SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought there should not be much writing on the home page.

It should be links to other parts of the site.

The home page is a reference point for other parts rather than information itself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    However, I still dare say that Ma and Pa's Books and Notions will never get ahead of Amazon.com or Barnes an Nobles unless they can either (as I said before) 1) show expertise in an area that neither of these deep-pocket competitors show or 2)offer a service or product that neither offers.
    I'll concede that it is very hard for a site to rank above a big player, but it's not impossible. A strong content strategy, including the addition of content that, as you said, shows expertise that other websites don't have is a good way of gaining rankings. By offering the sort of information that no other site does is a way to rank highly for specific long-tail and generic keyword searches. UGC is another useful tool in this, as it's free and is naturally optimised for the sorts of search terms that you wouldn't normally optimise for and that your users are actually using. Using content in this way can rank websites above official sites for keywords, especially when the 'official' site has been lazy with its content.

In any event, their ability to draw a target audience through search engine results will stem from the keyword phrase they use to optimize the page. Today, in another thread, a member suggested that you simply choose a keyword the competition isn't using to rank well in search results. I say, go ahead if you want to waste your time. If no competitor is using it, it's likely that no searcher is using it either. Could be wonderful to be #1 on a page that nobody sees.
    Completely agree with you hear. It's the old saying 'if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?'. 'If a website ranks #1 for a keyword that nobody is searching for, does it really rank?'.

Thanks for the support Rudy, but I believe that WordsofWorth and I are working towards a civil agreement to disagree. I enjoy the debate. It sure beats reading fluff!
    Quite agree, it has been an interesting discussion.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should put your traveling route list on your home page content.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since the op has not come back to this thread to comment, thread closed.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown