Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bits of advice:

~ if you can submit to them by hand
    ~ if they have a comments box thank them for viewing you
    ~ wait at least 30 days before resubmitting
    ~ you should only resubmitt if you DON'T come up or if you've had major changes.

don't worry too much about the engines. search out other sites to trade links with. This will help you 2 fold. 1 they are better links and 2 some search engines actually rank you by the number of sites that link to you.

you've taken on a difficult task but with persistance and the right moves you'll do ok..

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello!

i'm new to the webmaster resources boards and i just want to say i'm really impressed with this forum. my primary task at my new job is to elevate our search engine presence, so when i saw this topic, i eagerly read through every single post.

i've got one basic question though. i've read in a couple posts about how it's better to post to search engines at intervals. someone said every month, someone said every two weeks.

my plan is to set up a matrix of acceptable intervals to post to sites and try to regimen myself to a schedule. i know this sounds ambitious! but with your help and knowledge, i would be happy to publish it somewhere when i'm finished.

so my question is this. Where do you sumbit your sites and how often?

looking forward to reading more of these forums....

obliocat

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's some solid advice. reciprocal links are more important for consistent traffic.

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a way to check if your URL is indexed on the engine. Each engine has it's own way. But the web site that jonese mentioned will tell you how.

------------------
    http://www.CandMWebDesign.com - The best in web site design, maintenance, marketing, and development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so really, once a month is okay for all of them? i read so many different things. (that and AOL only once!)

i had intended to do them by hand, but i read some of web position gold's literature and thought i might give that a try. any thoughts on that?

when you say resubmit only if i don't "come up" do you mean show up at all or move up in the rankings? we have a product name (matlab) that gets referenced on people's pages, university pages, etc. i need to move us ahead of those people.

also, our pages change every day, but major rewrites or redesigns only a couple times a year. i don't know if that means i should be okay if i resubmit often, or not.

we do also intend to do a links program with our third party partners and potentially end-users. however, in the short term, i need to pay attention to the search engines. (near snake, big snake, you know.)

*shrugs* i thought i had a good idea. now i just have more questions...

obliocat

[This message has been edited by obliocat (edited January 26, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you only want to resubmit if you do not show up in the searcg engine. otherwise if you resubmit yourself you'll find that you might get a lower ranking. this is because the search engine thinks you are spamming it. i wait at least 60 - 90 days before resubmitting anything unless i have a major change on the site. minor changes don't really count.

Web postion gold is a good product. i'd try it.

the reason the university etc are probably ahead of you is becuase of two possible reasons.

1. they've been around a lot longer
    2. they have a lot more sites linking to them versus you havee linking to you.

the best thing you can probably do is check out
    http://www.searchenginewatch.com

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"