SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy website critiquing folks,

I just finished re-vamping my humor site, brainofbrian.com. It is at a new domain and hasn't been released yet. This is where you come in! Before I release it, I want to get it as tweaked to perfection as possible.

Everything is active on Brain of Brian except for the "Postcards" section, which is still in use on my old site. Right before I release this site, I will switch the postcards over to it.

I want to know what you think of the colors, layout, load time, graphics, html, and general presentation. Also, if you find any errors, I'd be very grateful to know about them!

Thank you,
    Christy D
    http://www.brainofbrian.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Good site.. Straight text though. Might need a few graphics to jazz it up. Good thing is it loads fast.

You might want to update your useless facts though because I am sure the following is no longer true:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    The most expensive commercial ever made is one of the most famous. The "1984" Apple Macintosh commercial shown introducing Macintosh to the world ran only once during the 1984 Super Bowl. It was directed by Ridley Scott, and cost around $600,000 to $1 million to make.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless your counting per showing costs which isn't implied. And I hate that commercial for some reason, just can't put my mind on it though.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited July 19, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have just spent my entire lunch hour at your site, I will write a quick critique.

Like the content a lot. Lack of images didn't bother me much as I was too entertained by the text to notice. I did notice a number of grammatical mistakes and would suggest you have someone with strong grammar skills do a once over. With that much text, it is hard not to overlook mistakes, but I know you want it to be as tweaked as possible. Also, I noticed the "Body" section of "Useless Facts" says: "The average cough comes out of your mouth at 60 miles (24 km) per hour." If I remember correctly, miles are (very) roughly twice as long as kilometers, so that the equivalent of 60 mph would be somewhere around 120 kph.

Good luck with the site. I thought it was a lot of fun!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having spend more than half an hour on your site and being totally worn out from laughing too much I'll give a short review:

The menu consist out of red text on a black background, this isn't very clear on 1024x768, so I suggest you change it.

It's a very clean site (maybe too clean) and loads very fast. And since there are no 'strange' technics used on the site, I didn't have any problems viewing it Netscape.
    This sure is one of the most comic sites on the web!

One question: Did you collect all of the content yourself? It's quite a lot...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. The simple layout works well. I like the brain with the name tag for your "home" graphic. The red on black didn't bother me any. The visited links color is sort of hard to read on the white background. The links in the skull graphic on the home page are hard to read, too. I like your font choice for the catagory links (logic, reflexes, reading, etc.) How about a handwriting type font for the What's New page? Typos in the copy you write should not be there, but in comical quotes--that's just part of the charm i.e., tomato or tomatoe.
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Ok, now I'm going to try to reply to them all... *Cracks knuckles*

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Wluke:
    I tend to lean on the light side when it comes to graphics. Where do you suggest I use graphics to jazz it up? Do you mean more graphics in the black sidebar (e.g. In place of the " Parts of Brain," "Interact," and "About" text)? Or do you mean in place of sub-headers (e.g. the "Parts Of Brain " text on the main page under the image map)?

I have removed the useless fact that you mentioned until I can validate it. The useless facts are the hardest part to keep up to date because facts are always changing!

Thank you for your reply!

Sahar:
    I'm glad you enjoyed Brain of Brian!

Are there a lot of obvious grammar mistakes? Is there a main area you notice them in or are they scattered over the site?

Thanks for catching that useless fact mistake! It is now fixed. I don't know how that got by me!

Elledan:
    At what were you laughing? I'll have you know, my site discusses very serious matters. *Tries to keep a straight face*

Staying within the 256-browser safe color palette, I tried several other reddish/orange shades for the red links but none of them looked right. I also tried changing the black sidebar to different grays but that didn't work either. Do you have any suggestions?

One of the points of my site is clean humor. There is plenty of dirty humor out there, so I wanted to create a place were people could go for clean, yet funny, humor.

Yes, I collected all the information myself. I only select jokes that make me laugh out loud and I write the madlibs. It was quite a lot of work, but the reward is in making people laugh. (Of course, there is that money from advertisements thing… but really… I only do it for the noble reason of making people laugh… Really!)

Sahti:
    Thank you for your comments! For the visited link color, I tried going up to the next darkest orange in the 256-color palette, but it was too close to the color red to work.

What would make the links on the skull graphic easier to read? Size change? Color change? Both?

I like the idea of changing the font in "What's New" to a handwriting type font. Is there a way to use a font and make sure it shows up for everyone, besides everyone having it on their computers? I've heard of imbedded fonts, but I don't know how browser-universal that is. What do you think?

Thank you for our reply!

