SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

review my ebook ecommerce site please

Hello everyone I am new here. I LOVE building websites as a hobby. This is my first website that I have actually promoted for myself, SEO'd etc.. because I really hope I get this off the ground. I usually just build a site here and there for friends. I have put in a LOT of hours on this and I believe it's getting better each day. But I'm at a roadblock it seems. I really need some criticism for my site because I feel it seems to lack something to keep visitors wanting to stay / come back . I'm working on a very uniquely written content to place on the home page I think will help some. But I realize it just doesn't have that WOW factor that other sites I see have.

My site is at www.moebow.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hm, my first impression that it's a bit unfocused. I don't really know where to look. I prefer sites that have a nice introduction, that tell me what I can expect to find here, and why I should find it here, and where to click to find it. Also, the first thing my eye landed on was the logo, which is grainy around the edges and makes the site look like a low-budget affair—and that's not a good impression to get when you are being asked to part with money.

Also, make sure to proof read your text. The moment I see something like this ...

MOEBOW also offers great softwares for sell
    ... I know for sure that I won't be buying anything from this site. (But that could just be me, as I'm a stickler for proppa gramma.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ralph that I don't really know where to look.
    Nothing attracts my immediate attention due to the bland colour scheme, and some contrasting colours would really help me out.
    The logo is also a little pixelated round the edges (some anti-aliasing should probably fix it) and I'm not quite sure what's going on with the footer (it doesn't seem to be in the right place in Chrome).

Also as Ralph said, a little polish on the grammar would probably increase purchases by a bunch (that's the technical term). Like Ralph, there's not a hope in hell that I'm going to purchase something from a website which doesn't demonstrate correct spelling and/or grammar.

SitePoint Enthusiast Red Star Web Dev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with the other comments here. There's just so much info thrown at you that I don't know where to look. It seems like you're trying to fit everything into sidebars when they should be in FAQs or the footer. Payment terms, Currencies, and Information, for example, all belong in a footer where they're still easy to find without competing for your visitors' attention.

Your content is a little bizarre too. You're branded as an eBook retailer, but you're also selling software, website templates, etc. I think you might want to give your branding some consideration. Is this really an ebook store, or is it something else?

That said, the site seems responsive, the product details are well organized (get rid of how many are in stock though, these aren't physical products), and the search feature is pretty nice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website design feels a little dated, I'm not sure exactly what it is that does it, perhaps the font use in the header, maybe I've seen to many webpages with books all over them in the 90's, but I think the colours are a part of it as well.
    Also, there is a lot of information thrown at the user, perhaps more focus on a subset of products, with a briefer description, leading off to a more detailed 'about us' page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, I'm sorry but I'm not convinced by your site. I don't mean to be nasty, I like the idea (love ebooks) but the design would put me off a bit. Just because it looks a bit dated. The way you have the border pattern above the books and above the logo and the colours of the books and the pattern reminds me of an old tapestry type rocking chair my granny had (I'm not being funny - thats what it reminds me of)

The textured background looks like old paper too, perhaps a clean new paper texture might be better? I'm colour blind so feel free to ignore this bit but the colours also makes it look old.

Also the Moebow took me a while to figure out because 'millions of ebooks online warehouse' isn't a sentance. It's the warehouse bit that I don't like. I'd call it meeboo or something coz thats nicer to say and forget about the warehouse bit and have 'millions of online ebooks' or something for your strapline

When I clicked on ebooks to look I notice you list alphabetically left to right whereas I was expecting to look top to bottom. That may just be me though.

Sorry to be critical but hopefully it helps, and if you don't like me you can ignore me

Is it rude to ask your opinion on my site? no-ones answered me yet http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...reviews-wanted