SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review new portfolio site

http://zeeb44.com/

I built a new portfolio site this past week and my goal was - Simple, slim, fast loading, very easily navigated. Hoping I somewhat nailed it. Please let me know what you think or what you would do differently. Thanks everyone.
    Personal Portfolio - Zeeb44
    IT Manager for - Family Dental Health

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what I see so far, nifty design and structure. Unfortunately, either the lightbox doesn't seem to work, or you intentionally left the home screen blank except for the graphic 44 on the gray wood background. Also, Firefox crashed within a minute of loading it. I haven't combed through the site's code, but with a presumably dysfunctional lightbox and a quickly crashing browser, something may be hinky somewhere....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say the light box wasn't working but the home page was blank. re you referring to the images that pop out on the work page? Everything seems to work for me in all browsers and yes the home page was intentionally left blank. May end up putting something there eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also are you in a Mac or pc? I'm in a pc.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I agree with Black Max - the home page looks as if there should be something there that isn't working. If I'd come across your site as a potential customer, rather than to review it, I would have assumed there was a problem and left again without going any further.

On your work page, you have images of work you've done, but no text to explain it. Did you build the entire site? Design the layout? Design the logo? What was your contribution? I would expect a link to the site in question, so I could see your work properly for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a liitle bit surprised when I visit your website that it was empty! So may be you need to add introduction! Because I wanted to quit the site but started to click your buttons )
    I like jquery scripts that navigate the pages!
    Good work and good luck!
    Fokebox
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    I agree with Black Max - the home page looks as if there should be something there that isn't working. If I'd come across your site as a potential customer, rather than to review it, I would have assumed there was a problem and left again without going any further.

On your work page, you have images of work you've done, but no text to explain it. Did you build the entire site? Design the layout? Design the logo? What was your contribution? I would expect a link to the site in question, so I could see your work properly for myself.
    Yes I need to add some descriptions and links to them so you can see that actual sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokebox View Post
    I was a liitle bit surprised when I visit your website that it was empty! So may be you need to add introduction! Because I wanted to quit the site but started to click your buttons )
    I like jquery scripts that navigate the pages!
    Good work and good luck!
    Fokebox
    Yea looks like I will end up doing something on the home page. Need to figure out what though. I need to maintain the clean simple structure. Thanks again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree to TechnoBear because in the beginning I assumed that I am on a wrong link or something because the page was blank. Then before closing the tab I thought I should click on about or other links. So, in my opinion you should add something on home page as well. Rest, the color theme and navigation is perfectly fine.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeb44 View Post
    looks like I will end up doing something on the home page. Need to figure out what though.
    What do you want the site to do for you? Do you want web clients? Well you'd better let them know that. The blank space is crying out for an explanation of what you can do for your customers. The About section is too much about you ... but nobody cares about your life story ... they need to know what you can do for them. So perhaps move the second part of the About page to the top, but rather than make it all about you, make it about the potential client. Nobody really cares what tools you use, either, as long as you can produce the desired result.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link is not working, it opens youtube,it is saying Object moved,.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look but, like most of the others, feel you should put something on the home page saying what the site is about. Graphically great

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression is really good. I immediately think that a graphic artist built the site.

Funny, that I waited and started at the main 44 page for a few seconds waiting for something to happen. Perhaps a delayed page switch if someone is staring at the 44 page for too long would be good.
    The links that blow up an image look really good.

All in all I think the site is good and to the point, but that submit button, c'mon. After seeing the site, my expectation was so much greater. :-P

-
    Reticulogic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi zeeb, I think you got most of your goals done.

The only suggestions that I have is adding some little line of text in the landing section that helps to get an idea of what is the site about, because the big "44" standing alone could be a little bit confusing, so I think that some introductory line could help a lot to get the user interest before jumping to the "About" section

Also, if you add some style to the contact form it will result more appealing. Nice job!

Kind regards,
    Otto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reticulogic View Post
    First impression is really good. I immediately think that a graphic artist built the site.

Funny, that I waited and started at the main 44 page for a few seconds waiting for something to happen. Perhaps a delayed page switch if someone is staring at the 44 page for too long would be good.
    The links that blow up an image look really good.

All in all I think the site is good and to the point, but that submit button, c'mon. After seeing the site, my expectation was so much greater. :-P

-
    Reticulogic
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto+ View Post
    Hi zeeb, I think you got most of your goals done.

The only suggestions that I have is adding some little line of text in the landing section that helps to get an idea of what is the site about, because the big "44" standing alone could be a little bit confusing, so I think that some introductory line could help a lot to get the user interest before jumping to the "About" section

Also, if you add some style to the contact form it will result more appealing. Nice job!

Kind regards,
    Otto
    Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree about the contact form. I will add styling. I like to use JotForm because it is so easy to maintain. Then I style them using CSS. I have some minor tweaks to do on the site now. Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeb44 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree about the contact form. I will add styling. I like to use JotForm because it is so easy to maintain. Then I style them using CSS. I have some minor tweaks to do on the site now. Thanks everyone.
    Sure zeeb44!, your site will look great with those modifications done.

P.S.: If you get the chance may be you can help me with a site over here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...-review-a-site , I will really appreciate it.

Regards!,
    Otto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up changing it so it automatically goes to the about page after 2 seconds. Untill I make a home page. I think this will suffice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so not only did I make it automatically scroll to the about page after 2 second. I also added rollover effects on the work page. So you can now visit the sites and have a little more information on each project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clicked on some of your portfolios and you seem to be talented. Surely you must have received some positive feedback from the site owners. Why don't you put some of their reviews on your portfolio site? I'll bet it will do wonders for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benram76 View Post
    I clicked on some of your portfolios and you seem to be talented. Surely you must have received some positive feedback from the site owners. Why don't you put some of their reviews on your portfolio site? I'll bet it will do wonders for you.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I will definitely reach out to people I have worked for and get their feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design, but when loading it on my laptop (resolution 1366 x 768) in the about section the bottom "fireworks" and "Javascript" is cut off an im unable to scroll and see them, which could be an issue for lower resolution screens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed some things around. Added a new project on logo design I just did. Made it so you can now scroll using the scroll bar on my site incase your resolution is smaller than a 17 inch screen. Also made the back ground in a fixed position so only the middle part scrolls. Please take a look and would love more feed back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please take another look at my site. I have integrated Wordpress into my site and also have highly developed the mobile version. Looks best on iPhone. I think it looks just as good on androids too. Please let me know what you think?