SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post I need some help about setting up a forum.

Hey everyone.I don't even know if you all would consider this the right forum to post this question in but here goes.I am trying to set up an InvisionBoard on a Lycos UK website I registered for.I got all of the files up via FTP and got them in the right order.The next instruction was to run a php program that I uploaded along with the other files.I tried to run it and it said it could'nt even be found.I refered back to the FTP and there it was along with all of the other stuff I uploaded.One of my friends told me I was to CHMOD or something like that all of the files.How would I go about doing this if necessary?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I need some help about setting up a forum.

Originally posted by Kossae
    Hey everyone.I don't even know if you all would consider this the right forum to post this question in but here goes.I am trying to set up an InvisionBoard on a Lycos UK website I registered for.I got all of the files up via FTP and got them in the right order.The next instruction was to run a php program that I uploaded along with the other files.I tried to run it and it said it could'nt even be found.I refered back to the FTP and there it was along with all of the other stuff I uploaded.One of my friends told me I was to CHMOD or something like that all of the files.How would I go about doing this if necessary?
    CHMOD determines permissions of a file, ie, who can read, execute, and write to it.

You can change that via your FTP client.

If you need more help, check out http://www.invisionboard.com/documentation.cgi

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx

Thx.I will check it out and post back if I have any more problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lycos will not permit you to run MySQL and PHP on their free space.
    VENI VIDI VICI

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you help then?

I tried it and I kept fixing one thing and getting an error on another.So can you all help me to find a free webhost permitting me to run MySQL and PHP(Invision Board)and that preferably has no ads with JUST the board on the site?Thx.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mrtdirect
    Lycos will not permit you to run MySQL and PHP on their free space.
    Lycos.com is awful. Lycos.co.uk does offer PHP and MySQL, and is actually quite good and free.

Anyway, there are several free hosts specializing in InvisionBoard only. I just set one up myself and it's a great tool. Go to invisionboard.com, and look at the hosting resources forum. Several people offer free hosting, you should find something that's more than satisfactory.

Good luck.

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay with Lycos, try installing an Ikonboard. It does not require PHP or a database, just Perl.
    www.ikonboard.com