SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building a mobile app concerning Joomla articles

This isn't a direct code question but a question on best practises. I am currently developing a mobile app which pulls articles from a Joomla database. So far things are ok however I currently pull information from the db but I would like to know how to implement cacheing. So that only new articles are pulled. The articles are updated only on a certain day of the weeks so how can I implement proper cacheing to save the app from unnecessary server requests.

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what language you writing this in? Also PHP? You would need to implement server side caching. Caching everything for about 1 hour should be ok. But the problem with that, there could be up to an hour delay for an update. Not sure about php, but .net has a Sql Dependency cache. So it caches everything, until something new is inserted into the db

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStalker-DNS View Post
    Well, what language you writing this in? Also PHP? You would need to implement server side caching. Caching everything for about 1 hour should be ok. But the problem with that, there could be up to an hour delay for an update. Not sure about php, but .net has a Sql Dependency cache. So it caches everything, until something new is inserted into the db
    I am using php and the hour interval is excellent as the articles are only updated on a Monday. However there is a huge archieve of old articles that will need to be accessed via a mobile. So tips on how to do this with cacheing will be very helpful

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using .net for iphone app. But for joomla articles i will prefer to use PHP.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leenamartina View Post
    I am using .net for iphone app. But for joomla articles i will prefer to use PHP.
    ok I am using php but how can I do the cacheing bit. I mean do a query to the server have a list of articles recieived later do another query and it appends to the list and not create a whole new list? Also how can you control how many articles will still be visible in that list. I am taking this example from goal.com mobile app and how they handle stories.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any other thoughts on this? I would like to append my list of articles until it reaches 20 articles and then it refreshes and starts over.