SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help! Totally unable to receive email, boggled :(

Hi! I am having a problem that I have spent hours and hours on. I am totally flumoxed as to why it isn't working. I am using latest version of nodeworx/siteworx on VPN running interworx.

I can't receive emails.

My client connects properly, sees the folders..but never sees a message.

Webmail always reports zero messages.

I have tried this on multiple addresses. No matter what, no mail shows up, and no new files appear in the /var/mail/ folders.

I have the permissions set to drwxr-Sr-x. The owner is vpopmail. I also tried setting owner to iworx, no luck.

One other thing. I had been unable to create new mail accounts. I think it was something to do with permissions, because when I set to 777 I could. But now that is fixed when I changed owner and set chmod to drwxr-Sr-x.

I'm desperate. I have spent more than 6 hours scouring the internet and trying everything I can. My whole project is stalled until I can get the email working.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
    Sasha Shepherd

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it fixed!

Just wanted to say, I figured it out.

I had been migrating from another site. It was another folder on the same VPS node.

So, as root, I had copied the whole user folder in /home/ from one to the other.

This had messed with all the chowns, giving the ownership of everything to root i think.

I thought it might be something like this, and tried to fix it, but I failed.

Success came when i deleted the account, recreated it, and copied only the public_html folder over. Now everything works great

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Great to know, buddhaflow! Sorry no one could help here, but thanks for posting the solution. You never know who else in the future this will help.

O, and welcome to SitePoint.