SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project Management Software

I would like to get into the market of outsourcing web projects. On sites like eLance they have templates which help you create and track a staged project from start to completion. Are there any web design business templates out there that provide similar functionality, something that I could use between myself and the client to track project progress? I'm not that concerned with tasks that I need to complete, more something that client could use to track the project.

Some of the features may include:

1) An isolated area for each client to view their project progress, see demos, etc
    2) Graphics to show project stages, based on the agreed-upon workflow
    3) Indicators to show who is waiting on what information (i.e. waiting for the client to provide content)
    4) Project timelines
    etc

My guess is that I'll need to design something from scratch, but no need to re-invent the wheel if it isn't necessary.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like basecamp is probably what you need.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi pinch, did you give Podio a try?

Basically, Podio is a project management tool that allows you to create your own app that suits your needs.

Once you are registered, here are some tips on how you can set up a app:

1) An isolated area for each client to view their project progress, see demos, etc
    For project progress, there is a progress bar that you can incorporate into your app. If you prefer stages rather than % of completion, you can add the Category element to your app.

As for the demos, Links can be added to your app too if it is hosted online. Podio also integrates with Dropbox, Box and Google Drive so you can link your mockups to a project if they are stored using one of these services.

2) Graphics to show project stages, based on the agreed-upon workflow
    You can add the Category element to your app to set this up. Add the project stages as options.

3) Indicators to show who is waiting on what information (i.e. waiting for the client to provide content)
    For this, you can use the Category element again. You can probably label the options as "Pending Our Reply" and "Pending Client Reply".

4) Project timelines
    You can use the Progress or Category element.

What I am explaining above might not make sense unless you register an account with Podio and start playing around with it.

By the way, I'm not paid to promote it. I'm using it for all my projects and I think it's awesome enough to be shared with fellow web workers.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many tools for this it boggles the mind. Basecamp is a good place to start, I agree. It really depends on the work you are doing. I have somehow gotten 100% of my projects to run through Pivotal and it's going great, but I've used tons of tools along the way.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas guys, thanks.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.