SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When reviewing keep in mind this wasn't meant to be flashy or made only for design reason accomplishment. It's mainly there for the interaction between customers. I modeled it after one of my favorite sites, frontofficefootball.com, they as well weren't going for the 'flashy' look. I just put it up the other day and alot of improvement is needed, so any advice would be helpful. I'm at http://www.wcbmfansite.com
    Thanks

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is approved ~~~

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what people keep telling me, but I like it there. No one else does that so it's in a unique position. Also, The table that the nav bar is in, reaches to the end of the page, if I switched the poll with the nav bar, there would be a gap for 1/2 of the page. That looked odd, so now the nav bar is in the center.

[This message has been edited by pac91303 (edited June 29, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is different with the nav bar in the middle. I actually like the different effect it has. It would be nice to make the buttons mouse over. The rest of the front page is really empty looking. Needs more content. The World of Boxing graphic at the bottom is really blurry. Load time is good at 56K.

------------------
    Web Design by Sesran
    www.sesran.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. Aside from text sizing, spacing & positioning, here are a few things that need fixing & some ideas you may want to use.

1. More information on your front page. There is a lot of wasted space.

2. Try to get your graphics a little better.

3. I know you're aware of the positioning of your buttons, (I have no problem with being different) but they were meant to be used on a white background. Also, the text used on them is very generic & off centered. You should set your border thickness around the buttons to 0. One more thing, you may not want to use any spacing in between them.

4. The border size for the table used for your buttons & the table used for your voting section should be set to 0.

5. Your F.A.Q buttons on the Archives & Sponsers pages have HTML extensions on them.

6. The text e-mail links on the right side of your site should be cleaned up. The underline runs into the brackets.

Just a little tweaking here & there will improve your site quite a bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. I changed the border thickness on the nav bar table and poll table (exceptions being the frontpage and archives, I don't know why it won't update). The content will be fixed as soon as there is some news (I just opened yesterday). So all that white space on the left will get filled up. I can't really get the graphics any better without enlarging them and I don't think I can do that. I fixed all the email links and will work on the button thickness. But if you go to any of the pages (excpet the front and archives) I have that light grey area I can't get rid of. I tried changing the color on the table and the cell, but it dosen't work. I'm using Frontpage 98 if anyone has some ideas.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed the button border thickness as well. Still can't get rid of that light grey area.

[This message has been edited by pac91303 (edited June 29, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your talking about the light grey area between your buttons & voting area, go to the very top of your buttons column till your curser changes to a little black arrow pointing down. Click once & the whole colum will be highlighted. Go ahead & change the cell color to white.

I saved your front page & did the above, plus changed the cell color where your buttons are to white & set your border thickness to 0 on your buttons to see what it would look like. I think you'll like how it looks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot for the help Editors. That small area has been a problem since day 1. I'm thinking about changing the cells to white, but isn't that a little to much white and not enough color variety?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Justin,

I was in the middle of changing the colors when I saw the post from Editors. I went ahead and made a few changes anyway and will email them to you.

I changed the buttons to be closer together which will mean a lot less scrolling for those with smaller monitors/screen resolutions.

I'm a big fan of using the includes feature of FrontPage 98. My advice is make one copy of your nav table as a separate page. You can do that by highlighting the nav on a current page and then copy and paste it into a new page. (I put my header, footer and navigation pieces in an 'off-line' folder in the FP Web). Then on each page use the 'Insert FrontPage Component' button (looks like a robot) to insert your pieces. That way, if you want to add a new button you just do it once and all the pages pick it up from the component. Since this all happens on the client side, you will have to FTP all the pages to your server when you change a component.

I also cleaned up the 'world of boxing' graphic at the bottom and will email 3 versions - unoptimized jpeg (19K), optimized jpeg (4K), and my choice, optimized GIF (3K). Hope you like them. I use PhotoShop but it has a little brother, called PhotoDeluxe that's about $49 (or free with many digital cameras). PhotoDeluxe does many of the PhotoShop functions (layers, text, blending, etc.) without the $500 price tag. I use the Image Optimizer from www.xat.com for the jpeg's and GIF Movie Gear from www.moviegear.com/gmglab.htm for the GIF's.

