SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Perhaps someone could run a poll in a thread to get a guesstimate of what people think of video/audio testimonials on a website and whether they would watch/listen to them. My gut feeling is that the vast majority would say they would not watch and/or listen to a testimonial on a website whose main purpose is not to get people to watch videos in general.

If the testimonial was on something like youtube, then that might be different because people go to youtube type sites to actually watch videos.

Personally, I see testimonials (written, video, audio) that can't be verified by a visitor as parasites on a web page

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I do like videos of a certain kind ... manly those that show how a product works, like a CMS, a shopping cart etc. In such scenarios, a picture/video can can be worth a thousand words. With testimonials, meh, probably not so. And to be honest, audio only is even less appealing.

So it really boils down to how much people want/need your product, and how much convincing they need. I've decided over time that advertising only works for some products, and it's probably the same for video.
    Wow!!! I am really surprised by your guys' mindsets...

Ha ha, . Too much high culture there for me.
    Ha ha! I told you I was embarrassed to have mentioned it after watching clips I haven't seen in over 30 years!!! Oh well?!

Debbie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Same here. Whether professionally made or not, no one would get me to click on a testimonial video.
    So you didn't like any of the videos in Post #6??

Debbie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
    We're guys - we build and make things and occasionally break them as well

Most blokes will watch a "How to..." video if it's something that interests them. But watch someone on a video blabber on about how good something is without being able to verify it, NO WAY!! . Then again , it might depend on how scantily clad the interviewer/interviewee are

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Height View Post
    We're guys - we build and make things and occasionally break them as well

Most blokes will watch a "How to..." video if it's something that interests them. But watch someone on a video blabber on about how good something is without being able to verify it, NO WAY!! . Then again , it might depend on how scantily clad the interviewer/interviewee are
    I'm not a guy...
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    This is called market research. Mind you, you'd be better off running these questions by your potential market/audience to get a real sense of how effective this would be. (Polling a bunch of cranky web developers is probably not your best option. )

Off Topic:

I'm not a guy...
    There was a discussion about this a few years ago. The consensus was that "guys" applies to men an women as a group, but "guy" is just for males.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I'm not a guy...
    It's another Americanism.

"Guys" is the same as "You all" or "Y'all" or "You'ens" depending on where you are in the U.S.

I know you are a female, Kohutek.

Debbie

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you didn't like any of the videos in Post #6??

Debbie
    Quality-wise the videos are good, but they're neither interesting nor compelling. If I wanted to get an idea about a University, I'd want to read up on it, the study plans, the courses, modules, educational staff and so on. I certainly wouldn't want to know what one or two students think of the University because, a) I don't know who these people are and what they value, b) Just because others like it doesn't mean that I would, and, c) how would I know what they say is actually true? It looks like an ad, feels like an ad, and it is an ad. And ads very rarely are persuasive or convincing to me, minus one or two exceptions, perhaps.

I'm not against video at all, but testimonial videos just aren't something I'd want to watch.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I'm not a guy...
    That's ok

'guys' can mean both men and women collectively or just the men in a group of men and women.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Ok, but blokes? That's exclusively addressing males, isn't it? Why can't learning ever end? Not that I'd want it to...but geesh

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Off Topic:

Ok, but blokes? That's exclusively addressing males, isn't it? Why can't learning ever end? Not that I'd want it to...but geesh
    Yes, "blokes" is just for males. But don't worry about learning Australian slang. It's not worth your time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Ok, but blokes? That's exclusively addressing males, isn't it?
    I don't see what you are complaining about.

If you're not a bloke or a guy, then I wasn't including you at all

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

The term bloke is Australian slang? I didn't know that, either.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Height View Post
    Off Topic:

I don't see what you are complaining about.

If you're not a bloke or a guy, then I wasn't including you at all
    Off Topic:

So you consider asking what certain terminology means complaining? That's strange. I was curious, simply curious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

So you consider asking what certain terminology means complaining? That's strange. I was curious, simply curious.
    ok, my bad .

Sometimes it's not easy to interpret correctly the tone of a post

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Off Topic:

The term bloke is Australian slang? I didn't know that, either.
    Neither did I - it's widely used in the UK.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

What's going on here

10 out of the last 11 posts are Off-topic

oh btw - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality-wise the videos are good, but they're neither interesting nor compelling. If I wanted to get an idea about a University, I'd want to read up on it, the study plans, the courses, modules, educational staff and so on. I certainly wouldn't want to know what one or two students think of the University because, a) I don't know who these people are and what they value, b) Just because others like it doesn't mean that I would, and, c) how would I know what they say is actually true? It looks like an ad, feels like an ad, and it is an ad. And ads very rarely are persuasive or convincing to me, minus one or two exceptions, perhaps.

