SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this thread it seems... writing comes in naturally for some people.. I have very recntly started writing articles for my blog and for me it is a pretty time consuming job... choose topic, find appropriate keywords for it, read 5 to 10 good articles on the subject, in a doc file note all points i want to include and then start typing...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing is ok for me, when i have some specific content to write. It's kinda hard when i have to throw ideas out of my head and write freely, like articles or that kind of stuff. I'm in my first steps in web design and the web pages i`ve created so far are tourist guides about some places in greece, so writing was easy because i had a lot of information from already existed tourist books and guides, so i just wrote all that in my own words.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDewDrops View Post
    Reading this thread it seems... writing comes in naturally for some people.. I have very recntly started writing articles for my blog and for me it is a pretty time consuming job... choose topic, find appropriate keywords for it, read 5 to 10 good articles on the subject, in a doc file note all points i want to include and then start typing...
    Looks like you are on the right track, but IMO, you can skip the second step. An article should have only one keyword because the meaning of keyword is the topic of the article (key-word). Your content should be built around that topic and, if you do things right, anyone searching that topic should find your article.

Good writing is time-consuming. There is no way around that. When you see someone tell you they can bang out two articles and hour, that is exactly what they are doing -- banging them out. Good writing is much more than typing. I'm glad you're discovering that.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read Jacques Barzun's On Writing, Editing and Publishing.

The On Writing part is quite short.

I deals with the process of writing directly in The Writer's Discipline.

Reading it is a pleasure and a treasury of ideas from the master teacher.

The book deserves to be a classic so purchase a copy rather than borrow it.

If you like On Writing, ... you might also like his Barzun's Simple and Direct.

It is rather pedantic in tone. But if you're somewhat of a language puritan then you will love it.

If you read it and retain what it teaches you'll be on your royal road to mastering the rather difficult task of writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone will have a different writing process. Personally I like to generate my general article outline using sub headings and dot points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My writing style is little bit hybrid.. whenever I get ready for writing for some any general topic or niche I immediaitely get my face in front of my Screen and me and my fingers flow in the concept while typing, On the other hand for writing any awesome content, i prepare myself to gather some data and then arranging them on a white paper and then writing them in proper manner!!

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to start with the plate and then break it into groups. Once those groups are laid out then I am able to start to sub categorize those and then I being to lay out the base details I want to hit on each. Once I have those details for each group out in the air it is then that I am able to start to get the real words and layout started. It is easy to finish it up with a heading sentence and a final paragraph sentence for each after that. Then a conclusion paragraph wraps it all up tight.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness, I see that a lot of writers are highly organized and follow a strict process. Those are things that I lack, sadly. But then again, everybody's different. I don't have a real "process" as I just sit and let it flow. What I find most helpful for me is writing early in the morning. It seems like the new day brings with it fresh ideas and a good whiff or energy.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuriedAlive1 View Post
    Goodness, I see that a lot of writers are highly organized and follow a strict process. Those are things that I lack, sadly. But then again, everybody's different. I don't have a real "process" as I just sit and let it flow. What I find most helpful for me is writing early in the morning. It seems like the new day brings with it fresh ideas and a good whiff or energy.
    Lucky you! I once wrote a poem about what the new day brings me. Generally my "inspiration" comes just before I fall asleep!

I wish that at eight
    It wasn’t too late
    For the poetry to rise to the top
    That the ideas, that woke me at two and four,
    Hadn’t ground to a stop.
    That the dreams which seemed so reachable
    Remained with me
    Fresh and new.
    But alas, instead,
    When I lift my head,
    They run into the bed
    And are forever hidden
    From view.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Lucky you! I once wrote a poem about what the new day brings me. Generally my "inspiration" comes just before I fall asleep!
    True enough, many great ideas come late in the night. I used to be an owl and I could stay up all night writing until the sun would rise. I could never sleep until I was able to pen down my thoughts and was satisfied with the outcome. But then all that changed when I had kids. I finally found the best remedy for my insomnia: exhaustion. If you're too exhausted to think of anything before bed or even dream about ideas and such, like I am, there won't be any to forget. Come morning my mind is tabula rasa and very open to new ideas.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what I'm writing.

If I'm writing a long form sales letter, I'll develop an outline based on the features and benefits I have identified.

If I'm writing an article, I'll pretty much just wing it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Looks like you are on the right track, but IMO, you can skip the second step. An article should have only one keyword because the meaning of keyword is the topic of the article (key-word). Your content should be built around that topic and, if you do things right, anyone searching that topic should find your article.

Good writing is time-consuming. There is no way around that. When you see someone tell you they can bang out two articles and hour, that is exactly what they are doing -- banging them out. Good writing is much more than typing. I'm glad you're discovering that.
    Thanks Linda...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My writing process includes:

1) Researching relevant information.
    2) Researching for various keywords related to the topic.
    3) Outlining, writing and formatting the details
    4) Editing the entire written content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to write all my article ideas down on a notepad, then once I eventually get motivated to start writing I can quickly see what I jotted down and get straight to work.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start with some brainstorming and research. Then jot an outline of the article and finally spend the time to write it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important to have a set format that you use for the majority of articles. All articles written by myself or staff members follow the following:

1) Short introduction and concluder - no sub headers (2-4 lines)
    2) Short, evenly sizes, sub headed paragraphs (max 6 lines)

Using this structure, articles are easy to digest for readers and become simpler to write. For instance when researching first create the sections (i.e. 80-100 words per section) and then go from there.

Antony.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I do some research work on the particular topic on various sites, feel relaxed and then start writing by following the guidelines. I do not use the keywords too much and just emphasize on the main topic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like to write in a simple way. I avoid huge paragraph, but prefer to use small points. Thus my content looks simple and readers like to read it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think about what I want to say, and the tone I want to use.
    Do some research on the topic so I know what I'm writing about.
    I usually create an outline, sometimes I do this in my head, sometimes I put it on paper.
    Start writing, no proofing, no grammar checks, just get the ideas on paper.
    After I'm done, I ignore it for at least a half hour, sometimes more.
    Reread it all and start making edits and grammatical corrections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smectos View Post
    Get comfortable,think about what you're about to write.I just let my fingers flow above the keys.If I don't like what I'm writing I will abandon the idea or look for a way to improve the way I'm writing about it.
    Also to focus,sometimes I prefer distraction free writing.
    http://lifehacker.com/5689579/five-b...-writing-tools
    That was well said, I follow the same. I use to write articles and contents only when i am in a writing mood. Writing and designing are different from SEO and development as the former needs creativity and fresh thinking and while the later needs hard work and remembrance alone(may be just what i think Developers dont start to kick back)..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you too, But remember apart from our mood and researching writing also requires certain protocols for instance proper usage of bullets, punctuations and most importantly Subtitles are very useful, infact without the above 3 an article or content has little in power to keep the visitor on page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has a different process so you have to find what works best for you.

For me I usually have a list of ideas that I browse first to get inspired. I pick the one that sounds best to me in that moment (or another idea) then I get comfortable and start. Writing I usually just go with whatever comes to mind then afterwards go back and edit to make it better.

SitePoint Member
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My writing process has changed over time, but it's fairly set at the moment. I wrote a blog post on it recently that breaks the process into steps (with pictures!): <snip/>

But the TL;DR version is basically this:
    I start with an idea (usually this comes from a conversation, a blog post I've read, or a question I see in a forum somewhere). After research (if necessary), I break the topic into subheadings and then 'word-vomit' every keyword or idea I can think of for each subheading.

These notes become the skeleton of the piece, and I flesh it out from there. I've found that working with a basic framework helps me to stay on track and know what I'm working towards.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Aug 20, 2012 at 20:18. Reason: please read the FAQ

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I begin to write a passage, I would first do some research about the topic to see someone others' ideas. Then I would make an outline. In the outline, I'll list some keywords and topic sentences. After that, I would make a draft which will include those keywords and topic sentence. Then I would check my draft to make sure there are no grammar, syntactic and info mistakes. At last, transcribe the draft.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually i spend 30-40 minutes reading the new, then I realize that i have no time left and try to write like for myself, in a sense "would i read it". so basically i waste some time for a little bit and once inspired enough -get to writing)