Thank you everyone for your tips! Other updates that have been made due to reviews include:
    -Background edited so that the background works correctly in all resolutions.
    -Madlibs changed from pop-ups to forms.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Christy D http://www.brainofbrian.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by BrainOfBrian:

I like the idea of changing the font in "What's New" to a handwriting type font. Is there a way to use a font and make sure it shows up for everyone, besides everyone having it on their computers? I've heard of imbedded fonts, but I don't know how browser-universal that is. What do you think?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know the best way to accomplish this is to make it an image. In that case you're sure it'll show up the way you want (unless they've graphics off!).
    Good luck!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick reply to your question about grammar mistakes. As an overall percentage of your content, the percentage of mistakes is not that large. But you have SO MUCH content that you are bound to have some mistakes. I spent most of my time in the "Useless Facts" and top ten lists sections. I began writing down the grammar errors yesterday, but then were stopped because there were several and have since thrown the list away. Again I stress that I spent somewhere around an hour reading your site, so . . . . I deliberately did not go back to look for some examples today because I know I'll get sucked in for another hour or so, and I just don't have the time today! But I'd suggest if you have several friends with good grammar skills, have them look over a few pages each. It's almost too much content to try to proofread yourself. Like someone else mentioned, it's not so bothersome since your site is a humor site, but it's something to work on resolving eventually.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "logic", "reflexes" and "giving" links in the skull are the hardest to read--and specifically the "l", "c", "x", and "v". I think either making the font slightly bigger and/or a little bit more kerning (space between the letters). I think the colors are OK (I'm viewing it at 1024 x 768 so at 800 x 600 it may look just fine).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initially, the site looks kind of outdated. Simple text, basic graphics. But you know, its kind of refreshing. And the content is great. I'm really enjoying it. Do you plan to add fresh content at regular intervals? If you did, I imagine many people would bookmark it and spend regular time browsing.

And maybe its there already, but I would suggest you have some sort of daily mailing that people could sign up for. Something like "Useless Fact of the Day". I'd enjoy it.

I really appreciate the effort to keep the humor clean. It can be really tiring to read dirty, jaded humor. Great work.

P.S. This one made me laugh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan:
    Graphics are one idea. I think it's not worth the trouble, load time, and risk of someone having their graphics turned off though. Ah well, it was a good idea in theory. Thanks!

Sahar:
    I will be working on the grammar errors and I've find one person to help me so far. I appreciate your help as well!

I have to admit I have designed Brain of Brian to suck people in for exactly an hour, then let them go. Don't ask me why...An hour just seems like such a nice amount of time...

Sahti:
    Thank you for clarifying. I will look into changing that. The image map is basically there for looks and not direction. I've been thinking of making it into only an image instead of an image map. What do you think?

adam_shep:
    I would actually like to get into flash and more advanced DHTML but it's just not universal enough yet. I want my site to be accessible to most browsers since it is content driven. I'm glad to know someone found my lack of site candy refreshing. However, if there are some slight improvements I can do to make the site look a little more updated, I'd love to hear them!

I had actually designed a daily mailing list and set up a sign up page, when I thought more about it and decided against it. I may run one in the future but right now, I want to devote my time to keeping the content updated. I realized from my last site I couldn't do everything at once. I have to say I was shocked. I think, though, it's better to run no mailing list, then to run a sporadic one! Thank you for your suggestion though, and I may implement it in the future.

To answer your question, yes I intend to update the content monthly to bi-monthly. I actually have a good amount of new content ready to add. I just like to make people wait... I also have a mailing list set up for people that would like to be notified of updates.

Thanks for your comments!

Christy D
    http://www.brainofbrian.com

P.S. Cats with buttered toast strapped to their back? Now THAT'S what I call entertainment!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site. The content kept me glued as I scrolled down the useless facts section. I registered webfactoid.com to make a similar site, but didn't pursue the project... If you're interested in purchasing it, I feel that the domain would be put to good use redirecting to your useless facts page. Only suggestion is this for your site: the brain graphic. Improve it. I want to be impressed from the beginning. The graphic is not representative of all that you have to offer -- it is amateur looking and doesn't look right in an AOL browser. Good luck with the site.

"The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it."
    Seriously? I will call Hershey's customer support this evening.

David from http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.TV: The channel for webmasters.
    FREE ADVERTISING - SITE IMPROVEMENT - NEWS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really quite easy to run a daily quote mailing. You can have a text file with a bunch of quotes - a few lines per quote will do - and then have a script automate the sending process. Once a day it sends an email to your subscribers with one of the quotes in the text file. It requires a bit of set up time, and then just runs itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brian,

First impressions were bad I`m afraid, at least at 1024x768 they were. Lots of white space, that can be good but you have a packed and long navigation which seems so cramped for little reason

The overly small skull image has one of those novely navigations on it which annoy me. I don`t know what the links lead to and I like to know this before I click anything.

The plain text navigation links on the left hand side of the screen were hard to read being red text against black. Also with so much white in the main screen this has an even more powerful effect of washing out the subtle changes between red and black.

On a positive note the site loaded quickly

I didn`t go far beyond the main page, which is a little unfair but the site wasnt really for me, and perhaps I made that judgement based on not really know what brians brain was all about in the first place.

I`d suggest a much larger logo or expand the brain into something of a key feature to interest visitors, the site loads quick enough to allow this I think.

------------------
    Garry Lacey
    The Creative Resource
    www.sc2.redhotant.com