I'm not against video at all, but testimonial videos just aren't something I'd want to watch.
    So you (and others) are averse to *watching* advertising, but you don't mind *reading* it?!

Explain that one to me...

You make it sound like if it is a video testimonial then it must a snake-oil salesman, but if you read copy then it is "fair and balanced"?

Personally, I liked all of the videos I posted in Post #6. (I spent a fair amount of time lloking for ads that didn't look "home-made" and that didn't sound like "pitches" on late-night TV. They all seemed "genuine" to me.

Would I want to follow up - after watching those videos - with reading more on what they were promoting/selling? Sure! But do I think they were "snake-oil salesmen"? No.

I figured that genuine videos or audio that was designed to educate the consumer and show that there is a problem that needs to be solved would make good business sense.

Everyone is different?!

Debbie

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slightly confused...

How can one conclude from "I don't like video testimonials" this:

So you (and others) are averse to *watching* advertising, but you don't mind *reading* it?!

Explain that one to me...

You make it sound like if it is a video testimonial then it must a snake-oil salesman, but if you read copy then it is "fair and balanced"?
    I can't explain because I never made the statements you concluded from my post. I simply don't like testimonials, be it in audio, video or text format. I didn't address text because you were specifically asking about video.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slightly confused...

How can one conclude from "I don't like video testimonials" this:

I can't explain because I never made the statements you concluded from my post. I simply don't like testimonials, be it in audio, video or text format. I didn't address text because you were specifically asking about video.
    Earlier you said...
    Quality-wise the videos are good, but they're neither interesting nor compelling.
    It looks like an ad, feels like an ad, and it is an ad. And ads very rarely are persuasive or convincing to me, minus one or two exceptions, perhaps.
    And my point was that you don't like video ads but it appears that if you read an ad it is okay.

If I was the University of Kansas, and I wanted you to enroll, what is the difference - to you - if I video tape several students telling you what they like about the school versus if I did the same thing in a write up?

If you are suspicious of video testimonials, then logically you would be equally suspicious of textual ads as well. Right?

It is all advertising! Just different mediums.

To me, however, an audio or video of a *real* human being makes advertising easier to discern from a write up because of all the non-verbals you can pick up from the "human dimension".

I'm not telling you how to feel, but I just don't see why you don't mind reading advertising, but watching a video which is basically advertising doesn't appeal to you?!

Debbie

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I mentioned above that I'd rather watch a video than read text, but Stevie said that he would rather read text. But we were probably more talking about reading/viewing information about a product rather than testimonials. Testimonials are not really the same as product information. I've seen clients who have faked testimonials ... and all TV ads are essentially fake testimonials to get you to buy ... so all this stuff has a bad name (at least to me). As a former teacher, I was always appalled at the information in each School's glossy prospectus (telling parents all about the lofty values of the school etc.). At no place I ever taught/visited did the staff either know about or take any notice of all that glossy fluff. It amazes me that anyone takes any of this sort of thing seriously now. I mean ... am I really supposed to think well of a product because some sexy smiling actor in a TV ad tells me how good a product/service is? Everyone surely knows that, in reality, the service will be lousy, the product will have problems, I'll have to wait on the phone for hours if I have a complaint ...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've seen clients who have faked testimonials ... and all TV ads are essentially fake testimonials to get you to buy ... so all this stuff has a bad name (at least to me).
    Yep, agree 100%

I would think that only a very small number of gullible, for whatever reason, people would place any credibility on unverifiable testimonials of any kind.

Imo, if a testimonial is not verifiable then it's probably a lie. Hence the overall poor reputation of testimonials of any type.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned above that I'd rather watch a video than read text, but Stevie said that he would rather read text.
    So we agree that everyone has different tastes.

But we were probably more talking about reading/viewing information about a product rather than testimonials. Testimonials are not really the same as product information. I've seen clients who have faked testimonials ... and all TV ads are essentially fake testimonials to get you to buy ... so all this stuff has a bad name (at least to me).
    So maybe I am to blame for using the term "testimonial" in the first place?! (I think I'm the one who started this?!)

