SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Resolution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resolution

What is the best screen resolution to design a site for? 800x600 or 1024x768?
    james34
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on who you're aiming the site at really. Your best bet though, would be to design your Web pages so that they look good at 800x600 and 1024x768. A good way of making sites look good in most screen resolutions is to use percentage-based tables.

More people are starting to use 1024x768+ screen resolutions all the time but at the same time there's a lot using 800x600. So, really, you're best off designing for both.

- Klav

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd probably say a table with 750 width. that always looks good (well to me at least)
    InQuE

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Designing for multiple resolutions is a science.

There are so many possibilities that it's hard to give just one.

The simplest and probably best advice I can give is to design for 800x600. There will be no unpredictability, and you'll know what the site will look like at any resolution.

If you have a very technologically-savvy audience, you may be able to design for 1024x768, but don't do that if it will alienate your visitors.

Liquid designs are also nice, if done right. You can make certain tables pixels, some percentages, and can make a very good site that way. But be careful not to make a huge table 100%, because copy might not look good.

But basically, it depends on your abilities and your target audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have noticed that a larger number of sites have scroll bars at the bottom. I have an 800x600 resolution monitor and this is very annoying. I usually use percentages in my tables because it lets the table resize but it also makes the text and other content squeeze up and look bad. I use the nowrap attribute in the <td> tag sometimes in certain situations to keep the cell content from wrapping and looking out of place, but it has been deprecated by the WC3 HTML 4.0 specification in favor of style sheet controls. I am not that good with style sheets but am learning. Thanks everybody for your input.
    Last edited by james34; Oct 26, 2002 at 12:36.
    james34
    My Site