

You know what Bill, Your right. After I posted here I kept tossing that question around in my head. It started to bother me, Of course my gut response suits my argument. However I got to thinking, If it were truly my son and for some reason he ignored everything I taught him about self-reliance and being a man im not so sure I could let him die off. Upon further pondering of "what would I really do" I decided I would most likely force him to join the service. They have ways of changing a mans ability to fend for himself. Failing that I would make it miserable at home in an attempt to spur him into growth and self-reliance.
    Hellbent, You are changing the hypothetical here. Your son is an invalid. He is physically and/or mentally unable to become self-reliant regardless of how effective you taught him the values of self-reliance. The Army won't accept him because of his limitations and spurs of misery, which may have been effective in getting you out of the house and into the world of productive living, would be pointless in this hypothetical case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by akohl

Hellbent, You are changing the hypothetical here. Your son is an invalid. He is physically and/or mentally unable to become self-reliant regardless of how effective you taught him the values of self-reliance. The Army won't accept him because of his limitations and spurs of misery, which may have been effective in getting you out of the house and into the world of productive living, would be pointless in this hypothetical case.
    Actually im not, It was never stated that he was physically or mentally unable. However I will humor you, If my son was physically or mentally unable to provide for himself it is very fortunate for him that I will most likely be in a position to fund his care. He will be no burden on society, He will be my burden. I would place him into a facility where they could treat him appropriately.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your support enable him to survive.

This obstucts the dynamics of the "survival of the fitest" principle. Are you saying that by acting against nature as an idividual the impact would be insignificant whereas if a national community did so the species would be weakened?

Is that what you are saying?

Or are retreating from your position that this law of nature must not be messed with?