SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quickest way to send data to javascript?

I'm creating a php website which uses javascript (jquery) to draw a google map and place up to about 500 markers.

Currently, php creates an xml file for javascript to read and place markers accordingly (loosely based on this tutorial -http://www.sitepoint.com/google-maps-api-jquery/)

I have < 2meg connection, but it is quick enough on latest browsers. IE 8 is REALLY slow to both draw initial map and sometimes gives up before placing markers.

Tried ditching the xml idea and using httpRequest instead, to get the info real-time from php. It works, but the markers appear really slowly.

Just wondering if there is a quicker way to pass the information to javascript?

Each marker needs id, longitude, latitude and title.

php currently uses a session to store an array of place ids (the result of a search) and then looks up other info in mysql.

Would appreciate any advice on the best way of getting my marker info into javascript.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treacle0996 View Post
    Would appreciate any advice on the best way of getting my marker info into javascript.
    How about having a php file that responds with javascript code, and having the HTML page request the javascript code from that location?
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript