SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technology Training

I really really like to teach and help people use technology. What career options do I have?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not teach "computers" in highschool ... whether it's programming, networking, both, etc ... teaching's a great profession that offers stability ... and you will be constantly challenged by learning and teaching new "tricks" to keep up with the pace of things ... unlike History where Germany loses each World War every class, every year.
    Last edited by tdev; Oct 25, 2002 at 20:50.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adult education is probably the fastest growing and most lucrative choice among teaching.

You can always go for the Microsoft certified Teacher or whatever its called. I'm sure they pull in some bucks.

You can open your own consulting business for consumer training.

You can teach college or k-12.

There are plenty of teachers here in the forums that should be able to give you some opinons on this topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your chances of landing a teaching job in technology may be very good right now. I know that some public schools in the Orlando, Florida area are suffering from a big shortage in more highly specialized areas. One of my friends just got her degree in legal studies with a minor in Spanish. The market's not too good for somebody with a Bachelor's degree in pre-law, so she's planning on teaching Spanish in middle school or high school once she takes two more education classes, just to make an okay salary between now and law school. I'm sure the same holds true for other specialized fields like programming, graphic design, drafting and industrial engineering, etc.

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The consulting business is a great idea.

Also, in my experience in other industries sales reps. teach people how to use a product. It probably isn't something you would want to do long term but if you want to make some money before grad school it might be an option.
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good career options have been given and I don't know where you stand as far as experience and training, so I just have a couple of ideas to get there.

The local community (junior) colleges here offer Adult Ed classes (non-credit), all sorts of things from crafts to sign language to tech classes. I don't believe you necessarily even need to be certified to teach the tech ones, but check guidelines where you are. It might be a good transitional step towards better teaching positions. It is part time work, generally night or Saturday classes, so you could still hold a regular job. The colleges here hold an occasional orientation night where potential teachers can go to find out all about it. Might be worth looking into to get some experience under your belt.

If you can't get into one of those or need experience to get in, consider volunteering awhile at a local library to teach kids or seniors various computer things. Our local libraries are always offering these types of classes, usually basic computer use and internet. Some library teaching positions may even be paid.

Once you get some verifiable experience down, and some certs, you might look into reputable tech training schools in your area. There's so many now but find a reputable one, and they often pay pretty well from what I understand.