I think what I am trying to do in NOT what turns you (and others) off so much...

As a former teacher, I was always appalled at the information in each School's glossy prospectus (telling parents all about the lofty values of the school etc.). At no place I ever taught/visited did the staff either know about or take any notice of all that glossy fluff. It amazes me that anyone takes any of this sort of thing seriously now. I mean ... am I really supposed to think well of a product because some sexy smiling actor in a TV ad tells me how good a product/service is? Everyone surely knows that, in reality, the service will be lousy, the product will have problems, I'll have to wait on the phone for hours if I have a complaint ...
    WHOA horsey!!!

(I swear I am neither running for elected office, nor am I selling crap on late night infomercials!!!)

*rewind*

Let me try to do a better job of explaining some ideas that I have without giving away my specific business secrets...

Pretend for a moment that I am in construction...

In the U.S., probably 95% of houses are built out of wood with a subset having brick exteriors. And lets say that I build houses exclusively using metal framing - similar to how commercial buildings are built.

I want to SELL you and everyone else on choosing ME to build your dream home. But #1, you don't know me. #2, you just assume a wood-framed home is the way to go. #3, like most people, you are averse to change.

So, being the great entrepreneur that I am - or hope to be - I put together some VIDEOS for my website.

In these videos, I have a couple of objectives/themes...

1.) I want to EDUCATE people on why metal-framed residential homes are better
    For instance, metal-framed homes are:
    - stronger (duh!)
    - safer (think fire)
    - easier to construct (let's assume)
    - similarly priced (surprising?!)
    and so on...

2.) I want SHOW how you build a metal-framed house
    - How are things put together? (Are you gonna be welding all day?)
    - What kind of metal is used?
    - What happens if I want to change the layout? (Can you move the metal?)
    - What do the walls look like exposed?
    - What does a finished house look like?
    - Will we even notice a difference?!

3.) I want CONVEY what others are saying.
    This part is probably the most "advertsey", but it is no different than if you drove over to the Jones, asked them if they liked their metal-framed house, and it turns out I paid them $1,000 to give you a "snow job"?! (People can lie in *any* format...)

But it also lets Non-Customers, Potential Customers, and Existing Customers voice their thoughts, experiences, reservations, concerns, good experiences, bad experiences, competing experiences, and opinions in THEIR OWN WORDS...

And I think viewers can tell the difference between some model bimbo saying, "I quit my job, and after spending only $500 on the 'How to start your own Alpaca Ranch in any large, urban area' I was able to start making over $50,000 per week without leaving bed?!" and maybe watching some local couple who talk about the pros and cons of a wood-framed house versus a metal-framed house, and why they ultimately chose me.

4.) There is also the ability to get TESTIMONIALS - that ugly word - where people can talk about their experiences in their own words.

Maybe I could have a couple who's house survived a fire or tornado talk about how my metal-framed design helped save their home??

Or interview a local Fire Marshall and get his take on wood vs. metal?

Or maybe interview one of the carpenters who does the actual work, and let him describe why he likes working with metal better?

Is all of this "advertising" in some way, shape, or form? YES!!!

But it may be more effective than tomes and tomes of boring text...

It is just another avenue to 1.) Establish which Problems exist, 2.) Educate Consumers on the Issues, 3.) Offer a Solution to the Problem, and 4.) Develop Trust as to why You are the Best Choice. (easier to do when people can hear or see a real human being...

That is what I am hoping to do...

(And, no, I do not build metal-framed house!!)

Debbie

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only form of ads I like are products, meaning, your portfolio works. I NEVER said I liked reading advertising. I haven't a clue why you think that because I neither implied nor suggested any such thing. But most people on here (developers) won't like ads very much, regardless of the shape or form. That does not mean other audiences won't like it. I am sure there's a market for video ads, just like there's a market for text ads.

So, like someone else suggested earlier on, there's nothing wrong with giving it a try.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only form of ads I like are products, meaning, your portfolio works. I NEVER said I liked reading advertising. I haven't a clue why you think that because I neither implied nor suggested any such thing. But most people on here (developers) won't like ads very much, regardless of the shape or form. That does not mean other audiences won't like it. I am sure there's a market for video ads, just like there's a market for text ads.

So, like someone else suggested earlier on, there's nothing wrong with giving it a try.
    Sorry if I misunderstood what you were thinking.

Debbie