User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    The problem, Paul, is that you've assumed the same number of people in each country. By simply taking an average of the %ages, you've given China (pop ~1.4bn) the same significance as Finland (pop ~5m) and every other country in between. What you would need to do is to work out the total number of people in each country, and the total number using IE6, and use that to calculate the global average.
    OK, slight change to the calculation, it needs to be on the number of internet users in a country, rather than the total population.

Using the proportions on IE6countdown and the internet-using-population figures from Wikipedia, I make the proportion of internet users still in the Dark Ages as 7.0% with China, or 1.5% without. The slight variance between 7.0% and 6.2% is almost certainly down to slightly different data sets, but it isn't far out.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    The problem, Paul, is that you've assumed the same number of people in each country. By simply taking an average of the %ages, you've given China (pop ~1.4bn) the same significance as Finland (pop ~5m) and every other country in between. What you would need to do is to work out the total number of people in each country, and the total number using IE6, and use that to calculate the global average.
    Thanks, that makes better sense. Just as a percentage of the internet using population we end up at a more reasonable 7% percent, so the 6.2% figure does now seems to be more reasonable.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    @ralph.m ;
    I am not a mac user, so I'd be interested to know the steps involved in upgrading.
    These days, assuming you have an internet connection, you head over to the Mac App Store, find the latest OS, and download it. (An account needs to be set up first, if he doesn't already have one.) From that point, the whole upgrade happens by itself. (It's worth backing up the computer first, of course—using TimeMachine, SuperDuper or whatever. But I've never had a problem upgrading ... in 20 something years.)

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL! 1/6 of the world's popular is in china

@ralph.m ;
    I assume it's free? Maybe?
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    I assume it's free? Maybe?
    Ah, no. It's around $35 where I live (hence the need for an account). That seems a lot more reasonable that the price of upgrading Windows (... but I get criticized when I cite prices for that, so I'll keep my mouth shut. ).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already, IE6 is gone...next IE7,IE8...Keep on going like this because people may looking for advanced version...when it comes they forgot about the old version.