SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast Return True's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Length doesn't really matter as long as it is rich with information, and it is useful.
    Don't go rambling on about one particular point within an article for too long; that will drives readers away.
    Just play around with it for a while to get a feel for what you think fits best.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I personally don't care about numbers. I have some short articles and some 1000+ words. Because they needed each and every word

I'd be more preoccupied with making it original, useful, interesting, than counting words.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    Because they needed each and every word
    heh, good one

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From SEO point of view, not shorter than 300 words. If you write MUCH longer, make sure you make the most important points (full of keywords relating to your title) withing the first/second paragraph.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stacy_thao View Post
    From SEO point of view, not shorter than 300 words. If you write MUCH longer, make sure you make the most important points (full of keywords relating to your title) withing the first/second paragraph.
    Current search engine algorithms can detect the topic of content in as little as 200 words. However, this forum is for the discussion of web content for the living, not for machines. If you wish to discuss SEO, please do it in the Internet Marketing forum.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how SEO came up but I'll ignore it and focus on the original question.
    Many people have effectively said keep it as short as possible, but no shorter than necessary - while this is god and true advice its pretty hard to measure.
    Generally, if you cap over 500 words you might want to start considering headings and whatnot. SEO does come into this, but really it's just about signalling to your readers whats coming up.
    A big block of 500+ words without headers or images is pretty intimidating and will turn a lot of readers off. Let them see what's coming in a quick scan of the headers.
    Aside from that - no limit, no minimum, so go nuts.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanButler View Post
    Don't know how SEO came up but I'll ignore it and focus on the original question.
    Many people have effectively said keep it as short as possible, but no shorter than necessary - while this is god and true advice its pretty hard to measure.
    Generally, if you cap over 500 words you might want to start considering headings and whatnot. SEO does come into this, but really it's just about signalling to your readers whats coming up.
    A big block of 500+ words without headers or images is pretty intimidating and will turn a lot of readers off. Let them see what's coming in a quick scan of the headers.
    Aside from that - no limit, no minimum, so go nuts.
    If you are writing for the web visitor, you'd better start considering headings, bulleted lists, short paragraphs and clickable text links throughout your content no matter how many words you intend to write.

Honestly, beginning a piece with a word count in mind is counter-productive. In this, I totally agree with Dojo's post (#27). What you need to do is cover your topic in a concise manner that will keep your reader's attention.

A good idea before you start writing is to take a crash course in how readers read on the web:

Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500 words is typically the minimum, 750 is the minimum on certain sites, and 1000 or more words is generally leaning towards the good quality articles.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on different factors. I have written articles that are under 300 words. I have also written articles that are over 1000 words on my blog. It depends on what you are talking about. You just want to keep it interesting. It is better to write a shorter, yet meaningful article that gets the point across than a long article full of fluff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    A good idea before you start writing is to take a crash course in how readers read on the web:

Linda, thanks for those links. I've been writing for decades now, but the world has changed and writers need to adapt to the changes.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Moon View Post
    Linda, thanks for those links. I've been writing for decades now, but the world has changed and writers need to adapt to the changes.
    Glad you found them useful. The one from Neilson is quite old, but I don't think the way the eye scans the page changes much with trends. The other two articles are more current and I found the second very well written, adding a good sense of humor to a dry subject.

Off Topic:

The best advice I ever got was from a fellow co-worker. When asked how long he was in the real estate business his reply was, "I've been in this business long enough to know that if I'm in it for another 20 years, I'll still have something to learn."
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content length is important in particular for web readers. More and more the attention span of many is diminishing. If you haven't said what needs to be said in 500 words or less than you stand the risk of losing your reader. If you are writing for marketing purposes then you need to get your point across quickly. A little humor can help maintain an article's momentum if you are going for something longer.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to publish articles no shorter than 350 words or 2000 characters, whichever is less. I publish longer sometimes when appropriate.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may very depending on how you are going to manipulate the spaces of you web page. What ever it be the lengths the page must be cover fully with contents and contents may be text or image or videos. Instead of making the page with only text or only image or with only videos it is preferred to make it hybrid. Then the text length does not need much it may vary 300-600 words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each website has its own article word length. For example : To submit an article in ezine.com you must have 400 words whereas the article base.com differs in the article length.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndot India View Post
    Each website has its own article word length. For example : To submit an article in ezine.com you must have 400 words whereas the article base.com differs in the article length.
    you make it sound like the purpose of writing an article is to post it on some other website like ezine.com, which has the following welcoming message plastered across its home page:

Submit Your High Quality Unique Articles To EzineArticles.com
    In Exchange For Traffic & Exposure Back To Your Website!

if that's what you think article writing is all about, i feel sorrry for you

this is not the seo forum, by the way

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Web content article length

Hi r937,

Each one has their own purpose to write article. Some one writes article to brand their product, some writes article to create awareness among the people and some may use it to increase the traffic for their website. So the purpose may vary for each one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting points here and all with a level of validity. I did, however, only see one truly salient point which was made by Shyflower. The "visitor" is the crucial element. What is the topic of the page? What information will people wish to absorb quickly and how deep might they like to dig (at a slower pace)? In my opinion the question "how many words should a web page have" is actually the problem... the question actually is "how big should the website be?" How much weight, or credibility should it have? If you are offering up a subject matter, do you really, honestly expect that learning experience to be over in a single page? A good website commands the subject matter on a global scale - it must be a resource journey that educates, helps and invites further discussions and learning... just as a helpful human being would.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More short & concise your article will be more traffic you will get accordingly. Please make sure of only one thing that your article topic & content should be unique & attractive as people like original & different articles. Length doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of the replies to this thread, there is no "Magic length number" just like their isn't magic topic heading. I guess it comes down to your own writing style, and most importantly who you are writing for? If you're writing articles for visitors your primary goal should be to write a "good" article, including all your points/values on the topic without dwelling on trivial matters (that inevitably add length).

But again, there is no answer to your post, there's only a bunch of opinions Mine is that you should focus on the quality of the article, and the length will have to stretch itself accordingly.