I'm working on a project with a faceted search, and I'm confused about how to indicate the aria roles. In the high-res version, the site has facets (search refiners) on the left, and the results on the right.

The structure of the facet region is roughly (questions inline):

Code:
<aside id="facets" role="complementary"> (Do I need a role if I'm using HTML5 aside?)

<dl id="facets-list" role="application"> (It's a list, but it's interactive, so I didn't think the "list" role was appropriate...correct?)

<dt>Facet Group 1</dt> (This describes a group of controls to refine a search...do I use aria-describedby on the dd, or is the dt / dd relationship enough?)
        <dd>
            <ul> 
                <li>
                    <label for="checkbox1">Some Label</label> (Since I'm using label for, I shouldn't need the aria-labelledby stuff, right?)
                    <input type="checkbox" id="checkbox1" name="checkbox1" role="checkbox"> (Do I need to indicate the aria-checkbox state?)
                </li>

<li>
                    <label for="checkbox21">Some Label</label>
                    <input type="checkbox" id="checkbox2" name="checkbox2" role="checkbox">
                </li>

</ul>
        </dd>

</dl>

</aside>
My apologies, I realize these are basic questions, but I'm finding I'm a little confused about the application of the standards.

Until next time...