Hope this helps,
    Bill Todd www.adinet.net
    check the Galloping Globe Gallery at www.adinet.net/Globe_HTML if you need any spinning globe graphics.

PS - If you use the component approach, you can build a counter component using the counter available free at www.webtrendslive.com. Just include the same counter on every page. You will get unique counts for each page automagically!!
    You can check out what the stats look like at: http://www.webtrendslive.com/report/...4976&public=on

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks btodd, all you guys have been a huge help. I'll check out all that stuff as soon as I get it. there's one other problem I'm having. Maybe you guys looking at it through Frontpage can help. If your looking at the page in 'normal' view. The nav bar has that outline around each side of it. My question is how to get rid of it?. I'm thinking I did something with shared borders a while back, but I'm not sure.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said it's not suppose to be flashy, but the page still looks too bland. The coloring and graphics are kind of incoherent. Try switch the position of some of them around, change some colours. Since I really didn't have much to do today, I made a logo for your site, it's the same width as the current one, and you can see if it's better or give you some ideas. Oh yeah, you should consider set all image borders to 0, because they're generally really ugly.

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~mansion/wcbm.gif

It's nice to see someone finally make a fansite for WCBM (or just I haven't noticed?). I am a fan of all these sports management games (FoF, Baseball Mogul, Championship Manager...), so if you need any help, I am here.

------------------
    The CardBoard Box Mansion -
    Humorous rants on society, politics, and the meaning of life.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will change all the image border to zero. This is the first, and offical, WCBM Fansite. Alex is going to send a newsletter about it out today.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pac91303,
    Hope some of the following are of assistance:
    1)You have different font styles (ie serif and non-serif) for no apparent reason. I think you should streamline them
    2)Having an icon there for IE just infers you can't code for all browsers. For a site such as yours it should not be too difficult to get it to look reasonably standard across different browsers.
    3)Having the centre navigation where you have it just doesn't work for me. It interupts the flow of the information on the page and I think dominates the page too much - look at how much of the display users will lose because of the large buttons. Users will come to your site for the information on it, not for pretty navigation features.
    4)I was going to say something nasty about your putting the date on the front page (I know what date it is - my watch and computer tells me) but then I noticed that it was the wrong date! I know we're slightly ahead of you here in Thailand - but not three days ahead!
    5)The amil bit should go to a form, not straight to an email address

I hope some of that is of help

Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonzo, thanks for the input.
    1. Where are you seeing different text?
    2. I fixed the Netscape prblem and removed the IE logo.
    3. I still don't think the nav bar is wierd. All information is located on the far left, so no space is being lost. That empty space below the poll will proably become full with ads of some sort, so I'll have 2 filled up tables on the right. Where would the nav bar go then?
    4. Yeah, don't really need the time. Or maybe it can go under the poll...
    5. I've wanted to put a form for the email, but haven't had the time. I'll work on it soon.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >1. Where are you seeing different text?

OK, front page starting eith: "Welcome to the official..." is a non-serif font being size X, then in the boxer voting thing, the "what kind of boxer.." is a non-serif font size Y,then "E-mail me with comments..." is in a serif font, different size.
    That is the kind of thing I mean.

Re the nav bar, I guess its just personal opinion - I think it is too big and dominates the screen - if it was me I'd use buttons about a fifth of the side and run it horizontal across the top, but then I'm a bit of a minimalist!

Cheers

Gonzo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through and made all text uniform, as well as making the poll 1 size smaller to fit in. If I can find the time, I might make the buttons in the nav bar a little smaller. As for the nav bar itself, I removed the Links and Strategy sections, because they are non-essintial as of right now. Keep the idea coming!

[This message has been edited by pac91303 (edited July 01, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, your home page lacks content.
    Your graphics are also a little bit blurry.
    The graphic in the top middle i had to squint to look at. Also, it would be better if the backgrounds of your buttons were gray also.

Cody http://www.bigscripts.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a complete moron regarding graphics, I have to live with how they are. btodd cleared up the bottom one, but that's about all the improvements I can make regarding graphics. As for content, it's on the way. I just opened 3 days ago.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made a few more improvements.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello pac91303,

You may want to think about changing the cell color of your content area from white to another color. You can then change the cell color to white where your buttons are.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll switch the grey and white. I'll look into it anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    added alot more content and changed some borders. anymore suggestions?