User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

The New @Tagging Mod Here On The Forums

We've just installed a really cool new mod here on the forums which allows you to @ tag members in posts.
    @ tagging someone will notify them that they've been mentioned in a thread.

An @ tag works by wrapping [ mention ] tags around a username, which in turn links to that member's profile and it looks like this: @HAWK

You can tag someone several ways:
    1. Click the Screen Shot 2011-12-21 at 5.42.30 PM.png button in your GUI
    2. Type an @ followed by their username (as you would in Twitter)
    3. Use the Tag User(s) field above the Reply To Thread button

A tagged user will be notified via their Notifications indicator (top right of the screen) or via the new Thread Tags tab under your Profile.

So... if you need to ask a question or get the attention of someone specific, make sure you @ tag them.

Chopped Liver bronze trophy imaginekitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test @HAWK .

Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I can't see the forest for the trees because I'm not seeing the point of tagging someone

If you want to get someone's attention can't you just PM them or make a post in the thread? and if the tagged member just gets a notice that they've been mentioned in a thread, they then have to go over to the thread to see why someone tagged them. And how do you plan stopping nuisance tagging?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess it is the twitter experience... in the forum. It may be fun... let's test this... @molona , @ScallioXTX , @spikeZ , @blackmax , @AndrewCooper , @xhtmlcoder , @ULTiMATE , @Crazybanana , @guido2004 , @SpacePhoenix ... can't think of any other names right now... but let's see if all of them realize that I mentioned them in this thread... hehe

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mentioned myself but I see no notifications... Is it because me and myself are the same person?

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Height View Post
    I think I can't see the forest for the trees because I'm not seeing the point of tagging someone

If you want to get someone's attention can't you just PM them or make a post in the thread? and if the tagged member just gets a notice that they've been mentioned in a thread, they then have to go over to the thread to see why someone tagged them. And how do you plan stopping nuisance tagging?
    Its easier to check your notifications if you have been tagged than to keep checking for your username or checking back to every thread you have posted in. Sure folks can PM you too.

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I guess it is the twitter experience... in the forum. It may be fun... let's test this... @molona , @ScallioXTX , @spikeZ , @blackmax , @AndrewCooper , @xhtmlcoder , @ULTiMATE , @Crazybanana , @guido2004 , @SpacePhoenix ... can't think of any other names right now... but let's see if all of them realize that I mentioned them in this thread... hehe

I mentioned myself but I see no notifications... Is it because me and myself are the same person?
    Yes, you can tag yourself but it wont increase your mentions count. Stops the nuisance tagging!
    Last edited by molona; Dec 21, 2011 at 03:08. Reason: correcting my tipo
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Its easier to check your notifications if you have been tagged than to keep checking for your username or checking back to every thread you have posted in. Sure folks can PM you too.
    yeah ok, thanks. I can see it has some merit but what's stopping someone going around tagging users just for the fun of it and consequently wasting other people's time when they go look up why they were tagged.

Just had a thought .. Do we have the option in our profile settings to switch off being tagged just like we can switch off PM's from other members?

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Any OTT tagging or abuse of the tagging system would result in a warning for the member. If you find that someone is abusing the system then feel free to report them using the flag icon on the left and they will be dealt with appropriately.

As far as I can tell, you can't turn off tagging but in the unlikely event that it becomes an issue then the plugin could well be hacked up to incorporate it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy chris.upjohn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @HAWK , i like it. Makes the forum feel more social now

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ha! I can even see the number of times that I've been mentioned or tagged! Right under my picture. This is a brilliant idea. I like it!

Now for another stupid question... if tag=mention then why I have two counts, one for tags and another for mentions?

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @molona you may get mentioned 5 times in 1 thread posts and 1 time in 5 other threads (see the top of the thread where I have tagged you!) so it counts both

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    tag != mention

mention is when I do this: @molona

and tag is when I add your name to the box at the top of the page
    spftagging.jpg

Rémon - Hosting Advisor

SitePoint forums will switch to Discourse soon! Make sure you're ready for it!

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I do quite like the tagging feature I worry about it clashing with features like the quote button. If we can tag members it would also make a lot of sense to make it so that if a post is quoted a user is alerted, similarly to how things were on vB3 and the old design.

Additionally, this functionality needs to be styled in a bit better as the current styles could still use some work.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    Although I do quite like the tagging feature I worry about it clashing with features like the quote button. If we can tag members it would also make a lot of sense to make it so that if a post is quoted a user is alerted, similarly to how things were on vB3 and the old design.

Additionally, this functionality needs to be styled in a bit better as the current styles could still use some work.
    Quoting now also gets a notification alert.
    You should get one for this for example. Only noticed it doing this earlier today though!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    tag != mention

mention is when I do this: @molona

and tag is when I add your name to the box at the top of the page
    spftagging.jpg

So if I get it right... I can only be tagged once per thread... but mentioned multiple times in the same thread.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So if I get it right... I can only be tagged once per thread... but mentioned multiple times in the same thread.
    That's how I understand it, yes.

Let's see. @molona .

Edit:

Yes, before my mention just now you were mentioned 3 times, now you're mentioned 4 times
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So will this find its way into Search? (or more accurately will this Filter be added)

use case: I know there was a thread not long ago, I don't remember the subject but I do remember that ScallioXTX made a comment on it because I [ mention ]-ed him.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cups View Post
    So will this find its way into Search? (or more accurately will this Filter be added)

use case: I know there was a thread not long ago, I don't remember the subject but I do remember that ScallioXTX made a comment on it because I [ mention ]-ed him.
    You can see any mentions you make in your own profile (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/usercp.php) as well under the "Mentions" tab.
    So once you've mentioned someone, you can go to your own mentions tab and you'll see it there.

You can also go to my profile and see that I was mentioned by you; it records both ways.
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is really cool. I like it! @HAWK , you really have some great ideas!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    it has potential, but it's being abused right from the get-go

example: todd posts a new thread, so there is only one post in it, then fred replies to it and immediately uses @todd in his reply... i mean, come on, who the heck else would fred be replying to?

i am unimpressed

edit: well, it turns out there actually is a member called @todd , who hasn't visited sitepoint in over a year... let's see if this double mention actually brings him back...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoting now also gets a notification alert.
    Well, reading through this thread I think the whole tag/mention/quote thingy is a bit gimmicky although if used properly it might have some merit. But notifying quotes is way over-kill imo. I just don't see the point of it. When I look down the list of today's posts I can see a little icon on the threads I have posted in and that's all I need. I don't need tag/mention/quote notifications. Why not give us at least the option to switch them off in our profiles rather than impose them on us. Those that want to use the "features", fine they can be free to use them, and those that don't want to be bombarded with useless notifications should be allowed to switch off the "features".

btw - I suppose spikeZ will get a notification for the above quote

That's my rant for the day

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, reading through this thread I think the whole tag/mention/quote thingy is a bit gimmicky although if used properly it might have some merit. But notifying quotes is way over-kill imo. I just don't see the point of it. When I look down the list of today's posts I can see a little icon on the threads I have posted in and that's all I need. I don't need tag/mention/quote notifications. Why not give us at least the option to switch them off in our profiles rather than impose them on us. Those that want to use the "features", fine they can be free to use them, and those that don't want to be bombarded with useless notifications should be allowed to switch off the "features".
    I wouldnt say that a counter at the top of the page is 'bombarding' but hey, if it bugs you then the devs can have a look at it.

btw - I suppose spikeZ will get a notification for the above quote
    Yes I did, thanks

Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    If you don't like it, ignore it.

I like it because I have to search for myself (HAWK and Sarah) several times a day in order to answer questions that people ask. If I was tagged it would make things a whole lot easier.

I also hope that it increases the sense of community and the activity levels.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt say that a counter at the top of the page is 'bombarding' but hey, if it bugs you then the devs can have a look at it.
    Yes, the counter itself is not a bombardment. I just don't see how it can be justified to not give members the option to switch off these "features". But I suppose like with anything else we don't see the point of, we have the option to ignore it.

Btw - I see another member in this thread is not impressed, initially at least, with the new "features". So we're not the only ones.