1. The site is excruciatingly slow, even on my dual-ISDN connection. It takes well over a minute before anything appears on the screen. However, the size of the front page is quite acceptable, so a slow server perhaps? (just FYI : the entire page took about 3.5 mins to load)
2. No BODY tag!
3. The time in the top right is useless. I think we know where to look for the time, thanks
4. Get a PHP compiling error :
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
Warning: Unable to resolve 184.108.40.206 in /home/htdocs/leo/nortiq/www/resadmin/stats.php on line 11 (right down the bottom)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This appears throughout the site.
5. What's the login/pw next to the date for? Info please...
6. The slogan 'Where creativity knows no boundaries' probably needs to stand out a bit more - it seems to fade too much into the black background.
7. The 'Add Bookmark' JScript doesn't work in Netscape - to circumvent this maybe add an alert for Netscape users to Press Ctrl+D instead.
8. Suggestion : with the services/misc links etc., repeat them (in text, maybe) down the bottom.
9. With the latest news, offer direct links to the news or the appropriate page.
That all said and done, I must highly complement you on a very clean-designed site. Great to look at, funky and very readable. Once you get all the content in and solve the slow server issue it can well be a kick-ass site.
[This message has been edited by BC (edited August 10, 2000).]
Thanks for your really wonderful review. Let me explain a little more.
1) Regarding the slow speed, 30 mins before I made this post ( taking the time when I made this post ), my host informed me that they are currently beginning to do maintenance. And therefore the FTP would be malfunction and there might be some side effects like downtime once in a while and significant drop in speed.
2) The server nortiq.com is on is located in singapore, so maybe there is some bottleneck affecting connection speeds?
When I made this design, I set it to load in lss then 20 seconds on 20 seconds on a 28.8 kb modem. Currently , it takes average 10 seconds to load the main web design, and a few more seconds loading the advertiser buttons/images.
The reason for the 10 second wait is due to the images being preloaded. ( it looks horrible when you see the images slowly loading ...). Myabe you could help by teaching me how to display a message saying 'page + images loading now' or something like that? Thanks
This script will decide, based on the browser to load different forms of body tags due to incompatibility issues. So technicaly, if you're the browser, you'll recognise a body tag.
4) The time fetaure is basically just as a "design" feature. It doens't look good without any info there. as it goes, many tiny details make a perfect whole =)
5)for te php error, thast because whn you accessed it, my host was already doing maintenance. If you try again, it'll not show. one reason which i;'m quite sure of is when you accessed the index.php file, the other stuffs were already not accessible. that explains the error "unable to resolve".
If you actually took few minutes to load, have you considered the fact that the browser might be trying to resolve this php file? So its not the load size actually.
6) the usename and password is for the login sequence of the start page where it displays stocks, weather, saves data, favourites, addressbook, note pad, web hosting login, web-based html login etc. This feature is still under developemnt. hence the no-link access to it. =)
7) yes. I know of this. this is what I planned, but haven't done. if its netscape browser 4, it'll not display the homepage and bookmark. if its netscpae 6, it'll not show the 2 too, but have an addition feature, adding the custom nortiq sidebar.
8) hmm...regaridng the services.misc links, ther are the "gateway" for major sections of the site. the bottom with all he other stuffs, are the pages for that specific "gateway" which is home.
9) yup. its gonna have anchor tags. if you look to the left of this latest news, there are underlinked ? marks right? yup. thats for the anchoring. =)
Thanks a million for your wonderful review! Maybe i should have explaned these few stuffs, but anyway, I appreciate your help. btw,..do you have aol browser?
As I end this post, my host informed me that in 5 mis time, the server should be back online. (SHOULD =)) therefore, I'll make an update on the features you have adviced me on.
I'm glad that it loads faster now. =)
I've pretty much made the text size that way. So it wouldn't resize according to the browser text specifications.
If I'm correct however, many major sites use this font size too. I could make it resizable based on the browser specs, but it'll affect the layout and design. As i wish to be able to accomodate all major browsers etc., either way I have to give way.
Therefore, I chose to support more browsers etc. then allow this setting to be adjustable. However, due to yur feedback, I'll be more then glad to look int tis and see if I can come up with any ingenious idea.
Maybe by increasing the font ize by .5 point...or so..
Thanks for your wonderful feedback. =)
is the image for nortiq.com which shows the "where creativity knows no boundaries" really unclear? coz when i edit the mage and remove the anti-aliased...the text just becomes white...juz wanna know your opinions...as i don't really think its a problem? what you think guys? thanks
[This message has been edited by lynlimz (edited August 11, 2000).]
The front page looks great! Very professional and easy to read. A few points:
<LI> I don't care for the scrolling marquee.
<LI> Once you've clicked on the items on the top nav bar, the hover effect no longer works.
<LI> What is the "News :: Latest" section at the top for?
<LI> I don't think the "site update : 11/8/2000" line needs to be at the top. I'd move that to the bottom. In general, I don't think people really care, and if you're going to have news items on your front page anyway, then the update date will already be readily apparent.
<LI> It might look better if the two main content columns were equal width.
Randy Rasa <A HREF="http://www.solitairecentral.com/
it doens't hover as you clicked it. click elsewhere and it'll hover again. coz when you click it, its in active mode.
news::latest is to display news headings in other parts of the sites. this also counts to the site update:??? thingy.
equal column doen't work here. it was equal column before..but i edited and made them to their lengths required by the amount of nformation to be entered in the respective columns
I've increased the load time of the page by 50% , a 1/2 fold and pages appear almost instantly in 56 k modem. what i did was remove the preload script. browsing too and fro is extremely fast too as images are reloaded again.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by lynlimz: elledan,
could you do me a favor by printing a screenshot and sending to me at email@example.com pls? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uhm... I'd like to do you this favor, but then someone has to explain to me how you can take a screenshot in Linux (simply pressing 'Print Screen'? I'll try it that way first, but I don't promise anything yet. Therefore I'm too much a Linux newbie
Hmm..justin...what do you suggest I change the text to?
I suggest you completly get rid of the scrolling text. Just make the white spot the same color as every thing around it. I find it stands out to much and makes the page look to busy. Thats just a personal opinion. But your really doing a good job on the site. I find that I always add to much little gagets to the page and then it looks to busy too.