User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Javascript Search Engine ?

Hello,
    I have been looking around on the web, and I really am having trouble finding what I need:

I'm looking for a script to include a search on my site. (I want to search inside my site.) I would like it if I click on a "Search" button in the navigation menu, and a popup opens where the user can type what they want to search (then press Enter). The results would then appear in that same popup. When the user finds the link that they want, then they will click on it and that site will open up on top of the original page. I do not want a new page to open. The popup can remain there.

Do you understand? Is that possible?

I have very limited knowledge of javascript, and I would appreciate it if someone could send me a script (with directions for the simple folk) or point me to a website.

Thank you for your help.

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript cannot do this.

In a project I'm working on, I'm about to implement DGS Search which requires PHP and the knowledge to use it.

Of course, search engines are available for other server-side scripting languages, but PHP is what I know.

Since I haven't done it yet, I cannot comment on whether or not I think implementing this search engine would be doable by a 'non-programmer'
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As beetle said, javascript cannot search the site (it can only open those windows and stuff). An alterative to find a server side solution would be to use google's "site:www.yoursitehere.com" search.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input.
    I guess I'll change my search option.
    Does anyone know a script, or where I can find one that will display the results on the same page and open the clicked link on that page?