User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
    Existing Customers voice their thoughts, experiences, reservations, concerns, good experiences, bad experiences, competing experiences, and opinions in THEIR OWN WORDS...
    Because you paid them? Gave them a discount? (Why else would they bother?) [Just playing Devil's advocate here.]

Rather than waste time on what people think, make a video based around all that info you listed above. Demonstrate through facts (with research to back it up) why one construction method is better than another. That would move me, but not some drones in ugg boots telling me how good it made them feel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Because you paid them? Gave them a discount? (Why else would they bother?) [Just playing Devil's advocate here.]
    If I had any Customers be in a video, I WOULD NOT PAY THEM A DIME because doing so would be be a "kickback" and unethical.

Rather than waste time on what people think, make a video based around all that info you listed above. Demonstrate through facts (with research to back it up) why one construction method is better than another. That would move me, but not some drones in ugg boots telling me how good it made them feel.
    So you wouldn't include experts (e.g. Fire Marshal, Safety Expert, Engineer) and have them discuss some of things I described above?

Or you just don't like people who wear Uggs??

And you would include interviews with strangers asking their opinions on wood vs metal-framed houses?

Or interviews seeing how much people actually know about the topic?

Debbie

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi Debbie,

I worked for a multimedia company that did many Ads and Training for Sears and Chrysler. From this work I have several observations that may help you:

• Anything that is difficult to succinctly describe in text like the 'features of some thing (if many and/or complex)', a synergy by combining several products or services for a more powerful result, or things that are just better to be shown as video are good to be done as video. Generally the production quality of the Video has to be good and the script, and motion must not be stagnate.
    • Podcasts about a service or product are useful thing if they also can be downloaded, connected to as a stream, or listened to on a web-site. A pod-cast needs a content or subject matter expert(s) and reasonible quality. Frequency is also important as many of the people that look for pod-casts also expect a regular pod-cast time.
    • Not that you were suggesting it, but a combination of Text, Graphics, Video and Audio should be used to reinforce the same idea, product or service, this gives the opportunity for those people that better respond to auditory. visual mediums, and text, will find the medium that works best for them.
    • From the "blind" testing that Sears did, they determined that people will commonly not report watching a video or audio and not reading text as they may be perceived as being lazy. In 2012, I am not sure if this same result would exist but people do tend to be people
    • For Chrysler Training we ran controlled tests to determine if a group of trainees would do better with just Video, just Audio, just text and graphics or each of these; in the end it was determined that when all media's were combined there was a 17% increase in learning retention accoss the tested groups. While the tests were not exactly scientific, they were enough to have Chrysler include all formats within their training.

On a side note, Ubuntu Studio as their site describes
    Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the GNU/Linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional.

We provide a suite of the best open-source applications available for multimedia creation. Completely free to use, modify and redistribute. Your only limitation is your imagination.

It does have a bit of a learning curve, but by judging on your posts here at sitepoint you seem to have an unsatiable apetite for knowledge so it may be up you alley, and hey it is free; with a little investing in some hardware you can produce good quality audio and perhaps video (if scripted and shot/ post produced in an appealing manner).

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful post, ServerStorm.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Wonderful post, ServerStorm.
    Thank you
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ServerStorm,

Wow, someone who is not anti-video!!

Thanks for the detailed thoughts!!

Funny, because a lot of what you said is stuff I already know and the angle I was trying to take before I hit severe "headwinds" on this topic...

Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    On a side note, Ubuntu Studio as their site describes It does have a bit of a learning curve, but by judging on your posts here at sitepoint you seem to have an unsatiable apetite for knowledge so it may be up you alley,
    Awww... a flatterer!!

and hey it is free; with a little investing in some hardware you can produce good quality audio and perhaps video (if scripted and shot/ post produced in an appealing manner).

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    I always like checking out open-source stuff, although, this is one topic where I may bow to the proprietary world and check out what Apple has to offer in 2012.

Thanks!

Debbie

Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wow, someone who is not anti-video!!
    Is that how you read this thread? O dear. I love video, as I said, but for the right reasons (which were nicely summarized by ServerSotrm, such as helping to clarify and reinforce information that's not so easy to grasp or absorb in text alone).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that how you read this thread? O dear. I love video, as I said, but for the right reasons (which were nicely summarized by ServerSotrm, such as helping to clarify and reinforce information that's not so easy to grasp or absorb in text alone).
    The main thing I have taken away is that Testimonials suck and that video is a very lowly ranked choice if it has anything to do with selling...

I think people's opinions are very slanted one way, which is fine, I guess.

I was expecting tons of, "Good decision!", "Good ideas!", "Way to make your website more interesting (and believable) to Customers", and so on.

Regardless of what has been said so far, or how I took it, doesn't change my strong desire to take my business and my message to new dimensions using audio and video. (Of course I'll have to work on ways to make it "verifiable" so that it is "believable" to some...)

Debbie

Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The main thing I have taken away is ... video is a very lowly ranked choice if it has anything to do with selling...
    No, again not what I was saying. I like videos on sites that tell me about their product--but by showing me how it works, rather than just having people I don't know telling me how good it is. I want to see the product for myself, get to know how it works etc. Video is great for that, and is a great way to sell a product to me.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, but I don't seem to be able to get that across either.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    ServerStorm,
    I always like checking out open-source stuff, although, this is one topic where I may bow to the proprietary world and check out what Apple has to offer in 2012.
    Debbie
    Yes this is best suited for someone with a limited budget, and time to learn, though if money is not as important then Apple has some great software for your needs.

Althoug Apple Final Cut Pro X has been widely critisized by people that used version 7, It is a decent price and has some great features that may help you for example from http://www.nytimes.com/...
    In fact, an ingenious feature called Compound Clips lets you collapse a stack of audio and video clips into a single, merged filmstrip on the timeline. You can adjust it, move it and apply effects as if it were a single unit, and then un-merge it anytime you like. Compound Clips make it simple to manage with a complicated composition without going quietly insane.
    One type of 'talking head/testimonial' that does seem to garner the right sort of attention is a video scripted from a business owner or high ranking employee of a company; in general people like to know who they are buying from, and gage whether or not they 'like' someone. A picture or a video in this regard can actually lend credibility. In fact, people have made video testimonials work when the create an environment of credibility - hard to do but possible.

I guess a good 'take away' from this thread is that, one must be careful in the way that they use multimedia; as a supportive medium it can be very effective.

May your motion pictures be great

Steve
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    One type of 'talking head/testimonial' that does seem to garner the right sort of attention is a video scripted from a business owner or high ranking employee of a company
    An example I can think of that did impress me (as a kid) was when the owner of Remington shavers declared—"I was so impressed, I bought the company". But that's rare.