User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Website - VeMe - Hand-drawn Vector Portrait Photo Gifts

http://www.veme.co.uk/

We have recently launched this website for our client and new business start-up, VeMe.

Things we know so far:
    Currently, the site isn't fully functional via a mobile device, however we are working on a mobile version.

Please give your reviews and critiques on every aspect of the site, from it's design to it's functionality.

Thank you in advance to all who view and leave constructive feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confusing

In my opinion you have waay to much stuff on your front page. The logo and slogan takes up the entire screen on my computer.

I dont understand the concept of the layout chosen. You have put everything on one site? Why? I would rather have the menubar referring to a different site with the relevant information.

The colors seems okay to me. The purple and yellow works well.

And btw, I would prefer to avoid horizontal scrolling when possible. This becomes an issue quite fast as the layout is very big.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf1987 View Post
    In my opinion you have waay to much stuff on your front page. The logo and slogan takes up the entire screen on my computer.

I dont understand the concept of the layout chosen. You have put everything on one site? Why? I would rather have the menubar referring to a different site with the relevant information.

The colors seems okay to me. The purple and yellow works well.

And btw, I would prefer to avoid horizontal scrolling when possible. This becomes an issue quite fast as the layout is very big.
    Hi. Thanks for your comments and review. I chose to have all the content within one page because I wanted to try out the static menu and footer with a jQuery scroller. Personally I like it, but I absolutely respect the views of others and take on board what is said.

With regards to the horizontal scroll - what screen resolution are you using? The layout is 1000px wide which I'm surprised has issues, unless on a notebook or something.

Thanks you for feedback, you've made some interesting comments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly ever use fullscreen browsing! Actually the size of my window is around 1000px. Not a big issue, but something to take in mind.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf1987 View Post
    I hardly ever use fullscreen browsing! Actually the size of my window is around 1000px. Not a big issue, but something to take in mind.
    Thanks kbf1987, I never make a webpage layout more than 1000px wide for this very reason.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is the width so large? I don't get the point. The font is very big. The site would look good if a person can see it without moving the scrollbars.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main content is held within a container of 900px wide - which is very typical, and almost all monitors, desktop or laptop, will support this.
    The part of the website which is causing the horizontal scrollbar is the 'Next and Previous' buttons in the 'Get Started' section (This is the main section of the website, as this is where the product is formed, customised and ordered).
    Because they are to the left and right of the container, they are causing the page to go to 1200px wide, which is admittedly larger than it should be. I am working on redesigning this somehow to achieve a narrower width.

Thanks for the reviews so far, and hopefully there's some more to come that will critique more than just the width of the website.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't liek how the index page is so massive and overwhelming. The amount of content is a lil over board in my opinion. Yeah, the jQuery slider is cool and a nice feature but I think you should pull it back a bit. The colours are ok, but the logo and menu take up the entire screen when I first view the site and I have a decently large monitor. Maybe try scaling that down a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well! I like the website! There is a specific styles and layouts. It seems to me a little bit huge! Logos, fonts and buttons.
    I suggest to make everything smaller ... so when I open the page I could see only buttons and logo with motto )))
    Good luck and keep it up,
    Fokebox
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Over all I like the impression of this site. It has decent graphic design and suits the subject matter. However there are a few things I would suggest.

I understand wanting to use the Jquery slider . . . its cool! But im not sure if it works in this case. I dig it when the scroll bar is hidden www.frixel.co.uk/ heres one at random. Just not sure if I like the whole page being assessable by scrolling. It can get confusing.

I have to agree that it seems a little over sized. I think it comes down to the large buttons ether side of the video. Perhaps do what you do best and get all illustrative on them?

You may also want to think about making each section hide on any other mouse click. . . . the page ends up HUGE if you keep opening things without closing them manually.

Personaly I think your headed in the right direction tho! Onto a winner

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unusual navigation but you soon figure it out. Why are the fonts so big? Are you targeting the visually impared?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would advise you to not pay heed to any of these tall claims. SEO is not something that can be applied and experienced immediately. Remember the sites that are ranking well have put in a lot of effort to be where they are now.All is not lost though... and things are not really that desolate for a new web site. If you are launching your website now for a market that is already saturated with exiting established sites, you still have a good chance to gain visibility.
    Last edited by spikeZ; Feb 24, 2012 at 14:41. Reason: drop link removed

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good service, however the layout is terrible. There is way too much information on homepage, shorten it up by 75%. The page is too wide also.

The video should be moved above your logo, and truthfully the homepage should be built around the intro video (which btw the video needs some working on).

Never pile a homepage up with every bit of information about your website. Go for more of a simple approach. I would include video, gallery, and place order on homepage. Everything else should be linked to from navigation.
    Founder and CEO of AreYouTaken.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo and the colors are great. They are very bold and perfect for a site like this. I also like the paragraph backgrounds. However, I agree with the others who say the logo is way too big and uses up too much screen real estate. I suggest decreasing the logo by at least 50%.

Also, add some examples of the art (or even the whole gallery) to the top. Keep in mind that a lot of people may not know what a hand-drawn vector portrait photo is, so they would need to see an example right away before they would know what this site is about.

I am iffy on having one page with all the content. I like the scrolling. I do not think it is too hard for people to use and it is kind of edgy. However, as you add more content (such as blog and careers, which are empty now), it will become way too cumbersome. So I suggest breaking it down into multiple pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your new website seems to be interesting. Good luck !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I main criticism would be - it's all very big.

In regards to the whole motherload of content dished up immediately - I would limit what you can see. I don't mind the whole scrolling navigation thing but maybe have it so you can only see one section at a time. For example the user when viewing the logo/home page bit can't scroll down to see the video, instead they click "get started" to view it - it then scrolls down to the video and the user can neither scroll up to view the header or down to view the FAQ unless they use the navigation. This way you can't limit your content but still keep the same concept.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website but required some changes like unusual front size.